PDA

View Full Version : peter berry

lamboguy
03-11-2011, 07:05 PM
we are very blessed to have mostly great announcers in our sport. peter berry calls a real good race. i am saying that because he keeps me interested in the mountain. i felt sorry for him the night when his eyeballs were popping out of their sockets with all the odds changes during the race. he took the greatest stance i have ever seen, he stopped calling the odds so he didn't look like a fool.

Stillriledup
03-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Peter is a great announcer and a better human being. Racing is lucky to have him.

lamboguy
03-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Peter is a great announcer and a better human being. Racing is lucky to have him.
yes they truly are, they also have great ones like durkin, stauffer, denman, colmus. its unreal how great they do getting the best announcers and can't run the rest of the game right. i just came up with a brainstorm, they ought to hire the announcers to run the place. can't be worse than what they have now.

bigmack
03-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Ex-journalist, went to radio school, worked for DRF for a spell.

The $4 question: Is he a citizen of this country by now?

Peter Berry
03-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Ex-journalist, went to radio school, worked for DRF for a spell.

The $4 question: Is he a citizen of this country by now?

Eight years at DRF (after stints at Figs Form and The Racing Times).

Naturalized in 1993.

bigmack
03-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Eight years at DRF (after stints at Figs Form and The Racing Times).

Naturalized in 1993.
Tip top.

What did you do for F.I.G.S.?

Love to hear a tale or two of this place:
Berry's grandparents owned and operated a Melbourne-area bush track called Sheep Hills, where his interest in horse racing and race calling grew into more than a passing fancy.

craigbraddick
03-11-2011, 09:03 PM
yes they truly are, they also have great ones like durkin, stauffer, denman, colmus. its unreal how great they do getting the best announcers and can't run the rest of the game right. i just came up with a brainstorm, they ought to hire the announcers to run the place. can't be worse than what they have now.

Good God, no!!!! :)

Craig

craigbraddick
03-11-2011, 09:05 PM

Cannot sum him up better than that. Great man and someone I really look up to.

Craig

Peter Berry
03-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Tip top.

What did you do for F.I.G.S.?

West Coast Editor. Fountaine was East Coast Editor.

Peter Berry
03-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Love to hear a tale or two of this place:

Actually, Sheep Hills is a long way from Melbourne but in the same state. My grandparents owned the track before I was born. They also owned the local golf course, football field and drive-in threatre, all of which were inside the confines of the racetrack. Oh, and they owned the local pub, of course. I think the last race card at Sheep Hills was in 1966. The Sheep Hills Cup is run at nearby Warracknabeal these days.

Edward DeVere
03-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Churchill Downs goes for an accent guy, and he isn't named Berry, Geller or Wrona.

Nuts. Absolutely nuts.

Please tell me two of the three named above will be announcing at Tampa and Oaklawn in 2012.

(And the last guy standing can do Turfway, if he'll have it.)

Peter Berry
03-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Churchill Downs goes for an accent guy, and he isn't named Berry, Geller or Wrona.

Nuts. Absolutely nuts.

Please tell me two of the three named above will be announcing at Tampa and Oaklawn in 2012.

(And the last guy standing can do Turfway, if he'll have it.)

To paraphrase TISM, every track has the announcer it deserves.

lamboguy
03-12-2011, 03:06 PM
i don't care about the accent, i want a good exciting call from a race caller that is well prepared.

peter, please don't change your accent, just please continue to do a good job like you have done for years.

bigmack
03-12-2011, 03:18 PM
peter, please don't change your accent, just please continue to do a good job like you have done for years.
Can somebody get me a tissue? This really got to me.

elhelmete
03-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Love your calls, glad that my old man still has some runners at MNR.

Just spent 9 days in Sydney and heard calls from a LOT of tracks, TBs, trotters, and dogs. Damn, those guys call down to last place at the wire and are accurate!

Stillriledup
11-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Peter not calling at Mountain anymore?

shouldacoulda
11-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Peter not calling at Mountain anymore?
I was just hoping he was on vacation. Anybody know for sure?

jballscalls
11-16-2013, 10:25 AM

I heard Matt Hook filling in. Always cracks me up when someone is gone people think the worst. I was sick and missed a day this year and my boss got two emails from young guys trying to the break into the business thinking the job was open LOL

People get sick, take vacations, have graduations to go to etc.

mountainman
11-16-2013, 11:56 AM
I heard Matt Hook filling in. Always cracks me up when someone is gone people think the worst. I was sick and missed a day this year and my boss got two emails from young guys trying to the break into the business thinking the job was open LOL

How goes it, pal? Sharp post. When Nancy has the night off people always stop by and casually offer to "sit in and help."

PoloUK6108
11-16-2013, 01:05 PM
To paraphrase TISM, every track has the announcer it deserves.

That's the truth. I just wish Churchill had a better announcer than they deserved, Johnson has gotten old real quick. In my perfect racing world Kurt Becker is the voice of Churchill/Keeneland. (Also in that world, Churchill took notes from Keeneland and had a massive, tasteful remodel to give the hunk o junk a facelift about 5 years ago. :D )

Peter Berry
11-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Back tonight.

lamboguy
11-16-2013, 01:55 PM
its great to have you back tonight. we all missed you

Peter Berry
11-16-2013, 02:14 PM
its great to have you back tonight. we all missed you
Thank you. Mountaineer was in very good hands in my absence.

Stillriledup
11-16-2013, 02:24 PM

I agree, i did like that new guy, he was pretty good for a "fill in". Glad to see you're ok and back at the Mic. :ThmbUp:

Relwob Owner
11-16-2013, 02:30 PM

Mr. Hook did a very nice job filling in. However, to me, you are one of a kind and Mountaineer is one of the few tracks where I always have the volume on.....I appreciate the terrific job you do.

Stillriledup
11-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Mr. Hook did a very nice job filling in. However, to me, you are one of a kind and Mountaineer is one of the few tracks where I always have the volume on.....I appreciate the terrific job you do.

Yes. You would probably have to look long and hard to find a person who has a bad thing to say about his racecalling or him as a person. Mtn is incredibly lucky to have Peter, Mark and Nancy as the "Faces" (and voices) of their track.

JustRalph
11-16-2013, 03:14 PM
I thought the pure culture shock would have run him out of WV by now. :lol:

appistappis
11-17-2013, 02:23 AM
glad that peter hadn't put the cue in the rack, but the new guy was pretty good.

Stillriledup
03-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Pete is back in action tonight, opening night at the Mountain.

:ThmbUp:

Edward DeVere
03-02-2014, 12:45 AM
There are many competent announcers in the game, but I've said it before and I'll say it again: Give me The Three Anglomigos - Berry, Geller and Wrona - and you can have the rest.

onefast99
03-03-2014, 03:53 PM

You are one of the best, thats why we race there!