PDA

View Full Version : So how does this work?

takeout
03-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Noticed a horse in the pps awhile back, “Stanalama," that ran 2nd in a maiden race on 11/4/10 at Pen and was put up to 1st on an after-the-fact DQ that didn’t happen until he had already run in another maiden race (!) 9 days later and finished 5th.

Questions:
Do the connections now have to give their 5th place money back since the horse had already broken his maiden - even though they didn’t/couldn’t know it at that time?

Suppose he had won that race where he finished 5th. Would they have to forfeit the purse money even though it was through no fault of their own that their horse happened to brake his maiden twice?

I wonder if this happens very often? First time I’ve noticed it with maidens. I guess a “late DQ” could affect regular races too, depending upon the eligibility conditions.

Mineshaft
03-09-2011, 09:56 AM
It does happen and i would think they have to give the 5th place money back.

macguy
03-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Can't say I remember this happening in the last while off the top of my head.

I wouldn't think the connections would have to give anything back.

When he was entered and ran in the second maiden race, the horse was still eligible to run in that race, the results of the last race had not yet changed.

It was not until after that second race that he was up-graded to first, and now no longer a maiden.

That would be my take on it.

onefast99
03-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Macguy is correct the horse met the condition and the ruling on the other horse took place after the race was completed. Imagine if she had won 2 maidens, that would be a first!

tbwinner
03-09-2011, 04:41 PM
The horse was still eligible for the condition so the purse money should be kept.

Take a look at the horse Wonderlandbynight who got 2nd in a MSW at Arlington Park, ran 1st next time out then received 1st place money after the winner of the 1st race it ran was DQd after the fact (drugs).

Marlin
03-10-2011, 01:11 AM
I've seen this a few times. They keep their earnings and their wins. A very good position to be in if it's your horse that gets to win two of the same condition.

takeout
03-10-2011, 03:56 AM
Take a look at the horse WonderlandbynightWow, so it HAS happened before with a maiden “winning twice”. :cool:

I see it was 23 days between Wonderlandbynight’s races. What keeps this stuff hung up so long, appeals? Looks like it’s possible for a horse to start multiple times in the interim.

takeout
03-10-2011, 04:17 AM
I've seen this a few times. They keep their earnings and their wins. A very good position to be in if it's your horse that gets to win two of the same condition.Yeah, it’s like getting a free spin, or maybe even more, even though they don’t know it at the time. I wonder what’s the longest amount of time a “late DQ” has ever taken?

5k-claim
03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Yeah, it’s like getting a free spin, or maybe even more, even though they don’t know it at the time. I wonder what’s the longest amount of time a “late DQ” has ever taken?I got a call from the stewards one time telling me that a horse I had claimed (a few months prior) was disqualified for a positive drug test (ace) for a race that it had run nearly one full year earlier. The horse had made several starts in the meantime. I have no idea where things got 'lost in the shuffle' to take so long.

It was a really odd call out of the blue, but was fine by me.

jotb
03-10-2011, 11:32 AM
If I'm not wrong a horse by the name of Selfless won a maiden race 3 times..Horse wins on Nov 19th 2010 for 5k and gets claimed...The new trainer runs the horse back for a 7.5NW2L on Dec 1st 2010 and finished 2nd..Next out the horse is running back in a maiden 5k on Dec 22 2010 and wins the race..The horse is then scr. on Jan 7th 2011 out of a 7.5kNW2l..Then the horse shows up in a maiden 5k on Jan 11th 2011 and wins..The next 4 races the horse can't be found with a search warrant..It looks like the horse came back with a positive twicefor two different trainers..

takeout
03-10-2011, 06:49 PM
If I'm not wrong a horse by the name of Selfless won a maiden race 3 times..Just checked it out. That’s amazing. Wonder if the positive was for the same thing on both occasions? No wonder he’s having a little trouble now trying to get his nw2. He had to break his maiden three times! :D That's got to be a record, I would think.

takeout
03-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I have no idea where things got 'lost in the shuffle' to take so long.

It was a really odd call out of the blue, but was fine by me.That is odd. I would love to know the story behind why it took so long. Fortunately it didn’t involve your account. :)

5k-claim
03-10-2011, 08:19 PM
That is odd. I would love to know the story behind why it took so long. Fortunately it didn’t involve your account. :)To be honest, I didn't really think to ask the whole story. The steward just told me the pertinent facts that I had a condition back, and that the positive was for ace. That was really all that I needed to know.

I looked back at the pps, and it was a June that he ran in the race he was eventually disqualified in, and the next June when that fact was first reflected in the conditions of a later race.

If getting a call like that out of the blue was good news for me, it was certainly not good news for the other guys. Nearly a year later- give the money back.

mountainman
03-10-2011, 09:15 PM
For reasons I'm unaware of, the system sometimes moves slowly in testing samples and getting word of positives to the proper officials. A bad test on a winner is first reported to the stewards, who in turn inform the connections of both that winner and the place horse. More importantly, the judges pass the info along to the ast racing secretary. That's the official who verifies the eligibility and impost of all entrants. The ast sec will then consider each of the first two finishers as the winner until final resolution of the matter- which can be interminable and often entails a request for split samples.

It all sounds efficient, but i've seen long, inexplicable delays that resulted in situations much more convoluted than the one which sparked this thread.