PDA

View Full Version : School Let's Bully Off the Hook!?

boxcar
03-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Some of you may have seen this vid, which has attracted huge attention on the web.

Video Of Bullying Victim Bodyslamming His Bully Goes Viral, Media Firestorm Likely To Ensue

Here's what it says at the bottom of this article:

We have seen no reports regarding what happened to the bully, but he appeared to injured as he struggled to walk around after the incident. Apparently, Casey got suspended from school for his actions and could face further discipline, while the kid picking on him allegedly received no punishment.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/video-of-bully-victim-body-slamming-his-antagonizer-goes-viral-media-firestorm-clouds-form/

The world has become an insane asylum and the inmates are in charge. How can anyone fault Casey for protecting himself is beyond my comprehension. Is the school saying that we don't have a right to self-protection?

And one other thing is very noteworthy on this video: Look carefully at what Casey did after he cleaned this bully's clock: He walked away! He didn't stick around taunting the kid, making fun of him, ridiculing him or any thing of this nature. I have the feeling he didn't even like doing what he felt he had to do. I see some character in this kid.

Boxcar

mostpost
03-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Some of you may have seen this vid, which has attracted huge attention on the web.

Video Of Bullying Victim Bodyslamming His Bully Goes Viral, Media Firestorm Likely To Ensue

Here's what it says at the bottom of this article:

We have seen no reports regarding what happened to the bully, but he appeared to injured as he struggled to walk around after the incident. Apparently, Casey got suspended from school for his actions and could face further discipline, while the kid picking on him allegedly received no punishment.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/media/video-of-bully-victim-body-slamming-his-antagonizer-goes-viral-media-firestorm-clouds-form/

The world has become an insane asylum and the inmates are in charge. How can anyone fault Casey for protecting himself is beyond my comprehension. Is the school saying that we don't have a right to self-protection?

And one other thing is very noteworthy on this video: Look carefully at what Casey did after he cleaned this bully's clock: He walked away! He didn't stick around taunting the kid, making fun of him, ridiculing him or any thing of this nature. I have the feeling he didn't even like doing what he felt he had to do. I see some character in this kid.

Boxcar
The world has turned upside down. I'm agreeing with Boxcar. The smaller kid was clearly the aggressor. Casey was defending himself. The school probably has a zero tolerance policy on fighting. I have heard that both boys were suspended. If so Casey should have received a shorter suspension.
I tried to include a video in which it was stated that both boys were suspended but failed.

FantasticDan
03-21-2011, 01:23 PM
The smaller kid only had a lightly-bruised leg, nothing serious. He was suspended for 21 days. The body-slammer was suspended for 4 days, but still hasn't gone back to school. Rumor is he's hired an agent and will be embarking on a media tour :lol:

boxcar
03-21-2011, 01:29 PM
The world has turned upside down. I'm agreeing with Boxcar. The smaller kid was clearly the aggressor. Casey was defending himself. The school probably has a zero tolerance policy on fighting. I have heard that both boys were suspended. If so Casey should have received a shorter suspension.
I tried to include a video in which it was stated that both boys were suspended but failed.

No, we do not agree. Give me one reason why Casey should have received any punishment. Just one. Are you saying that he didn't have any right to protect himself?

Boxcar

wisconsin
03-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Let me interject something here. One of my sons was invlolved in a fight at school. While sitting on the bleachers during HS gym class, someone tossed a toy and it landed below my son's feet. The kid who tossed it came over to get it, and was reaching "there". My son, who said hold on, he wanted to get it himself and hand it over. The other kid kept trying to get at it. My son was uncomfortable with this kid reaching between his legs.

My son stood up to find it, and the other kid pushed my son over. Anyone who has ever been on bleachers knows how awkward your fall is when shoved. You land clumsily. Well, my son got up and pushed back. This led to a punch from the toy thrower, and my son then nailed the kid right back in the chops, and guess who got the detention and disorderly conduct ticket despite witnesses? The other kid got a detention only.

When I went to pick my son up from school, the Assistant Principle said my son should not have defended himself, but should have "walked away, or called for help". They said my son was uncooperative with the kid and was the instigator because he refused to let the kid retrieve his toy. Huh? Still shaking my head over that one.

boxcar
03-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Let me interject something here. One of my sons was invlolved in a fight at school. While sitting on the bleachers during HS gym class, someone tossed a toy and it landed below my son's feet. The kid who tossed it came over to get it, and was reaching "there". My son, who said hold on, he wanted to get it himself and hand it over. The other kid kept trying to get at it. My son was uncomfortable with this kid reaching between his legs.

My son stood up to find it, and the other kid pushed my son over. Anyone who has ever been on bleachers knows how awkward your fall is when shoved. You land clumsily. Well, my son got up and pushed back. This led to a punch from the toy thrower, and my son then nailed the kid right back in the chops, and guess who got the detention and disorderly conduct ticket despite witnesses? The other kid got a detention only.

When I went to pick my son up from school, the Assistant Principle said my son should not have defended himself, but should have "walked away, or called for help". They said my son was uncooperative with the kid and was the instigator because he refused to let the kid retrieve his toy. Huh? Still shaking my head over that one.

And so because your boy was "uncooperative" that gave the other kid a license to aggress? This AP has his head screwed on backwards. What he really told you is that when someone doesn't get his way in life -- whenever someone else stands in his way -- that gives him the right to obtain his way by force. Then we wonder why the world is so screwed up. The world is overflowing with people who constantly get these kinds of things backwards -- who call good evil and evil good.

Boxcar

FlyinLate
03-21-2011, 03:32 PM
No, we do not agree. Give me one reason why Casey should have received any punishment. Just one. Are you saying that he didn't have any right to protect himself?

Boxcar

While I wholeheartedly agree that Casey's retaliation was justified, an argument can be made that his retaliation went above and beyond the level of violence shown by the initial aggressor. A couple jabs to the stomach and verbal abuse may not compare to a body slam on to the concrete. The actions in question are what matters, not the resulting injury.

With that being said, I loved every minute of it and kid deserved what he got.

mostpost
03-21-2011, 03:34 PM

Boxcar

Oh good. I was worried that I agreed with you. Casey received punishment because that is what school rules dictated. Did Casey deserve punishment? That is another question. One on which we might agree. :eek:

mostpost
03-21-2011, 03:50 PM

In theory the AP was right. In the real world the AP needs to get some sense.
The other kid was the aggressor in more ways than one. He put his hand where it plainly was not wanted. When your son stood up so the OK could get his toy the OK did not get the toy but rather pushed your son over. Aside from being an A-----e why did he need to do that? It is understandable that your son reacted as he did.

The idea that he should have walked away is a great theory. Sometimes it is not possible to walk away. Sometimes there is no one to call for help. This whole zero tolerance thing bugs me. To me it is just a way for lazy administrators to not do their job. One size does not fit all. Each case should be investigated and judged on its merits.

prospector
03-21-2011, 04:16 PM
lot to be said for the good old days and small towns..
in my high school i got in 5 fights over the 4 years and broke bones on all the other "boys"...in those days we solved disagreements with our fists..we didn't turn the other cheek and walk away..you stood your ground..i didn't start any of those, but i finished all of them..no charges, no suspensions..
too many crappy rules today..to think someone even said "he should have walked away" tells me that person should spent some time in a school locker..mampy pamby sissy

boxcar
03-21-2011, 04:17 PM
While I wholeheartedly agree that Casey's retaliation was justified, an argument can be made that his retaliation went above and beyond the level of violence shown by the initial aggressor. A couple jabs to the stomach and verbal abuse may not compare to a body slam on to the concrete. The actions in question are what matters, not the resulting injury.

With that being said, I loved every minute of it and kid deserved what he got.

I was waiting for someone to bring this aspect of the event to the fore. Thank you for not disappointing. :)

Two things: First, Casey had been bullied and taunted for a long time. He wasn't reacting to merely this last encounter with the bully. By his own admission, the last encounter (which I have to think will be the last time he'll hear from this bully) Casey snapped. He admitted this. This bully had pushed him to the end of his rope.. Everyone has their breaking point, and the bully pushed Casey over the edge.

Secondly, Casey felt that enough is enough and that he had to put an end to any further encounters with his antagonist once and for all. Besides, didn't he follow, in principle, what our fearless leader advocated? The bully brought a knife to the fight, and Casey brought a gun. And Casey did the right thing! If you're forced into a fight, fight decisively. Fight to win the fight! (And this is precisely how the U.S. should fight wars -- with overwhelming force. If we adopted this policy, we would have have been out of Iraq and Afghanistan a long time ago and saved a lot of money.)

Boxcar

boxcar
03-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Oh good. I was worried that I agreed with you. Casey received punishment because that is what school rules dictated. Did Casey deserve punishment? That is another question. One on which we might agree. :eek:

Well, did he or didn't he? Why are you sitting on the fence?

Zero tolerance of some things are okay, such as drug use. But when it comes to fighting, what is conveniently overlooked by morally-challenged and/or mentally lazy administrators is that it takes at least two people to fight. Therefore, in very many cases, there will be an aggressor and a defender. Why should the latter be punished for something the former initiated? And why should the defender surrender his right to self-protection? Is not self-preservation a fundamental human instinct? If we don't take charge of ourselves, who is?

Boxcar

johnhannibalsmith
03-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Casey should be allowed to hit the kid with a steel pipe if he wants to after that little puke did that. And Casey's dad should be allowed to go twerpy dad's house, probably county lock-up, and gouge out his eyes.

If only consequences meant anything anymore... conduct might mean something also.

RaceBookJoe
03-21-2011, 04:53 PM
I was waiting for someone to bring this aspect of the event to the fore. Thank you for not disappointing. :)

Two things: First, Casey had been bullied and taunted for a long time. He wasn't reacting to merely this last encounter with the bully. By his own admission, the last encounter (which I have to think will be the last time he'll hear from this bully) Casey snapped. He admitted this. This bully had pushed him to the end of his rope.. Everyone has their breaking point, and the bully pushed Casey over the edge.

Secondly, Casey felt that enough is enough and that he had to put an end to any further encounters with his antagonist once and for all. Besides, didn't he follow, in principle, what our fearless leader advocated? The bully brought a knife to the fight, and Casey brought a gun. And Casey did the right thing! If you're forced into a fight, fight decisively. Fight to win the fight! (And this is precisely how the U.S. should fight wars -- with overwhelming force. If we adopted this policy, we would have have been out of Iraq and Afghanistan a long time ago and saved a lot of money.)

Boxcar

100% correct !!!! rbj

bigmack
03-21-2011, 04:54 PM
If I were the school V.P. I would have had both of them in my office at the same time. The bullier would have been made clear, in no uncertain terms, that his actions and those of his chums are intolerable. If even one report comes back to the effect they've bullied anyone, they're all expelled. Then I'd suspend him for a week.

With the beefy kid (Casey) I would encourage his talking with a counselor to better deal with such things should they happen in the future of school or life. Further, he has to understand that what he did to that kid could have easily killed him had he hit his head the wrong way. Body slams are far less forgiving on concrete as they are on a trampoline-like ring.

I'd then have the bullier exp0lain to Casey why he bullied him for as long as he did to better understand his own misguided psyche.

mostpost
03-21-2011, 05:21 PM
If I were the school V.P. I would have had both of them in my office at the same time. The bullier would have been made clear, in no uncertain terms, that his actions and those of his chums are intolerable. If even one report comes back to the effect they've bullied anyone, they're all expelled. Then I'd suspend him for a week.

With the beefy kid (Casey) I would encourage his talking with a counselor to better deal with such things should they happen in the future of school or life. Further, he has to understand that what he did to that kid could have easily killed him had he hit his head the wrong way. Body slams are far less forgiving on concrete as they are on a trampoline-like ring.

I'd then have the bullier exp0lain to Casey why he bullied him for as long as he did to better understand his own misguided psyche.
Makes a lot of sense.

Light
03-21-2011, 08:46 PM
When I was in grade school some bully used to make my life miserable everyday after school.One day I just couldn't take it anymore so I just stood there and broke his nose. The white snow at out feet was covered with bright red blood and this kid ran faster than he used to make me run. Never bothered me again.

A while back in the SF zoo some kids jumped into the tigers area to bully and tease a tiger. We all heard of their deaths. This little kid was trying to pick on someone twice his size. He's lucky he didn't get his head split open when he landed.

But turning the tables on bullies is in the great minority. Unfortunately our society says bullying is bad but then they set the bullying example with military intervention around the world with devastating results and there is no one to punch in the nose or body slam. You cant tell your kids not to smoke while smoking a cigarette and you cant tell kids not to bully others while you root for fighting wars in foreign countries or act like a bully yourself.

bigmack
03-21-2011, 08:53 PM
You cant tell kids not to bully others while you root for fighting wars in foreign countries or act like a bully yourself.
Can you tell your kids not to bully if you root for one side to win in a civil war and/or is any war fought in a foreign country an act of bullism?

PaceAdvantage
03-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately our society says bullying is bad but then they set the bullying example with military intervention around the world with devastating results and there is no one to punch in the nose or body slam.And here I thought you were a big believer in Darwinism.

JustRalph
03-22-2011, 01:05 AM
When I was in grade school some bully used to make my life miserable everyday after school.One day I just couldn't take it anymore so I just stood there and broke his nose. The white snow at out feet was covered with bright red blood and this kid ran faster than he used to make me run. Never bothered me again.

A while back in the SF zoo some kids jumped into the tigers area to bully and tease a tiger. We all heard of their deaths. This little kid was trying to pick on someone twice his size. He's lucky he didn't get his head split open when he landed.

But turning the tables on bullies is in the great minority. Unfortunately our society says bullying is bad but then they set the bullying example with military intervention around the world with devastating results and there is no one to punch in the nose or body slam. You cant tell your kids not to smoke while smoking a cigarette and you cant tell kids not to bully others while you root for fighting wars in foreign countries or act like a bully yourself.

Oh shit........somebody attacked a Muslim again...............

BlueShoe
03-22-2011, 01:31 AM
lot to be said for the good old days and small towns.....in those days we solved disagreements with our fists..we didn't turn the other cheek and walk away..you stood your ground.too many crappy rules today..to think someone even said "he should have walked away" tells me that person should spent some time in a school locker..mampy pamby sissy
Amen. Perhaps my memory is failing in my old old age, but when I was a kid bullying was not a problem. Wish I had 10 bucks for every fight I was in starting in grade school, through high school, and early adulthood in the Navy. If required, you settled things with your fists. You did not back down or walk away, and you never, ever used weapons during or after the the fight in retaliation if you lost. Cannot recall any kid being suspended, expelled, jailed, or sued for fighting, with the possible exception of fighting in the classroom or frequent fighting on school grounds.

Light
03-22-2011, 03:08 AM
Can you tell your kids not to bully if you root for one side to win in a civil war and/or is any war fought in a foreign country an act of bullism?

If you can't figure out which war is an act of bullying,then you're not qualified to tell your kids anything on the subject.

Light
03-22-2011, 03:16 AM
And here I thought you were a big believer in Darwinism.

If you are referring to Darwinisms idea of "the strong will survive and the weak will die",you need to redefine what is "weak" and what is "strong".

bigmack
03-22-2011, 03:43 AM
If you can't figure out which war is an act of bullying,then you're not qualified to tell your kids anything on the subject.
With all due respect, it's no small secret you disagree with this countries foreign policy. Can I assume you're terribly uncomfortable with that of this administration as well?

That being said, are you really at the ready to interject into a thread about childhood bullying your views about parenting and this countries parents inability to properly take a stand with their children as a result of the policies of the Federal Government? Is that REALLY what you're saying?

JustRalph
03-22-2011, 01:53 PM
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/03/21/bully-body-slam-finale-the-internets-greatest-hero-speaks/

video

Mike at A+
03-22-2011, 02:07 PM
No, we do not agree. Give me one reason why Casey should have received any punishment. Just one. Are you saying that he didn't have any right to protect himself?Boxcar
Ah, but Casey used "excessive force". You know, like Israel always gets accused of doing when they retaliate after Hammas lobs a few dozen rockets into civilian neighborhoods. But of course, shooting 112 Tomahawk missiles into Libya doesn't qualify as "excessive force" because it's being done by the direction of a Nobel Peace Prize recipient.

Hank
03-22-2011, 03:59 PM
The key here is the video evidence.The little bully punched that kid in the face,The big kid's retaliation was 100% justified and he should not have been suspended.Normally in these cases the school gets a ying and yang version of events and consequently both kids get the heave ho but with video evidence of the bully punching the kid in the face they blew this call big time.:ThmbDown:

Marshall Bennett
03-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Bullies were part of growing up when I was a kid. You either dealt with it or you didn't. These days the kids are removed from the equation ultimately and either the parents deal with it or they don't.

boxcar
03-22-2011, 04:11 PM
The key here is the video evidence.The little bully punched that kid in the face,The big kid's retaliation was 100% justified and he should not have been suspended.Normally in these cases the school gets a ying and yang version of events and consequently both kids get the heave ho but with video evidence of the bully punching the kid in the face they blew this call big time.:ThmbDown:

Correct. Zero Tolerance policies against all fighting is downright stupid. If an institution wants to create an anti-aggression policy that focuses on aggressors, that would be a far more reasonable and intelligent course to chart.

Boxcar

boxcar
03-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Bullies were part of growing up when I was a kid. You either dealt with it or you didn't. These days the kids are removed from the equation ultimately and either the parents deal with it or they don't.

The parents of these two kids appear to have been without a clue prior to this incident. Goes to show you how out of touch parents can be with their children.

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
03-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Makes a lot of sense.

It really did. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Mike at A+
03-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Gotta admit - that was one helluva body slam. The instigator was lucky he didn't go down face first. When body meets concrete, the concrete usually wins.

Light
03-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Ah, but Casey used "excessive force". You know, like Israel always gets accused of doing when they retaliate after Hammas lobs a few dozen rockets into civilian neighborhoods.

You need to check your facts. When a nuclear power subjugates people who are rated 50% below the poverty line,have no standing army,still have the deeds to their land in the occupiers possession, are literally being starved,caged and beaten by their occupiers, I don't think there is any question as to who the bully is.

boxcar
03-22-2011, 04:50 PM
You need to check your facts. When a nuclear power subjugates people who are rated 50% below the poverty line,have no standing army,still have the deeds to their land in the occupiers possession, are literally being starved,caged and beaten by their occupiers, I don't think there is any question as to who the bully is.

It's no longer their land. Their land" has become spoils of war for Israel. This is a price that has historically been paid when an aggressor loses a war.

And I have news for you: With or without Israel in the picture, they'd still be in dismal poverty. Just look at how well common Arabs are doing in other countries. What do you think all the civil unrest in the Middle East is all about?

Boxcar

Mike at A+
03-22-2011, 04:59 PM
And how many peace agreements were broken within days, sometimes within hours through a senseless act of terrorists killing civilians? The difference between Israel and their enemies is that their enemies TARGET civilians who are usually just out in the market shopping for food.

bigmack
03-22-2011, 06:12 PM
For those of you following along. Israel is the bully and Palestine is the bullied.

What light is saying is that Palestine just body slammed Israel. :eek:

Light
03-22-2011, 06:36 PM
And how many peace agreements were broken within days, sometimes within hours through a senseless act of terrorists killing civilians? The difference between Israel and their enemies is that their enemies TARGET civilians who are usually just out in the market shopping for food.

Bull

Light
03-22-2011, 06:47 PM
And I have news for you: With or without Israel in the picture, they'd still be in dismal poverty.

Not as bad as they are now because Israel has also taken away thousands of jobs from Palestinians and has a severe ban on imported products into the territories,(which is causing health problems in Palestinian children) all in the name of anti terrorism. The reality is this tactic is primarily being used to undermine the Palestinian people which goes against the Geneva conventions rules from an occupier to the occupied.

But I digress from the original topic and the PA police will be on my tail soon, so will stop here.

Light
03-22-2011, 06:58 PM
With all due respect, it's no small secret you disagree with this countries foreign policy. Can I assume you're terribly uncomfortable with that of this administration as well?

Yes

That being said, are you really at the ready to interject into a thread about childhood bullying your views about parenting and this countries parents inability to properly take a stand with their children as a result of the policies of the Federal Government? Is that REALLY what you're saying?

Your wording is a bit confusing but yes,I am saying that the actions of one's government does influence the private behavior of the citizens it governs from what is legal to what is right and wrong.That's pretty obvious isn't it?

bigmack
03-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Your wording is a bit confusing but yes,I am saying that the actions of one's government does influence the private behavior of the citizens it governs from what is legal to what is right and wrong.That's pretty obvious isn't it?
Busted. I was pimpin' ya. :blush:

Figured if ya wanted to debate Iz/Pal you should start a thread to that effect. I'd like to see that contentious subject bandied about on its own rather than in this silly ol' thread about snot-nosed kids. :ThmbUp:

Mike at A+
03-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Not as bad as they are now because Israel has also taken away thousands of jobs from Palestinians and has a severe ban on imported products into the territories,(which is causing health problems in Palestinian children) all in the name of anti terrorism. The reality is this tactic is primarily being used to undermine the Palestinian people which goes against the Geneva conventions rules from an occupier to the occupied.

But I digress from the original topic and the PA police will be on my tail soon, so will stop here.
For a country like Israel that's been victimized by Palestinian terrorism time after time after time, they need to do whatever is necessary to prevent it from happening again. If that creates hardship for the people living among these terrorists, then it's up to those people to make some decisions as to what they really want and how to prove they deserve to be treated like good neighbors. The Israelis should be admired for the patience they've had in refraining from simply wiping the Palestinians out completely.