PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Consultants!

craigbraddick
03-14-2011, 11:57 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/61904/jockey-club-study-to-look-at-racings-future?source=rss

So, here are my thoughts, also posted on my blog:

Tokenism or a step forward?

So for the first time in 36 years (I haven't been alive that long) the Jockey Club are going to look at racings future this August with the help of some people who make a living by telling people what they should be doing, an outfit called McKinsey and Company. (Are they Scottish sexual practice experts as well?)

I do not know who is footing this bill into what I am sure will be a corporate circle jerk with "blue sky thinking" lurking overhead.

Let me put this plainly:

1. Nothing will change unless the people in charge WANT to change. By and large, racing management seem to dislike change at all costs. And then of course, they wonder why racing is not thriving!

2. Racetracks must be run with one purpose: Making their customers (both on track and online) welcome by giving them a feeling they are appreciated, respected and offering them attractive wagering opportunities.

3. Reducing takeout will increase revenue if:
A. The marketing of this is aggressive to both experienced horseplayers and novices.
B. You do not run races at the same time as other tracks!
C. You bring the lowest takeout to your most popular wagers and entirely eliminate wagers that constantly generate little interest.

4. Horseman's interests in having a dollar today have to be secondary to building a future for tomorrow.

5. Exchange wagering with a small commission going to racetracks is the best way of securing future funding for the sport.

6. Start a long term plan to disengage racing and wagering from state control.

My consulting fee has been waived, unlike (I imagine) that of McKinsey and Company who I am sure are looking forward to expanding their business by stating the bleeding obvious.

Craig.

toussaud
03-14-2011, 12:04 PM
It would be great if they actually took the advice given to them. Paying someone to tell you what to do, and actually implementing that advice are two totally different things.

andicap
03-14-2011, 12:19 PM
It may not be that well known out in the sticks, but McKinsey & Company is one largest and most prestigious management consultant firms in the world.

But your post is dead-on.

Here's the most relevant part of the story, near the bottom of course. (Fair use quotation)
-------
The Jockey Club did commission an earlier study from McKinsey & Company in 1991 to provide a national strategy to improve drug-testing practices. The "McKinsey Report" suggested the national drug-testing system was due for drastic overhaul. While no immediate action was taken on the study’s recommendations, it did lead in 1998 to the creation of the Racing Integrity and Drug Testing Task Force.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

:lol::bang:

The last time they used McKinsey,. the Jockey Club sat on the report for seven years and then took a half-ass measure.

'nuff said.

So we can expect the privileged, out-of-touch old-guard powers that be to take some token action in about what, 2018?

I can see it now. McKinsey will write a detailed, finely nuanced 15-step report calling on ways racing can return front and center to the mainstream of American culture -- a national commissioner, maybe; steeper penalties for druggie trainers; etc.

In 2012, the Jockey Club will form a panel to study the report.

In 2014, the panel will make some recommendations, watering down the report.

In 2016, the Jockey Club will announce that it will accept those toned-down steps.

In 2018, it will actually implement them.

Assuming racing is still around.

Just another excuse for inaction.