PDA

View Full Version : Best Tourney Ever so far?

Zippy Chippy
03-20-2011, 09:51 PM
I know its early. Only 2 rounds (plus the play ins), but these games have been great! The upsets, VCU, Arizona, Marquette, Butler, Morehead St and not only that, the favorites that win like UNC, Duke, SDSU have been down to the wire. Great tourney!

dav4463
03-25-2011, 01:34 AM
Deep into the tourney now. I have to say it has been a very enjoyable tournament. It is impossible to pick though! You should see my bracket!

CBedo
03-25-2011, 05:27 AM
Out of the millions of brackets (3.9 or 5.9? I don't remember) at ESPN, not one had all of the Sweet Sixteen and only one had fifteen of the sixteen.

cj's dad
03-25-2011, 11:21 AM
All of my favorite tourneys somehow coincide with a Duke loss. :)

Zippy Chippy
03-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Kansas must be loving this. As crazy as a tourney that this has been I dont think they will lose.

dav4463
03-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Nobody thought Ohio State would lose either after the way they ran through the early rounds.

JustRalph
03-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Thad Matta got out coached and Sullinger got exposed

cj
03-26-2011, 11:12 AM
The games are exciting, but I can't call it the best ever when the talent is so weak.

CBedo
03-26-2011, 02:23 PM
The games are exciting, but I can't call it the best ever when the talent is so weak.Exactly my thoughts.

Valuist
03-26-2011, 07:31 PM
How can anyone NOT root for Butler? Back to back Final 4s.....amazing.

sandpit
03-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Except for listening to the intolerable Bill Rafferty (sp?)...the guy's shtick is worse than listening to Richard Grunder and Battaglia put together. Thank God for the mute button.

Zippy Chippy
03-26-2011, 09:57 PM
How can anyone NOT root for Butler? Back to back Final 4s.....amazing.

Its impossible not to root for them. I hate hate hate that UCONN is winning.. Momontum is a crazy thing.

Grits
03-26-2011, 10:01 PM
All of my favorite tourneys somehow coincide with a Duke loss. :)

I don't like it when you talk like this. It hurts me bad.:(

I can hold on to one hope--that Carolina nails Kentucky to the floor late tomorrow afternoon.;)

cj
03-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Its impossible not to root for them. I hate hate hate that UCONN is winning.. Momontum is a crazy thing.

Calhoun is nearly as big a cheater as Calipari.

slew101
03-26-2011, 10:14 PM
That's BS. When has UConn been put on probation or had seasons erased?

Calhoun is nearly as big a cheater as Calipari.

cj
03-26-2011, 10:18 PM

I said nearly.

Oh, and they are on probation until 2014.

slew101
03-26-2011, 10:28 PM
I take probation to mean no NCAA tournaments, although that penalty doesn't seem to be handed out anymore. The probation they have is basically a phantom penalty. Losing one scholarship for the Nate Miles recruiting violations and not being able to contact some recruits for 30 days.

I don't think Calhoun is a saint. Nobody is anymore. But I don't think he belongs in the same discussion as Calipari as far as running a clean program.

I said nearly.

Oh, and they are on probation until 2014.

cj
03-26-2011, 10:36 PM
I don't think Calhoun is a saint. Nobody is anymore. But I don't think he belongs in the same discussion as Calipari as far as running a clean program.

You are right, he doesn't. I just don't think it is great for the sport right now to have the two of them, recent known cheats, in the running this late.

It is sad now. You look at old games and teams had 2, 3, even 4 future quality NBA players. Now there might be 1 on a good team.

Relwob Owner
03-26-2011, 10:39 PM
I take probation to mean no NCAA tournaments, although that penalty doesn't seem to be handed out anymore. The probation they have is basically a phantom penalty. Losing one scholarship for the Nate Miles recruiting violations and not being able to contact some recruits for 30 days.

I agree with you for the most part....however, the way I view the Calhoun thing is kind of like when a spouse gets caught cheating after 20 years of marriage....do you think it was the first time he/she cheated or the first time he/she got caught?

JustRalph
03-27-2011, 01:06 AM
You are right, he doesn't. I just don't think it is great for the sport right now to have the two of them, recent known cheats, in the running this late.

What? Does Dutrow have another Derby Horse ?

rastajenk
03-27-2011, 08:16 AM

It is sad now. You look at old games and teams had 2, 3, even 4 future quality NBA players. Now there might be 1 on a good team.I'm getting a mixed message with this one. Personally, I think I prefer today's version of parity to a previous era of the same stacked superteams year after year. Today's traditional powers still have a built-in edge in recruiting, but the gap between them and the next level is smaller, I think; and that's a good thing.

But a lot of those teams with "2, 3, even 4 future quality NBA players" didn't get them there with just hay , oats, and water. Some were assembled by "known cheats." You can't have your cake and eat it too. ;)

Rapid Grey
03-27-2011, 10:29 AM
I can hold on to one hope--that Carolina nails Kentucky to the floor late tomorrow afternoon.;)

My hope as well. Don't think U Conn or Kansas/Butler will stop them in Houston.

God help the college basketball world if Calipari wins a NC.

Zippy Chippy
03-27-2011, 10:45 AM
My hope as well. Don't think U Conn or Kansas/Butler will stop them in Houston.

God help the college basketball world if Calipari wins a NC.

I am completely shocked that Kentucky is favored in that game. I dont care that they beat Ohio St. I think UNC is the better team.

Canarsie
03-27-2011, 11:56 AM
I am completely shocked that Kentucky is favored in that game. I dont care that they beat Ohio St. I think UNC is the better team.

While I agree with you on Carolina this is why they play the games. How many people thought Duke would get manhandled by Arizona? Butler would make the final 4? It's the reason that during the season college basketball ratings are in the toilet and during the tournament very high.

While they would never admit it (like the NFL) if there was no betting on these games ratings would sink dramatically.

One little question for all reading. What percentage of your friends bet on the NFL and the NCAA tourney? My hunch is way over 50% lets se if I'm right.

slew101
03-27-2011, 01:46 PM
I am as well. I had UNC a 3-point favorite for this game. I'm not reading anything into Kentucky's win over Ohio State. Ohio State has flamed out in the tournament a bunch of times, and the one year they made the final, Xavier had them beat in Round 2 and gave the game away.

Kentucky will need a super effort to beat UNC today. I think if UNC was losing, it was going to be to Washington.

slew101
03-27-2011, 07:42 PM
All wrong on this one. Tough beat for UNC. Kentucky was unreal with the 3-point shots.

Kentucky will need a super effort to beat UNC today. I think if UNC was losing, it was going to be to Washington.

Zippy Chippy
03-27-2011, 09:52 PM
All wrong on this one. Tough beat for UNC. Kentucky was unreal with the 3-point shots.

The 3 pointer is too close. Its like an easy jump shot for these guys. THere has been so many games in this tourney where teams are well over 50%.

slew101
03-27-2011, 09:54 PM
One of the reasons I don't like college basketball anymore. That shot is too close.

The 3 pointer is too close. Its like an easy jump shot for these guys. THere has been so many games in this tourney where teams are well over 50%.

Dave Schwartz
03-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Boy, do I disagree.

I think it evens the balance a little for the small player.

Dave

slew101
03-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Strike that comment about Calhoun. He did have a season erased, in 1996, same year as Calipari did with UMass. My bad.

onefast99
03-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I agree with you for the most part....however, the way I view the Calhoun thing is kind of like when a spouse gets caught cheating after 20 years of marriage....do you think it was the first time he/she cheated or the first time he/she got caught?
Exactly, the slap on the hand seems to be the easy way out for the NCAA lately.