PDA

View Full Version : Parlay vs Daily Double

MPRanger
03-08-2011, 01:37 PM
I have nothing against pure gambling. I do it all the time. I know better than to play Roulette and even worse double against losses. But I do it. I just don't try to make a living at it. I like to take a shot in a gamble to go for a score or to get ahead of some losses. I've never lost the rent doing this yet... my wife's car payment once but that was a one shot deal believe me.

But I believe in advantage play too. In the link below, the author questions whether a win parlay may be better than playing the daily double. I like his ideas as far as a game plan for gambling goes. But the point that is lost on this author is that the Daily Double can be an advantage play. He does not address this.

Once you have made oddslines on the DD races, a half assed oddsline if you must cause I get the idea that many of the posters here don't think it can be done right (which I respectfully disagree with). Then you can determine if the payout is overlay money by checking the toteboard/monitiors. If I play the double like this, I'm not living or dying with the outcome. I fully expect to lose more times than I hit it. But the times that I hit it, I expect it to pay me back for the losses plus a little walking around money.

But as far as having some fun and taking a shot at a score to win today vs the long run, I like the authors ideas.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Play-a-Parlay-Instead-of-a-Daily-Double-When-Betting-on-Horses&id=2824314

lamboguy
03-08-2011, 02:28 PM
in today's world a win parlay is usually better than the double because the second bet will always be bigger than the first and you will now get a rebate on both races. same thing in pick 3's and 4's.

Red Knave
03-08-2011, 02:46 PM
in today's world a win parlay is usually better than the double because the second bet will always be bigger than the first and you will now get a rebate on both races. same thing in pick 3's and 4's.
You need the bigger rebate because you're paying the takeout twice in a parlay. And, yes, I know the DD has a higher take than a win wager but it's still less than two win wagers, especially with the second parlay wager being larger than the first, and you will likely get a bigger percent rebate with a DD vs a win wager.
Ranger, I think it would be worthwhile to test the theory vs. the practice and see what happens.

Skanoochies
03-08-2011, 02:59 PM
....Definitely parley for me. After I cash the first race, I wan`t to see the horses before any of my money is going on them. Acting up badly in the paddock or on parade, dumping the rider and running around the track, breaking thru the gate and being put back in (Barbaro) All washed out and nervous, etc, these are the last things that I want a wager to be locked into. :bang:

Red Knave
03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I just read the ezine article.
The author's idea, basically, is that some form of money management can increase profitability but I also see that in his examples you increase your risk as well. This is as it should be.

lamboguy
03-08-2011, 03:31 PM
i think 9% rebate on win is pretty good for tracks like penn national and charlietown. i am not boycotting those tracks i support them. i kind of doubt that i will ever play california again no matter what they do with takeout or rebates. i like the racing better at the night time tracks.

mistergee
03-08-2011, 03:40 PM
9% on straight bets??

lamboguy
03-08-2011, 03:55 PM
9% on straight bets??
yes sir, i get it every single day. but i do bet pretty good.