PDA

View Full Version : inquriy into overlay publications

acorn54
03-10-2011, 07:47 PM
been reading on overlay publications's material. tim haas i believe is the seller.
has anyone tried this material.
observations and impressions would be appreciated.

Johnny V
03-10-2011, 09:48 PM
The author of the material is Tim Maas. The one publication of his that I have read was Overlay Handicapping which I purchased some years ago in the GBC in LV. IMO it is well written and explains how to use impact values in weighing the relative merits of the entries and their use in creating an odds line.

Dave Schwartz
03-10-2011, 11:02 PM
For what it is worth -

Tim Maas has been a long-time poster on the forum; I mean for years. He has a history of treating people respectfully, and his opinions are sound. I have had a couple of private dealings with him and he has always proven to be a person of honor and integrity.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

thaskalos
03-11-2011, 12:08 AM
Acorn,

It is no secret that the vast majority of the horse related methods offered through the mail, or the internet, are not worth the paper they are printed on...and I should know.

I have spent THOUSANDS over the years, on every serious-sounding handicapping system or method available...and I can count the worthwhile ones with the fingers of ONE hand.

I bought Tim Maas's products a couple of years ago, and I was so impressed by the depth of his knowledge and the clarity of his presentation...that I am willing to do something that I have never done before.

If you are displeased in any way with his OVERLAY HANDICAPPING package, I will personally buy it back from you...no questions asked.

And let me hasten to add - for fear that I might be accused of being Tim Maas's "shill" - that I have NEVER communicated with the man in any way...other than the one time I sent him an email, congratulating him on his work.

I figured it was the least I could do...

Why am I endorsing this man's products so enthusiastically?

Because there are damned few "good guys" in the handicapping information business...and they deserve more recognition than they currently get!

bigbrown
03-11-2011, 12:15 AM
where can one purchase this today?

Robert Goren
03-11-2011, 12:44 AM
He posts here frequently. I think if you PM him, you would get a reply.

riskman
03-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Tim Maas user name on this forum is:

Overlay

Look him up on the roster and his "signature" will lead you to his website.

Tonight, I was watching the quiz show "Jeopardy" and I believe Maas was a contestant. Had to leave for a dinner engagement half way through the show, so I do not know how it ended. Tim M. was ahead at the time.Can anyone confirm this? Hope he did well.

acorn54
03-11-2011, 01:11 AM
Acorn,

It is no secret that the vast majority of the horse related methods offered through the mail, or the internet, are not worth the paper they are printed on...and I should know.

I have spent THOUSANDS over the years, on every serious-sounding handicapping system or method available...and I can count the worthwhile ones with the fingers of ONE hand.

I bought Tim Maas's products a couple of years ago, and I was so impressed by the depth of his knowledge and the clarity of his presentation...that I am willing to do something that I have never done before.

If you are displeased in any way with his OVERLAY HANDICAPPING package, I will personally buy it back from you...no questions asked.

And let me hasten to add - for fear that I might be accused of being Tim Maas's "shill" - that I have NEVER communicated with the man in any way...other than the one time I sent him an email, congratulating him on his work.

Because there are damned few "good guys" in the handicapping information business...and they deserve more recognition than they currently get!
i did send for his publications
it seems like an updated continuation of fred davis's work, so i am curious.
he does offer a 90-day money back guarantee
fred davis's approach no longer works if it ever did, from the research and pencil and paper results i have gotten. by no longer works i mean by itself, working his methodology in the "little book" of ratings that takes into account basically -recency,class,speed, and consistency.

chickenhead
03-11-2011, 01:13 AM

Overlay

Tonight, I was watching the quiz show "Jeopardy" and I believe Maas was a contestant. Had to leave for a dinner engagement half way through the show, so I do not know how it ended. Tim M. was ahead at the time.Can anyone confirm this? Hope he did well.

You can catch him on the show again, tomorrow : )

bigmack
03-11-2011, 01:45 AM
acorn54 inquiring about credibility. :lol:

acorn54
03-11-2011, 02:03 AM
tim sent me an email about his being on a business trip and said he would send out material saturday

Tom
03-11-2011, 07:51 AM
I did a review of some of his stuff a couple of years ago. Try the search, or I will see if I can find it.

I think he has good products that can be a help to anyone wanting to use them. Nothing but good things to say about the material or the man. :ThmbUp:

Pace7joe
03-11-2011, 10:48 AM

Overlay

If the contestant on Jeopardy named "Tim" is Tim Maas, He won the contest
on the Thursday (3/10/11) night show...He won over 30g's. And will return tonight (friday). And who said handicapper don't read?

Otealfr
02-16-2017, 08:04 PM
I sure hope that you are right, Acorn.
I just sent for his whole "enchilada" AS Dr Wayne Dyer likes to say when he sales the complete package of something that his had produced,because I will hate to call you out in your offering of buying it back! LOL :)
Thanks and have a nice day!

Pensacola Pete
02-18-2017, 02:08 PM
I will hate to call you out in your offering of buying it back! LOL :)

Especially since the thread WAS almost six years old.

FakeNameChanged
02-22-2017, 03:28 PM
I sure hope that you are right, Acorn.
I just sent for his whole "enchilada" AS Dr Wayne Dyer likes to say when he sales the complete package of something that his had produced,because I will hate to call you out in your offering of buying it back! LOL :)
I bought it on Thaskalos' word alone. Sometimes you have to count the votes and other times you have to weigh them.

acorn54
03-03-2017, 07:25 AM
funny i'm still here .
i don't bet much anymore. and it was 6 years ago. the world changes and people with it. seems like horseracing was a whole different reality than what it is today. smaller fields. low priced horses are all i can find nowadays. well have a blast with the package. i always got a kick out of trying a new way of picking the horses i was going to bet on. i am 62 years young now, caught pony fever in 1978 and from what i can recall 99% of those years i came out losing at the end of the year. fortunately i was and am a 2 dollar to win bettor. i was never one to come by money easily. like a co-worker i ran into said "i find making money so hard, i don't want to spend it when i get it." i was and am a "saver", and used only thrill money on gambling. ta ta

Greyfox
03-03-2017, 12:16 PM
Acorn,

Well said.
My son has used Tim's package for a number of years.
This past Xmas he gave me Tim's writings.
The concepts that Tim presents are sound and are excellent tools for any serious student of the game.

thaskalos
03-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Well said.
My son has used Tim's package for a number of years.
This past Xmas he gave me Tim's writings.
The concepts that Tim presents are sound and are excellent tools for any serious student of the game.

People buy handicapping books expecting to find "ready-made", fully-developed methods that they can implement "as-is" right from the start. I don't believe that such methods -- if they exist at all -- are sold for the price of a book. What I look for are offerings that stretch one's mind in original ways...getting him to look at the old game with a new set of eyes.

The author passes the baton to the reader, so to speak...and then the reader takes it the rest of the way, if he is able.

Actor
03-19-2017, 07:19 PM
People buy handicapping books expecting to find "ready-made", fully-developed methods that they can implement "as-is" right from the start. I don't believe that such methods -- if they exist at all -- are sold for the price of a book. What I look for are offerings that stretch one's mind in original ways...getting him to look at the old game with a new set of eyes.

The author passes the baton to the reader, so to speak...and then the reader takes it the rest of the way, if he is able.I wonder. If the author of a handicapping book were to state in chapter one that he was not offering a ready-made, fully-developed method but instead was passing the baton to the reader would it sell?

thaskalos
03-19-2017, 08:21 PM
I wonder. If the author of a handicapping book were to state in chapter one that he was not offering a ready-made, fully-developed method but instead was passing the baton to the reader would it sell?

The exaggeration sells better than the truth.

acorn54
03-20-2017, 12:09 PM
i am more familiar with technical analysis with reading stock charts than i am with horse racing. it is a fact of life that quite a few few people are well versed in this science that more often that not they show a healthy return, yearly. didn't the late dick schmidt move on to commodities trading from horseracing?
i am quite surprised its not been mentioned before, my here to fore comments, about the subject of technical analysis. i will not promote any persons or books on the subject, here as i don't think it proper but anyone cam pm me and i 'd be happy to refer them to some stuff and services that are reputable and well known in their fields.
my point being that people do write books that if followed can make them money, it's a non-issue.

thaskalos
03-20-2017, 01:35 PM
i am more familiar with technical analysis with reading stock charts than i am with horse racing. it is a fact of life that quite a few few people are well versed in this science that more often that not they show a healthy return, yearly. didn't the late dick schmidt move on to commodities trading from horseracing?
i am quite surprised its not been mentioned before, my here to fore comments, about the subject of technical analysis. i will not promote any persons or books on the subject, here as i don't think it proper but anyone cam pm me and i 'd be happy to refer them to some stuff and services that are reputable and well known in their fields.
my point being that people do write books that if followed can make them money, it's a non-issue.

Have you encountered a horse racing book that falls under this description?

acorn54
03-20-2017, 06:19 PM
Have you encountered a horse racing book that falls under this description?

good question.
tim maas/fred davis type stats are two. i moved on to "greener" pastures, firstly i find it "easier and less work to profit in the financial markets, than the parimutuel conditions of horserace betting.
secondly, the tax advantages, the u.s. tax code encourages investing in the financial markets and discourages the arena of horseracing. you have in the u.s. triple taxation on any gains in horseracing. firstly there is the take, secondly there is dime breakage, and thirdly there is capital gains.

AltonKelsey
03-26-2017, 01:11 AM
You forgot that losses CANNOT be deducted but gains are taxed at your top rate.

The taxation on racetrack winnings is medieval.

acorn54
03-27-2017, 08:13 AM
You forgot that losses CANNOT be deducted but gains are taxed at your top rate.

The taxation on racetrack winnings is medieval.

reflects the puritan ethic and calvinistic philosophy that this country was founded upon