PDA

View Full Version : DRF Closer Look

tanda
09-21-2001, 01:13 PM
I remember somebody criticizing DRF handicappers recently. I do not read the DRF usually, but have read their on-line handicapping recently due to the fact it has been posted for free on their site.

Here are the closing comments for the Jerome contenders.

Illusioned: talented, but there are issues
Scorpion: scary
Burning Roma: huge threat
Express Tour: tough, tough call

Apparently, Hammersly thinks any can win. Nice job, Hammer.

NoDayJob
09-21-2001, 03:20 PM
If he could pick horses he wouldn't be working at the DRF. His vocation would be betting them. -NDJ

karlskorner
09-21-2001, 03:43 PM
No Day Job;

It appears to me that there are a lot of people working who can't pick horses. I guess that's the reason they are working.

Karl

tanda
09-21-2001, 04:54 PM
Karl:

Yes, but most people with an inability to win at the races do not pawn themselves off as experts on the very issue of handicapping at which they are not in fact an expert. They drive trucks, practice law, work in a restaurant, etc.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, write as if they can.

karlskorner
09-21-2001, 06:13 PM
Tanda;

I am sitting here in 90 degree heat, my A/C took a dive, so I came home early from the track to meet the repair man.

I reread your post 3 times and haven't the foggiest idea what you are are trying to say. Would you be more explicit.

Karl

takeout
09-21-2001, 10:29 PM
I rarely ever read any of that kind of stuff either but this is one of those areas where I can sympathize with the handicappers. They HAVE to put something down there. I've always thought all that kind of stuff was a waste of space anyway, kind of like newspaper picks. Aren't they taken with a grain of salt and mainly for the casual $2 bettor? I mean nobody bets serious money on the basis of that stuff - do they?

It's always struck me as a no-win situation for public 'cappers. I'm sure I couldn't do it. Most days I don't like but a few races on the card anyway. Heck, some days I don't like any! If I were a public selector and HAD to write something for every race on the card, then I would probably do what they seem to be doing in many cases, which is repeating what anyone who can read the PPs has already seen. When I see that a horse lost his previous race by a nose, I don't really need the "just missed last" or whatever. That's a MOTO. Trouble is, if I had a job like that I would do the exact same thing. Real nuggets of insight are hard to come by and fairly rare. Also, I wonder how much time these guys have to do this stuff every day along with their other duties. I'll bet it's not much. Anyway, when it comes to that kind of stuff I wouldn't bet the rent. I know that there are those that work very hard at it but even the best in the business blow hot and cold. I prefer my own opinion even if it turns out to be terrible. I'm more apt to learn from my mistakes and I sleep better that way. :)

OTOH, I must say that there have been many times when I've read someone's column or article and gotten VERY useful information that translated into a decent bet that I would not have had otherwise.

harpowitz
09-23-2001, 07:19 AM
I want to put a plug in for the handicappers in Newsday, the daily on Long Island. There are 3, the lead handicapper is Steve Mathews. He has a plus figure usually at the end of a meet. At the close of Saratoga, he was about $.98 on a $1.00; one of the other handicappers, Paul Moran, had a +$ figure for the meet. Mathews writes the column for the day and explains each of his selections. He does not pull them out of a hat. His record to date in what has been a tough Belmont meet, is 10/56 ($119.90). Thus he is ahead so far; but note his winnings 0f $120 comes from 10 races, an average of $12.00 a win. He rarely selects favorites and normally looks for a major payoff.
If you boxed his 3 picks for each race on yestrday's Belmont card, you had 5 exactas; including the 8th race with Express Tour on top. In some of the races his selections were scratched so he deserves a pass on the off-the-turf 9th.

I like to do my own handicapping and make my own selections, but I do read Newsday everyday and follow Mathews on occassion when he tags a real long shot.