PDA

View Full Version : U.N. decides on Libya...

newtothegame
03-17-2011, 11:08 PM
UN backs action against Gaddafi
17 March 2011 Last updated at 21:47 ET

Supporters of the rebel movement cheered and waved flags after the vote

The UN Security Council has backed a no-fly zone over Libya and "all necessary measures" short of an invasion "to protect civilians and civilian-populated areas".

In New York, the 15-member body voted 10-0 in favour, with five abstentions.

Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi's forces have recently retaken several towns seized by rebels in an uprising.

Rebel forces reacted with joy in their Benghazi stronghold but a government spokesman condemned UN "aggression".

Loyalist forces are bearing down on Benghazi, home to a million people.

'Threatens unity'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12781009

For the record......I am TOTALLY against this! Another reason in my opinion to defund the UN
Nothing but a bunch of power wielding buttheads!
Now I am sure there are people who think I somehow support Qaddafi...
I will be glad to elaborate to any responses.
So see libs...not all of us cons are for war all the time!

Tom
03-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Wow.
I bet they back right down now.
I mean, the UN!
The last thing you want is the UN after you.
The world's peacekeeper. Kadaffy must be scared to death!

Wonder who foots the bill for this one?
Lower Slobovia?
East Nowhere?
:rolleyes:

newtothegame
03-18-2011, 12:54 AM
I am really surprised that China, Russia and Germany let this through by abstaining!

bigmack
03-18-2011, 01:04 AM
What's the point? I thought the sanctions BO ruled in effect would have toppled MoMo. :lol:

Truth is, both will be as effective.

"Muam" will be in power long after Fidel with this news.

With this facial affect - Guess the narcotic?

http://static01.mediaite.com/med/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Moammar-Gaddafi.jpg

JustRalph
03-18-2011, 02:44 AM
what is this? 28 days in?

Tom
03-18-2011, 07:47 AM
UN = day late and dollar short

ArlJim78
03-18-2011, 08:06 AM
emerging world leader Sarah Palin, called for a no-fly zone on Feb 23rd.

...Gaddafi is a brutal killer and Libya – not to mention the world – would be better off if he were out of power. Now is the time to speak out. Speak out for the long-suffering Libyan people. Speak out for the victims of Gaddafi’s terror. NATO and our allies should look at establishing a no-fly zone so Libyan air forces cannot continue slaughtering the Libyan people. We should not be afraid of freedom, especially when it comes to people suffering under a brutal enemy of America.

newtothegame
03-18-2011, 08:08 AM
The UN decision is so hypoctrical, that it isnt even funny.
First off, is there anyone here who thinks the US will not shoulder the majority of the burden? Gee, let me see...France?? Nope!
UK...a large role possibly as a JOINT venture with the US.

Secondly...this is NOT about human rights and a brutal dictator. If that were the case and the "world" could not just sit back and allow these people to be brutally attacked, why has it taken so long? And please, dont insult anyone's intelligence by saying there were negotiations between countries first. I never realized we had to negotiate when we were so concerned about those people.

Thirdly, why is no one else questioning the HYPOCRICY in this?
Ok, so it's about a brutal regime attacking and oppressing its people...right?
I seem to recall ummm ...yeah IRAN brutally putting down protest. Where's the UN authorizing military action there??
Ummmm....gee, didnt the Saudi's just put down some protesters? Hell, the Saudi's sent back up troops in to Bahrain to help them run over their protesters!
Yemen....yep, same thing.....
N Korea?? Seems to be one of the most oppressive governments on the planet!
China.......now there's a standup country who takes care of their people.....lol
Russia....Putin isnt the nicest guy on the block I assure you.
So where are the cries and UN authorizing military action and intervention????

Next, we are already broke as a country (and getting deeper by the day)...and now we are gonna put more military equipment into a third area of the world?? Bet this wont be cheap...not too mention the "rebuilding" which will almost ineviteably be done.

Lastly, I have said before, WE can not force our will upon others. We need to stay out of these fights all over the world. Only thing that happens when we stick our nose in is we come out with them hating us more. But no worries, I am sure the world will surely love us for this one!

GaryG
03-18-2011, 09:06 AM
We need to stay out of these fights all over the world. Only thing that happens when we stick our nose in is we come out with them hating us more. But no worries, I am sure the world will surely love us for this one!They will hate us anyway. When Reagan put that missile in MoMo's pup tent he did without anyone's consent or permission. It was in retaliation for the disco bombing in Germany targeting Americans. We had to avoid the airspace of euro pusses France, Spain and Italy. Things have certainly changed in the last 25 years. We should have bolted the UN a long time ago.

Tom
03-18-2011, 09:09 AM
I think we should put a missile or two in the UN.

ArlJim78
03-18-2011, 09:46 AM
The US was not leading the effort to establish the no-fly zone, we were one of the last to sign on. As it turns out I hear Muamar has already blinked, declaring a ceasefire.

Tape Reader
03-18-2011, 09:57 AM
As it turns out I hear Muamar has already blinked, declaring a ceasefire.

I see a "rope a dope" coming and guess who the dope is.

boxcar
03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
The US was not leading the effort to establish the no-fly zone, we were one of the last to sign on. As it turns out I hear Muamar has already blinked, declaring a ceasefire.

The prez was busy voting "present" on the issue.

Boxcar

Greyfox
03-18-2011, 12:29 PM
I seem to recall ummm ...yeah IRAN brutally putting down protest. Where's the UN authorizing military action there??
!

I think that a major difference between this protest and the earlier ones in Iran is the fact that Gadhafi has brought in foreign mercenaries to do his fighting. Iran didn't do that.
Hence in Iran it was "civil disorder" that could have developed into a civil war.
Since this is Libyan protesters fighting foreigners it loses entitlement to be called "civil war."

In the meanwhile, the British Press are criticizing Obama's lack of leadership here.
One paper has a headline:

Barack Obama: The Weakest President in History?

"INEFFECTUAL, invisible, unable to honour pledges and now blamed for letting Gaddafi off the hook. Why Obama’s gone from ‘Yes we can’ to ‘Er, maybe we shouldn’t’...

More at link: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/235196/Barack-Obama-The-Weakest-President-in-history-

ArlJim78
03-18-2011, 12:35 PM
The prez was busy voting "present" on the issue.

Boxcar
not to mention golf, basketball, parties, fundraisers, and his NCAA bracket picks.
this demanding schedule is why he needed a little getaway to Brasil.

Saratoga_Mike
03-18-2011, 01:02 PM
And in other news, the Egyptians (governing military council) just released the younger brother of Ayman al-Zawahri from prison. In case you're wondering, terrorism does seem to run in the al-Zawahri family, as the brother, Mohammed, was the head of the Special Action Committe of Islamic Jihad, a terrorist organization, according to Egyptian security officials.

To state the obvious, there are big short-term risks to backing regime change in the Middle East.

JustRalph
03-18-2011, 01:10 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/235196/Barack-Obama-The-Weakest-President-in-history-

BARACK OBAMA: THE WEAKEST PRESIDENT IN HISTORY?

Greyfox
03-18-2011, 02:37 PM
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/235196/Barack-Obama-The-Weakest-President-in-history-

BARACK OBAMA: THE WEAKEST PRESIDENT IN HISTORY?

The British observers can afford to be more objective than most of us and that is what they are starting to conclude.
(Ageed JR :ThmbUp: - I posted similar in Post 14 of this current thread.)