PDA

View Full Version : Lock out

Tom
03-12-2011, 10:33 AM
NFL....billionaires fighting millionaires over a 9 billion dollar pie.
Both sides make me want to puke.

I never went back to baseball after the strike and I will never go back to football.

Are the a-holes aware of the state of the economy? Do they expect us to feel sorry for them?

I say, time for the feds to step and an NATIONALIZE the NFL - the 9 billion should be taxed at 75% or better.

Freaking prima-dona bottom feeders.

boxcar
03-12-2011, 11:53 AM
NFL....billionaires fighting millionaires over a 9 billion dollar pie.
Both sides make me want to puke.

I never went back to baseball after the strike and I will never go back to football.

Are the a-holes aware of the state of the economy? Do they expect us to feel sorry for them?

I say, time for the feds to step and an NATIONALIZE the NFL - the 9 billion should be taxed at 75% or better.

Freaking prima-dona bottom feeders.

You make an interesting suggestion. After all, it was BO who once said that he has nothing against people making money --- BUT...BUT...there's a point when enough is enough. I like your idea of nationalizing the NFL and the government imposing a heavy tax on all players making over what...$250K. (That seems to be the magic number, right?) But we're dreamin' because this would never happen since football teams employ so many black players. BO wouldn't want to risk their cleats on the back of his neck, would he?

Boxcar
P.S. Of course, BO could also issue waivers to the black players. :rolleyes:

PhantomOnTour
03-12-2011, 11:59 AM
You nailed it...it's all about Obama and racism :rolleyes:

dylbert
03-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Owners should say nothing. Today's players with Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, etc. will unravel quickly. Blame, back-biting, disunity and more will emerge in coming days and weeks.

Rich, powerful owners did not make their fortunes being weak, powerless decision makers and negotiators. While owners cannot make up time lost should this lockout become protracted, each and every player is losing value every moment that he does not have contract. NFL player has shortest "shelf-life" of any pro athlete.

Is our real salvation to finally embrace the other football, soccer? :bang:

PhantomOnTour
03-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Now, if you wanna tie politics and sport then soccer is the place to start. I am a big fan, but it will never catch on in the USA (not in my lifetime). We still have our 3rd rate athletes playing soccer...the best play football or basketball. In other countries it's the other way around.

IMO too much meaningless bulls**t drama surrounds the game on the international and foreign club level....diving, match fixing, racism, hooliganism, politics, you name it.

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2011, 12:47 PM
You make an interesting suggestion. After all, it was BO who once said that he has nothing against people making money --- BUT...BUT...there's a point when enough is enough. I like your idea of nationalizing the NFL and the government imposing a heavy tax on all players making over what...$250K. (That seems to be the magic number, right?) But we're dreamin' because this would never happen since football teams employ so many black players. BO wouldn't want to risk their cleats on the back of his neck, would he?

Boxcar
P.S. Of course, BO could also issue waivers to the black players. :rolleyes:Wow...I know it's off topic, but I think everyone would agree that we tire of you injecting politics and Obama into EVERY THREAD where they both start out conspicuously ABSENT.

boxcar
03-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Wow...I know it's off topic, but I think everyone would agree that we tire of you injecting politics and Obama into EVERY THREAD where they both start out conspicuously ABSENT.

Was it not Tom who first broached the subject of "nationalizing" the NFL? If he wasn't politicizing the "lock out", what did he mean when he also injected "feds" into the initial post to this thread? I must be missing how politics (at least) was "conspicuously ABSENT", so I stand to be corrected again.

Boxcar

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2011, 12:58 PM
I suppose you are correct, but that doesn't negate my point in general. You have done this sort of thing many times in the past, in threads that definitely did not start out political in nature...

And what was with the race aspect of your reply? I'm no fan of Obama, but do you really think he has shown himself to be that biased in favor of blacks over whites during his current term?

Are you going to be the white Kanye West and post next that Obama doesn't care about white people? :lol:

Saratoga_Mike
03-12-2011, 01:11 PM
I suppose you are correct, but that doesn't negate my point in general. You have done this sort of thing many times in the past, in threads that definitely did not start out political in nature...

And what was with the race aspect of your reply? I'm no fan of Obama, but do you really think he has shown himself to be that biased in favor of blacks over whites during his current term?
Are you going to be the white Kanye West and post next that Obama doesn't care about white people? :lol:

I echo your sentiment here 100%, but did you really want to ask him that? I've got a lot of money that says he runs with it.

boxcar
03-12-2011, 01:31 PM

I plead guilty to the "many times in the past" charge. I suppose this is a reaction to how government has become such a big, intrusive part of the people's lives.

Bone up on BLT, for starters. That "theology" is not exactly a "love your neighbor" theology. And he sat under that garbage for 20 years! No one sits under a preacher for that long unless they substantially and essentially buy into what the guy is selling.

And then we have more evidence: Recall how Obama "rushed to judgment" when that white cop arrested the black homeowner?

Or do you recall how Holder gave the New Black Panthers a pass on voter intimidation charges?

Or do you recall in BO's book "From Dreams of my Father" this quote:

"I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites."? (p. 15)

Or how 'bout this quote from his "Audacity of Hope":

"...I will stand with them [Muslims and Arabic Immigrants in USA] should the political winds shift in an ugly direction." (p. 261

Does this sound like someone who doesn't have a prejudicial bone in his body? These quotes, his actions in office, his church membership and even his Marxist background and associations would all be consistent with racist beliefs. But again...I stand to be corrected, if you know better.

Boxcar

PhantomOnTour
03-12-2011, 01:34 PM
I echo your sentiment here 100%, but did you really want to ask him that? I've got a lot of money that says he runs with it.
Score one for Saratoga Mike :lol:
Run he did...

Saratoga_Mike
03-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Score one for Saratoga Mike :lol:
Run he did...

I knew Box wouldn't let me down!

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I plead guilty to the "many times in the past" charge. I suppose this is a reaction to how government has become such a big, intrusive part of the people's lives.

Bone up on BLT, for starters. That "theology" is not exactly a "love your neighbor" theology. And he sat under that garbage for 20 years! No one sits under a preacher for that long unless they substantially and essentially buy into what the guy is selling.

And then we have more evidence: Recall how Obama "rushed to judgment" when that white cop arrested the black homeowner?

Or do you recall how Holder gave the New Black Panthers a pass on voter intimidation charges?

Or do you recall in BO's book "From Dreams of my Father" this quote:

"I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites."? (p. 15)

Or how 'bout this quote from his "Audacity of Hope":

"...I will stand with them [Muslims and Arabic Immigrants in USA] should the political winds shift in an ugly direction." (p. 261

Does this sound like someone who doesn't have a prejudicial bone in his body? These quotes, his actions in office, his church membership and even his Marxist background and associations would all be consistent with racist beliefs. But again...I stand to be corrected, if you know better.

BoxcarThe only one of any substance is the New Black Panther case...all the others carry very little consequence in the grand scheme of things. All in all, from where I sit, I can't label Obama more pro-Black then pro-White anymore than I can label any past President more pro-White then pro-Black.

Tom
03-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Everyone I saw on the news that looked a whinny little cry baby was white.

Valuist
03-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I am definitely not a union guy and hated the protests in Wisconsin. BUT......in this case I side with the players. They want the status quo. THEY are the attraction. Nobody pays to watch Jerry Jones or Al Davis own. And unlike other unions, the players are NOT replaceable. We've been there, tried that (1987) and it was a horrific failure. I suspect things will get worked out before opening week because there is just too much for both sides to lose.

PhantomOnTour
03-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Don't the owners still get TV contract money whether they play or not?

Tom
03-12-2011, 01:55 PM
The players ARE replaceable - they all retire and new ones come along.

But......
Both sides are scum bag greedy bastards.

PhantomOnTour
03-12-2011, 01:57 PM
The players ARE replaceable - they all retire and new ones come along.

But......
Both sides are scum bag greedy bastards.
But, they are not replaceable all at once.

Tom
03-12-2011, 02:00 PM
To me they are.
Reruns of Law and Order sounds better.

PhantomOnTour
03-12-2011, 02:10 PM
To me they are.
Reruns of Law and Order sounds better.
Only the old ones with George Dzundza or Paul Sorvino, and Chris Noth.

Tom
03-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Yes......where are all those episodes, anyway?
I know Lenny's dialog for every show. I could have been his understudy!:D

PhantomOnTour
03-12-2011, 02:19 PM
When Benjamin Bratt checked in, I checked out.

Goes to show you how a good show/concept will be over-exposed and imitated. We have so many L & O spinoff types it's sickening...just look at what happened to the original CSI (in Vegas), which was the only one I watched. They've sold out worse than the Hard Rock Cafe'...what's next, CSI Wilkes-Barre?

OTM Al
03-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Don't the owners still get TV contract money whether they play or not?

No, a judge already ruled they can't have that because the players were involved with that contract.

I'm all for the players in this one too. NFL owners crying broke but not willing to show their books makes me laugh. Owning an NFL team is a license to print money. If owners have messed that up, it's their problem. NFL players are treated far worse than players in any other sport and are basically pieces of meat with numbers on them to team management. They are worth every dime they can get.

bigmack
03-12-2011, 02:32 PM
They are worth every dime they can get.
With no shortage of exceptions.

http://uvtblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ryan_leaf.jpg

boxcar
03-12-2011, 02:44 PM
I knew Box wouldn't let me down!

Why would you expect anything different? Do you think I'm like some cowardly liberal who only knows how to shrink back from the truth or spew forth politically correct nonsense? Not hardly! I call the shots the way I see 'em.

And to add to my points made earlier, I nearly forgot when BO tossed his white granny under the bus when he stereotyped her as being a "typical white person".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abPQ9kZe3ZA

And here's another couple of juicy ones taken from "Dreams of my Father":

"There were enough of us on campus to constitute a tribe, and when it came to hanging out, many of us chose to function like a tribe, staying close together, traveling in packs. . . It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names"

"I found solice in nursing a pervasive sense of grievancee and animosity against my mother's race"

Anyhow...I know you and Da Phantom will provide more racism evidence to bolster mine as you find it. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Saratoga_Mike
03-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Fine job Box - you've convinced me that Obama is out to get the white man.

slew101
03-12-2011, 06:30 PM
I'll check back on the NFL on Labor Day. Something tells me they'll be preparing for the start of the season.

Until then, I don't care about these daily updates on ESPN like the world is ending.

They'll get a deal done by August. Too much money at stake for both sides.

boxcar
03-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Fine job Box - you've convinced me that Obama is out to get the white man.

I would believe you if you tell me how you managed to peel away the scales from your eyes.

Boxcar

prospector
03-12-2011, 07:24 PM
i want my saturday parley cards..i always play a 3 teamer for 3 bucks..makes sunday more interesting..

cj's dad
03-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Now, if you wanna tie politics and sport then soccer is the place to start. I am a big fan, but it will never catch on in the USA (not in my lifetime). We still have our 3rd rate athletes playing soccer...the best play football or basketball. In other countries it's the other way around.

IMO too much meaningless bulls**t drama surrounds the game on the international and foreign club level....diving, match fixing, racism, hooliganism, politics, you name it.

Only because they are not good enough to play baseball !!

Tom
03-14-2011, 11:30 AM
I don't think there is anything you can do to soccer to make it more than :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

cj's dad
03-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Here's my solution:
Owners-
1) -$10 million per team annually in signing bonuses - $1M max per player

2) - salary cap by position; after all, this is what real unions do.

3) - Eliminate Thursday night games - the players hate them and for the most part the schedulling can have detrimental effects for the teams involved.

Players-
1) - demand guaranteed contracts; the average life span of an NFL running back is 3 years; linemen slightly higher.

2) reduce exhibition games to 2 per year.

3) - regular season remains at 16 games.

4) - Demand that all pending workers comp. cases be settled within 12 months ( there are currently nearly 200 pending review because the league is stonewalling)

5) - pension guaranteed (at the 5 year level) if player has a career ending
injury, even if it occurs in less than a 5 year career

HUSKER55
03-14-2011, 05:57 PM
It would be fun to see what would happen if the owners said NO and there was no football this season.

Would not be the worse thing that could happen.

So a bunch of over aged juvenile delinquents have to grow up. It seems every team has several players who have a combination of girl, booze or drug problems.

Seperate the wheat from the chaf.

NJ Stinks
03-14-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't think there is anything you can do to soccer to make it more than :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

I do. Get rid of offsides. Completely. Let guys cherrypick. Get somebody back to guard the cherrypicker.

Open the game up is my humble suggestion.

Tom
03-14-2011, 07:25 PM
It would be fun to see what would happen if the owners said NO and there was no football this season.

Bring back the XFL!

Ocala Mike
03-15-2011, 01:38 AM
Remember this guy? He looks like a genius now.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/12/08/fitzhugh-turns-down-jets-for-train-conductor-job/

Ocala Mike

TJDave
03-15-2011, 02:23 AM
He looks like a genius now.

Yeah, well, he'd better hope his union doesn't go out on strike. :rolleyes: