PDA

View Full Version : What to look for pre race...

hugh
03-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Hi everyone... been lurking for a while and I thought I'd make my first post...

Thoroughbreds are a breed of horse like Clydesdales....
All are descendants from 3 Arabian stallions...
1)Darley Arabian
2)Byerly Turk
3)Godolphin Barb
All thoroughbreds .... even the worst of the worst are special creatures with distinguished histories.
For me this game isn't all about making money.. It's getting to watch and learn about these beautiful animals.

I was at Golden Gate a few weeks ago. I noticed a bunch of old timers inspecting the horses in the paddock. They were looking at each animal and checking off boxes.
I inspect a horse from the ground up...
-Starting with the hooves (which support a half ton animal at 40mph)... Horses with narrow hooves go lame faster... pigeon toes are a bad bad thing.
-A good horse's pastern should slope at 45 degrees.
-The hind legs should drop almost straight down from the hocks
-A horse with long sloping shoulders has greater lung capacity and stamina
-I like a horse with a long and limber neck
-Ears that don't move at all usually means a horse is sluggish

What kind of physical things so you look for? Do you have a check list that you use?
After a while you see what a winner looks like... what are some of this horse's attributes?
Thanks.

Overlay
03-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Welcome to the board!

I take it from your list that you are talking more about conformation/physical characteristics than behavioral traits/body language. Is that correct? Is conformation what the "old-timers" you refer to were noting, or do you know?

Marlin
03-20-2011, 08:59 PM
I have found it's easier to identify a loser in the paddock than a winner. Just using one example. Unbridled's Song in the paddock for the Citation Challenge. He was running way too warm. Granted it was a hot day but he was sweating profusely and was at level 10 exitement. It was clear to me if he hadn't already run his race, he would by the time they got to the gate. Two horses didn't have a drop of sweat on them and were completely professional. Cigar and Dramatic Gold. They ran one - two, but you could have also got that from the form.

hugh
03-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the greeting! I've been looking at this forum for the last couple of months a couple of times a day... finally got the stones to post.
I guess I'm looking for a combination of the two... any red flags ect...

woodbinepmi
03-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Most of us unfortunately can't get to the track everyday and with the limited exposer to the horses on the track, we only get to see the post parade for a few seconds. So you have to be quick about it, the things I look for are: make sure the horse is not walking short, then just look for positive signs like a bowed neck, tail off the body, on his/her toes. The one thing I look for the most is, when they come onto the track and a horse is rocking back and forth like the old rocking horses we had when we were children. If they handicap out, I run to the (or call my service) window as fast as possible. Bonnie Ledbetter put out BODY LANGUAGE OF THE RACE HORSE before she died which can help anybody playing the races that are interested on the subject.

Marlin
03-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Bonnie Ledbetter put out BODY LANGUAGE OF THE RACE HORSE before she died which can help anybody playing the races that are interested on the subject.A great video, especially for a newbie. Learning to handicap can take a lifetime. You can take this video's teachings to the track the next day.

woodbinepmi
03-20-2011, 11:08 PM
If you want to see exactly what a horse should look like on the track, watch the international jumping competitions on television. Every horse looks perfect in their apperance.

Robert Goren
03-21-2011, 12:34 AM
I hate a horse who looks like he is prancing while the lead pony is just leisurely walking. On slightly different note, a horse without an outrider is a very bad sign.

Bruddah
03-21-2011, 12:42 AM
If you want to learn the things to watch for on race day, get the tape on the body language of horses by Bonnie Ledbetter and Chris McCarron. You can get it from the Gamblers book store in Las Vegas. Google Gambler's book store. If you don't see it listed, call them. Learn it and it will pay for itself in a very short time.

JustRalph
03-21-2011, 01:05 AM
On slightly different note, a horse without an outrider is a very bad sign.

?????????? What? I have seen plenty without an outrider, run fine.

Marlin
03-21-2011, 01:15 AM
?????????? What? I have seen plenty without an outrider, run fine.There is a difference between without an outrider and away from an outrider. Without an outrider is much worse IMO. It means a trainer is too cheap to pay for one. And if he is trying to cut this corner he probably is cutting elsewhere as well. It indicates to me the standard of care is sub par. JMHO

mannyberrios
03-21-2011, 07:24 AM
There is a difference between without an outrider and away from an outrider. Without an outrider is much worse IMO. It means a trainer is too cheap to pay for one. And if he is trying to cut this corner he probably is cutting elsewhere as well. It indicates to me the standard of care is sub par. JMHOThat is correct

eastie
03-21-2011, 09:44 AM
somme hooses don't need one, they know what's up. Other hosses just don't like them period. A $5000 claimer from a one hoss stable, that's one thing, but it seems a very broad statement to say that it's because the hoss has had sub par care

Robert Goren
03-21-2011, 10:06 AM
In the 40+ years I have been of going to the races I have seen only one horse without an outrider win. Take it for what you want, but I am not going to bet on one.

magwell
03-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Being at the paddock and watching horses warm up is the last edge in the game, so you have to put in the time, or the "take" will grind you down......

parlay
03-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Being at the paddock and watching horses warm up is the last edge in the game, so you have to put in the time, or the "take" will grind you down......

Agreed! I have spent alot of time recently watching the horses parade. The way a horse walks has poven to be a very positive indicator. Yesterday i identified 2 winners at long odds and a number of long prices that filled the tri.
I recommend not handicapping and concentrating on this type of physical analysis to sharpen your skills.Then combine the two and reap the rewards.

pondman
03-24-2011, 02:49 PM
If I'm in S. California I like to see young maidens on their toes, prancing, and alert, before a sprint race. I like to see what happens just as the jockey jumps on the horse, so I do visit the paddock. I don't use it exclusively, but it could sway me to bet more on a longshot. I also look at the chest in maiden sprint races. The bigger the better. I like them to look like housebuster's-- big and stout.

I've also learned from a trainer how to tell if the back end of a horse is stiff and tight, and the horse isn't reaching. I will avoid these horses in routes.