PDA

View Full Version : Something to admire

Dick Schmidt
03-18-2011, 06:09 PM
In Japan, they are called the Faceless Fifty, and most likely they are all “Dead Men Walking.” When the Japanese authorities ordered the evacuation of the stricken nuclear power plant hit by the tsunami, fifty men volunteered to stay behind and have refused to leave. They are fighting to save the lives of thousands of people and doing a wonderful job, working until exhausted and then returning again to work in hellish conditions even though many of them are starting to show the first symptoms of radiation poisoning. One man who was getting sick was asked why he didn’t leave: “Because another would come and take my place. I can still work.”

I’ve never been a big fan of the Japanese “group think” way of living, but in times of crises, they have been remarkable. There has been no looting, food and energy are scarce in much of the country but rationing has not been necessary because no one is hording. Prices of hard to get items have remained stable. Thousands of ordinary people have chosen to remain in the danger area to help rebuild their stricken cities without pay. Hundreds of thousands are in temporary makeshift shelters, their homes destroyed, but they remain polite and undemanding; the shelters are kept spotlessly clean.

Compare their actions to what happened here during and after Katrina, a minor inconvenience compared to what is happening in Japan. When you are tempted to take satisfaction in the damage to the Japanese economy, or moan about high prices of iPads or gasoline, take a second and remember the Faceless Fifty. Ask yourself, would I do that? Would I and my neighbors behave as well?

Dick

gl45
03-18-2011, 06:15 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
03-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Great post, Dick. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

ArlJim78
03-18-2011, 06:52 PM
the best of the human spirit. lets hope that these hero's don't remain faceless forever, and that the stories of their selfless efforts are always remembered.

GaryG
03-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Wow, I had not heard about them. Thanks Dave, I am sure they will be appreciated and honored.

bigmack
03-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Japan’s Health Ministry said Tuesday it was raising the legal limit on the amount of radiation to which each worker could be exposed, to 250 millisieverts from 100 millisieverts, five times the maximum exposure permitted for American nuclear plant workers.

Tokyo Electric Power, the plant’s operator, has said almost nothing at all about the workers, including how long a worker is expected to endure exposure.

The few details Tokyo Electric has made available paint a dire picture. Five workers have died since the quake and 22 more have been injured for various reasons, while two are missing. One worker was hospitalized after suddenly grasping his chest and finding himself unable to stand, and another needed treatment after receiving a blast of radiation near a damaged reactor. Eleven workers were injured in a hydrogen explosion at reactor No. 3.

HUSKER55
03-19-2011, 05:00 AM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

wisconsin
03-19-2011, 12:16 PM
God help theses heroes. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

DJofSD
03-19-2011, 12:27 PM
:3x: :ThmbUp:

PhantomOnTour
03-19-2011, 01:01 PM
A fire fighting crew at Chernobyl went in knowing the same thing. They did their job, all are dead today, most died within 2wks. They had extreme exposure though (said they could taste metal in the air).

Brave beyond brave :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
03-19-2011, 01:38 PM
GOD bless all those brave good souls.

Dick Schmidt
04-04-2011, 02:43 AM
Still on the job.

The so-called Fukushima 50 are all repeatedly being exposed to dangerously high radioactive levels as they attempt to restore vital cooling systems following the earthquake and tsunami on March 11.

And speaking tearfully through an interpreter by phone, the mother of a 32-year-old worker told Fox News: 'My son and his colleagues have discussed it at length and they have committed themselves to die if necessary to save the nation.

'He told me they have accepted they will all probably die from radiation sickness in the short term or cancer in the long-term.'

'They have concluded between themselves that it is inevitable some of them may die within weeks or months. They know it is impossible for them not to have been exposed to lethal doses of radiation.' - ABC News, Ap. 2.

Dick