PDA

View Full Version : BC Gulfstream 1999

Tampa Russ
03-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Just watching the 1999 BC replay from Gulfstream on HRTV. The palce was so alive. I'm switching channels now. It's just too depressing to watch, knowing what was, and what kind of debacle the place is today.

Vinman
03-21-2011, 08:34 PM
I was at the '89 BC at Gulfstream. Very electric atmosphere. I'll never forget the sight of the flashbulbs popping in a "wave" around the Clubhouse turn as Easy Goer & Sunday Silence went by.

Vinman

rrpic6
03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
I saw Easy Goer run in the Swale in March of 89 at old Gulfstream. He was the most imposing, built, fit horse I've ever seen in my life. Watching the 99 BC sure brings back lots of great memories.

RR

Vinman
03-21-2011, 08:54 PM
I saw Easy Goer run in the Swale in March of 89 at old Gulfstream. He was the most imposing, built, fit horse I've ever seen in my life. Watching the 99 BC sure brings back lots of great memories.

RR

I was there that day as well. Spent the day with 3 buddies at a great table in the Patio Terrace outdoor dining area....Pete Axthelm used to hang at the bar there. Watched Easy Goer dispose of Trion in the Swale before seeing Mercedes Won win the Fla. Derby. We all got out for the day in the turf finale on a horse named Eagle Watch, ridden by Jose Santos. Then we went to Flashdancers : )

One of my "top 10" days of racing.

Vinman

Golf and Horses
03-22-2011, 06:51 PM
I had seats in the temporary stands at the 1/4 pole in 99. But we never used them. Around the back of those same stands they had tents set up with tellers and TV's and also plenty of tables with umbrellas and chairs. We plopped our stuff onto one of those and thats where we stayed for the day. They were doing in house shows from the tent and we got to talk with a few of the guests and hosts. Julie Krone...Mike Welch...etc... we had a blast and Silic made my day!! Only been back once...in 2001. Prior to the make over.

ManeMediaMogul
03-23-2011, 06:32 AM
I loved the old Gulfstream.

Then I hated the new Gulfstream.

Now I love the new Gulfstream.

It's like the Julio Iglesias song..."I love you, then I hate you, then I love you more..."

It is a very fun, energy-filled racing venue now. Don't believe all the geezers that wish they could return to the good old days. Give the new Gulfstream a try and I think you will enjoy yourself.

classhandicapper
03-23-2011, 11:47 AM
I was at the '89 BC at Gulfstream. Very electric atmosphere. I'll never forget the sight of the flashbulbs popping in a "wave" around the Clubhouse turn as Easy Goer & Sunday Silence went by.

Vinman

I was at that one too (been at quite a few :lol:). Great day of racing.

egreen
03-23-2011, 11:49 AM
The new Gulfstream is undoubtedly the worst venue in existence for watching live racing. No sight lines, no seats, no way to see the horses except in walking ring for a couple of minutes before each race. If you like watching races on television, even while horses are running just yards away, then this is the place for you.

Richie
03-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Vinman

I was there too. And I remember the flashbulbs too. I have it on film and you can see the tons flashing on that first turn. I also remember my 800 ex straight on Easy-sunday :mad:

mistergee
03-23-2011, 01:26 PM
The new Gulfstream is undoubtedly the worst venue in existence for watching live racing. No sight lines, no seats, no way to see the horses except in walking ring for a couple of minutes before each race. If you like watching races on television, even while horses are running just yards away, then this is the place for you.
rght on the $

precocity
03-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Vinman

I was there too. And I remember the flashbulbs too. I have it on film and you can see the tons flashing on that first turn. I also remember my 800 ex straight on Easy-sunday :mad:
:lol: well very close to the big hit...