PDA

View Full Version : Obama's America 35% on the dole

JustRalph
03-10-2011, 02:10 AM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/41969508

I have been sitting on this one for two days.

The next time you go out into a public place and are standing near 2 other people.......

you and one of the other guys is paying the 3rd guys way........

This is an American record btw..............

"Government payouts—including Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance—make up more than a third of total wages and salaries of the U.S. population, a record figure that will only increase if action isn’t taken before the majority of Baby Boomers enter retirement.

Even as the economy has recovered, social welfare benefits make up 35 percent of wages and salaries this year, up from 21 percent in 2000 and 10 percent in 1960, according to TrimTabs Investment Research using Bureau of Economic Analysis data.

“The U.S. economy has become alarmingly dependent on government stimulus,” said Madeline Schnapp, director of Macroeconomic Research at TrimTabs, in a note to clients. “Consumption supported by wages and salaries is a much stronger foundation for economic growth than consumption based on social welfare benefits.”

Don't forget, half of America pays no taxes at all. I sent my taxes off to the accountant today. I asked if she could just "check that block for me" this year.........she laughed.......but not real hard..........

more at the link

HUSKER55
03-10-2011, 02:24 AM
I think there is a lot of fraud and graft. It needs to be policed better.

prospector
03-10-2011, 09:06 AM
i'm a double dipper..
social security and disabled vets payment each month..
it ain't enough to write home about..

Tom
03-10-2011, 10:01 AM
i'm a double dipper..
social security and disabled vets payment each month..
it ain't enough to write home about..

No you're not - you're an American, and a damn good one!
I'll take one of you over 100 libs any day.

boxcar
03-10-2011, 12:22 PM
I think Rush pointed out yesterday that back in the '60's -- basically one generation ago -- only about 10% of wages and salaries went toward entitlement programs. So, now it's more than triple that! And libs think this isn't even good enough and that even more people should get on the dole, and that all Americans should be chompin' at their bit to do their part for humanity by parting with more of our money.

Boxcar

PhantomOnTour
03-10-2011, 12:32 PM
"The Dole"...how English sounding of us.

The dole here refers to SS and Vets Payments as well as the dreaded welfare. Are you folks against the first two? Surely if I were a vet I would feel 'entitled' to my bennies after defending this country. When I am of age to receive SS I want mine (provided it's still around).

hcap
03-10-2011, 12:47 PM
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/study-tallies-corporations-not-paying-income-tax/

"Two out of every three United States corporations paid no federal income taxes from 1998 through 2005, according to a report released Tuesday by the Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress."

All sorts of "doles"
Off shore tax havens
A team of high priced lawyers manipulating tax code to claim no income.

Same lawyers not available to the mom with 3 kids on welfare and food stamps. Or the other working poor living paycheck to paycheck.

The recession that caused all the financial grief state and fereral, was primarily brought about by shenanigans on wall street, and you guys are sill into the "welfare queen" mythology as the root of all evil.
Amazing

Robert Goren
03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Who pays for the lobbyists? They would not be getting paid, if they weren't producing government money for someone.

The Judge
03-10-2011, 12:54 PM
I wish they would stay home and quit driving all over town during rush hour.
Some have even taken to driving big semi-trucks and the lot.

They are also clogging up the buses,the trains, and the Under Ground Rapid Transit System. This is all before 8:00 a.m . Pretty industrious lot of freeloaders if you ask me.

They couldn't all be going to get free health care at the same time could they?

ArlJim78
03-10-2011, 01:07 PM
It's an ugly trend, this percentage is rising rapidly and not a sign of a healthy country. I think the recent big contributors are unemployment and food stamps, of course everything else is going up too.

I read a few weeks ago that currently 67 percent of all federal goverment spending is in the form of checks written to individuals, and this percentage has risen dramatically.

like so many things happening now, it's unsustainable.

johnhannibalsmith
03-10-2011, 01:19 PM
...A team of high priced lawyers manipulating tax code to claim no income...

Good we agree on something. Let's get rid of this rigged tax code designed to benefit everyone but the alleged beneficiaries.

Only sonofabitches with enough money left to advertise on TV are drug companies, H&R Block, and JK Harris Tax Attorney extraordinaire.

bigmack
03-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Only sonofabitches with enough money left to advertise on TV are drug companies, H&R Block, and JK Harris Tax Attorney extraordinaire.
Fill in the blank.

800 588-2300 ________ http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/whistling.gif

Tom
03-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by hcap
...A team of high priced lawyers manipulating tax code to claim no income...

Why haven't the dems re-written the tax codes, then?
They have had the keys to the car the last two years.....no excuse for inaction.

Obama and his boys had allowed this abuse to continue.

Thanks for pointing that out.

prospector
03-10-2011, 01:40 PM
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/study-tallies-corporations-not-paying-income-tax/

"Two out of every three United States corporations paid no federal income taxes from 1998 through 2005, according to a report released Tuesday by the Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress."

i'll say it again..there should be NO corporate taxes..none, nada..
who pays those taxes? employees, shareholders and the buyers of that product the corporation produces..
a corporation is a legal entity..period..it exists to make a profit for its owners (shareholders)..
every meeting i used to attend i always went in to get more than i had before..i owed it to my shareholders..it doesn't matter that my wife and i were the shareholders..
with no corporate taxes i could have paid more each year into our employee profit sharing plan and bigger bonuses for all employees..it was a real waste of my time to figure out how not to pay taxes..

mostpost
03-10-2011, 02:13 PM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/41969508

I have been sitting on this one for two days.

The next time you go out into a public place and are standing near 2 other people.......

you and one of the other guys is paying the 3rd guys way........

This is an American record btw..............

"Government payouts—including Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance—make up more than a third of total wages and salaries of the U.S. population, a record figure that will only increase if action isn’t taken before the majority of Baby Boomers enter retirement.

Even as the economy has recovered, social welfare benefits make up 35 percent of wages and salaries this year, up from 21 percent in 2000 and 10 percent in 1960, according to TrimTabs Investment Research using Bureau of Economic Analysis data.

“The U.S. economy has become alarmingly dependent on government stimulus,” said Madeline Schnapp, director of Macroeconomic Research at TrimTabs, in a note to clients. “Consumption supported by wages and salaries is a much stronger foundation for economic growth than consumption based on social welfare benefits.”

Don't forget, half of America pays no taxes at all. I sent my taxes off to the accountant today. I asked if she could just "check that block for me" this year.........she laughed.......but not real hard..........

more at the link

Your headline is wrong.
Obama's America 35% on the dole
And this is wrong.

you and one of the other guys is paying the 3rd guys way......

The article does not say that one out of three Americans is receiving welfare.
It says that 35% of all money for wages and salaries is being paid to Social Security, Medicare and welfare programs. Social Security and Medicare are not welfare programs. They are insurance programs for which we have been paying the premiums all our working life. As for unemployment and other welfare programs, the numbers of those participating in those programs was diminishing until the Bush recession.

So what has caused the percentages to increase as they have. First, no doubt, the arrival of the Baby Boomer generation at retirement age is having a major effect. The recession has had an effect. But, I think a third factor has been the stagnation of wages over the last thirty years. While private industry wages have stagnated Social Security wages have, by law, increased in concert with inflation. I don't know, but there may have been other increases enacted also.

The solution is not to pull everyone down to a least common denominator. It is to raise everyone up to where they belong.

johnhannibalsmith
03-10-2011, 02:18 PM
... It is to raise everyone up to where they belong...

...using welfare programs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
This is the fundamental thing libs will never understand.

The right makes people depend upon themselves.
The left makes them depend on others.

The lib mindset will never lead to anything but failure and dependency.

The right mindset can lead to corruption and failure, but it alone has the option of success, if you decide to depend on yourself and really try hard.

The drawbacks to our side can be fixed, while those on the left can only be perpetuated.

mostpost
03-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Fill in the blank.

800 588-2300 ________ http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/whistling.gif
Can you get me a deal on carpeting??

johnhannibalsmith
03-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Can you get me a deal on carpeting??

I broke down and looked... okay fine Mack you win... those idiots seem to be flush too... :lol:

mostpost
03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
...using welfare programs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're fixated. Pay people what they are worth for the work they do, not what makes the biggest profit.

johnhannibalsmith
03-10-2011, 02:36 PM
You're fixated...

I'm fixated?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never used so many laughicons in my life!

boxcar
03-10-2011, 03:14 PM
The solution is not to pull everyone down to a least common denominator. It is to raise everyone up to where they belong.

The private sector within the free market system determines where everyone belongs in terms of salaries and wages. The wages/salaries are not capriciously or arbitrarily established according to the political whims and fancies of unions and politicians.

Moreover, if "everyone" in the private sector was brought up to the level of the inflated wages of public sector employees, what do you think that would do to inflation? :bang: :bang: If you think inflation is bad now, you'd be begging to turn the clock back! How do you think corporations would fund those stiff, radical increases in wages? (Oh, wait...I know...they would make the shareholders in the company eat crow. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

Boxcar

prospector
03-10-2011, 03:17 PM
You're fixated. Pay people what they are worth for the work they do, not what makes the biggest profit.
You're fixated. why is the the biggest profit a problem for you..i never went into business to make a small profit..not to go for the biggest profit is stupid..
even now in my late twilight years, everything i do on ebay is max profits..or as we used to say in the wholesale business...make your profit when you buy..not a bad philosophy for life..

johnhannibalsmith
03-10-2011, 03:27 PM
And in the same breath, I'm a guy that for the last two years has worked in a position doing the load of three people for the price of two-thirds of one simply because I cared about the enterprise enough to try to help make it survive.

Tom
03-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Pay people what they are worth for the work they do, not what makes the biggest profit.

But that is EXACTLY what the unions are doing.
What happens when a non-union guy comes along and is willing to do the job for half what the union guy gets? The worth of that job has now changed.
And, as we all know, some jobs just have no real worth to them. If an damn fool can do the job, what value is there to it? Yet, you insit on living wages, and bennies, and what not. A union's objective is to maximize the revenue it gets for itself and it's workers. Yet you seem to forget that part of it.

What do you thing the value of a guy who can only mop floors is? Can anyone else do the job? If anyone else can, it is foolish to give that job to anyone but the one willing to do for the lowest pay.
Do you insist on paying more that sticker price for a car, because the car is really worth it?

In reality, union limit the number of jobs, thereby denying many people a chance to work.

FantasticDan
03-10-2011, 03:42 PM
And in the same breath, I'm a guy that for the last two years has worked in a position doing the load of three people for the price of two-thirds of one simply because I cared about the enterprise enough to try to help make it survive.You worked on the Enterprise?

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/entyard.jpg

johnhannibalsmith
03-10-2011, 03:53 PM
You worked on the Enterprise?

Wrong one. That one looks to have a future.

GaryG
03-10-2011, 04:01 PM
The solution is not to pull everyone down to a least common denominator. It is to raise everyone up to where they belong.In a free market economy everyone will get just what they are worth. Might not be what you think they are worth, but tough. This includes millionaire athletes and the Lindsay Lohans of the world. They would not get big bucks if many people did not pay to see them. You don't need to help workers reach the "proper level". The free market economy sorts all of that out. FUBO.

JustRalph
03-10-2011, 06:07 PM
In a free market economy everyone will get just what they are worth. Might not be what you think they are worth, but tough. This includes millionaire athletes and the Lindsay Lohans of the world. They would not get big bucks if many people did not pay to see them. You don't need to help workers reach the "proper level". The free market economy sorts all of that out. FUBO.

exactly right. I was offered 12.50 to move away by neighbors. I am considering it..........

Native Texan III
03-10-2011, 07:03 PM
In a free market economy everyone will get just what they are worth. Might not be what you think they are worth, but tough. This includes millionaire athletes and the Lindsay Lohans of the world. They would not get big bucks if many people did not pay to see them. You don't need to help workers reach the "proper level". The free market economy sorts all of that out. FUBO.

There has not been a free market in USA for more than 100 years.
Those sure were the good old days. The race to the bottom was in full force. Don't like it, I'll hire another fresh immigrant off the boat.

What is left of the free market is now locked in a global competition against far better educated overseas workforces of folks that are ambitious, save for their future and are prepared to work hard and learn the latest skills. USA wages and jobs overall decline slowly year by year but at nowhere near the true free market rate skill for skill. The delusion is that there is some magic political fix for it all - there isn't.

singletax
03-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Have you ever considered there are 3 factors of economic production. It seems everybody focuses in on labor versus capital. Consider, several years ago a select group of high tech companies concentrated in the silicon valley made enormous achievements.

At the same time land values skyrocketed. What is interesting is all these landlords had a wealth transfer into their coffers without doing a thing.

The point is not to demonize landlords. However, labor and capital is where the wealth came from. Economically, most of us have a portion of all three factors.

A landlord has no impact on the value of his/her/corporate land. The value is due to the community paying for roads, bridges, schools, sewers, police, courts, jails, fire protection, etc.

I think before labor and capital fight it out it might be smart to recapture this rental value of land the community created. By the way business is part of the community.

This is not new thinking. The originators of capitalism, the French Physiocrats, Adam Smith, etc. understood this but to this day the royals prevail.

ElKabong
03-14-2011, 12:15 AM
Don't worry. Pass this here stimulus bill and we won't have more than 8% unemployment. That'll keep these people off the dole....