PDA

View Full Version : Breeders' Cup in Ireland?

FenceBored
03-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Via the Thoroughbred Times (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2011/03/14/o-brien-breeders-cup-tipperary.aspx):

THE MULTIMILLION dollar Breeders’ Cup horse racing fixture could leave the United States and come to Ireland if a planned sporting and leisure complex goes ahead, said racehorse trainer Aidan O’Brien.
-- http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0310/1224291779193.html
(http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0310/1224291779193.html)

Grits
03-14-2011, 11:38 AM
No European venue currently has the necessary grass and artificial surfaces to stage what is the world’s most valuable race meeting but, said Ms O’Brien, “The Tipperary Venue will be the first European track capable of hosting a Breeders’ Cup meeting.”

Ignoring the obvious omission, that of DIRT, they ain't likely to get it. Don't care how big or how grand it is.

cj's dad
03-14-2011, 11:39 AM
When I saw the thread title, I thought "I'm in". But then I saw this:

snip> No European venue currently has the necessary grass and artificial surfaces to stage what is the world’s most valuable race meeting but, said Ms O’Brien, “The Tipperary Venue will be the first European track capable of hosting a Breeders’ Cup meeting.” < snip

No thanks.:ThmbDown:

Tom
03-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Sorry, the is NO European venue able to handle the BC.
Nor will there ever be one.

cj's dad
03-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Sorry, the is NO European venue able to handle the BC.
Nor will there ever be one.

Just read where this magnificent venue will seat 15,000 people ! :lol:

gm10
03-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't think there'll be a BC in Ireland. It sounds very far-fetched.

It's more likely that the planned season finale @ Ascot/Newmarket will become a serious competitor to the Breeders Cup. I suspect that this new meeting will dilute the BC concept a bit (in terms of attracting marquee horses).

OTM Al
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't think there'll be a BC in Ireland. It sounds very far-fetched.

It's more likely that the planned season finale @ Ascot/Newmarket will become a serious competitor to the Breeders Cup. I suspect that this new meeting will dilute the BC concept a bit (in terms of attracting marquee horses).

I thought the same when I first heard about this, but I can't remember what dates they wanted to do this on and can't find the articles. Do you have any up to date links on this idea?

OTM Al
03-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Just found it. Champions Day at Ascot on Oct 15. (Future Champions Day (2yo stakes) at Newmarket on Oct 8). You could still do the BC off of this as it will be 3 weeks out, but it is tight. Only 2 weeks after the Arc, so not sure what they really expect to attract in terms of the middle distance runners.

gm10
03-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Just found it. Champions Day at Ascot on Oct 15. (Future Champions Day (2yo stakes) at Newmarket on Oct 8). You could still do the BC off of this as it will be 3 weeks out, but it is tight. Only 2 weeks after the Arc, so not sure what they really expect to attract in terms of the middle distance runners.

Agreed ... it's getting a bit crowded on the racing calendar.

OTM Al
03-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Agreed ... it's getting a bit crowded on the racing calendar.

Looking at it from the outside, I think it's good that they are trying to establish a premier set of races. It's really hard to say what the most important race is in most divisions. The Gold Cup seems to be the top race for stayers, but I don't know what I'd call the top race at middle distance, or at a mile or on the sprint (though maybe the Golden Jubilee?). Could just say the Royal Ascot races for all of them and have done with it, but being in June, there is way to much racing after them.

Greyfox
03-14-2011, 04:07 PM
Never say never, but someone living in California (now that California is on Daylight Saving Time) is currently 7 time zones from Dublin.

:rolleyes: If the races started at 1 pm in Dublin, the California crowd would have to be up for betting around 6 in the morning.

Broad Brush
03-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I have always thought that a Breeder's Cup in Europe every 4 years or so
would be great for its significance. This can only be done though with a few
factors in place:

1. A true dirt course..of course. The whole idea would be to show the rest of the world how tough, determined and great real dirt horses are. They fight for every
inch of ground-not playing "paddy cake' for the first 2/3 of the race and then cut and run for home aka turf and synth racing.

2.It be held in England or Ireland and run at night under lights. The time difference is 4 hours I believe. So, if the Classic could go off at 10:30pm
local time that would be 6:30pm EST. The betting here is most important
as it now generates close to 50% of the purse money...giving it to Euro
bookies just won't cut it...plus we don't want to miss out of course.

3.The Breeder's Cup could establish and pay for set flights for the US horses
to and back. This may sound selfish but the Americans pay for most of the purse money year after year versus the rest so I don't think this is bad. Hopefully,
if the Breeder's Cup really grew it could pay for all in the future.

Just my opinion.....

horses4courses
03-14-2011, 09:06 PM
There has been talk about this project for some time in Ireland.
It would have been a lot easier to bring to fruition had the "Celtic Tiger" not burst it's bubble. Now, it will be difficult to get it to fly - even with Coolmore money. Even if it does get built, it's a longshot that the Breeders' Cup would ever be held there.

Irish Boy
03-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Somewhere, Alan Shubeck is writing an article about how much better the Irish Breeders Cup is.

PhantomOnTour
03-14-2011, 11:35 PM
When they changed the name to the BC World T'bred Championships it was only a matter of time before this was proposed. Eventually one will be held overseas....and I hope it's a failure so they never do it again.

Thomas Roulston
03-15-2011, 03:54 AM
But how about a Breeders' Cup in Maryland? (Presumably at Laurel rather than Pimlico because Laurel's turf course is more suitable).

If Maryland is good enough to host one of the Triple Crown races, then why not the Breeders' Cup?

garyscpa
03-15-2011, 08:12 AM
It's a racino. :ThmbDown:

FenceBored
03-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Somewhere, Alan Shubeck is writing an article about how much better the Irish Breeders Cup is.

But would he think it would be better than a Dubai Breeders' Cup?

cj's dad
03-15-2011, 10:39 AM
It's a racino. :ThmbDown:

I must be missing something !!

Irish Boy
03-15-2011, 02:11 PM
But would he think it would be better than a Dubai Breeders' Cup?
No, that's not possible.

gm10
03-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Looking at it from the outside, I think it's good that they are trying to establish a premier set of races. It's really hard to say what the most important race is in most divisions. The Gold Cup seems to be the top race for stayers, but I don't know what I'd call the top race at middle distance, or at a mile or on the sprint (though maybe the Golden Jubilee?). Could just say the Royal Ascot races for all of them and have done with it, but being in June, there is way to much racing after them.

The QE II would be a good candidate for the top mile race imo.
Middle distance .. Champion Stakes perhaps, although earlier races like the Eclipse are good too.
Sprint ... that I couldn't say. Maybe the Golden Jubilee or King's Stand (and others), but there are some cracking sprint handicaps too (the Stewards Cup is usually spectacular).

It's going to be interesting. I was initially not very keen on the idea, but maybe it's not such a bad thing after all. In any case, the purses are going to be high - I wonder if the BC will still be able to attract as many European turf horses.

Bruddah
03-15-2011, 09:49 PM
I hope the BC World Championships do go to Ireland, Great Britain, Dubai, Cape Town or somewhere else. After a couple of years, they will be begging to bring it back to Churchill or another American track where they can make some money. Basically the same result as giving it to Santa Anita and returning to Churchill last year. Then we can tell them to stop their whining.

I am sick of a few blue bloods wanting to rub elbows with the "hoity toity" Europeans and Sheiks because they think it makes them American Royalty. I say let them go and watch them crawl home with their Royal American tails between their legs. :p