PDA

View Full Version : What teams could beat the Heat right now in a 7 game series?

Zippy Chippy
03-07-2011, 05:32 PM
At the beginning of the year I was one of the guys that would say NONE. I thought they'd win 70 games.

Now I think the list is growing.

Celtics
Bulls
Lakers
Spurs
Even the Mavs maybe.

If the top 4 hold serve in the East in the playoffs I dont think the Heat will get past the Bulls.

cj
03-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Once Perkins settles in, you can add the Thunder to the list.

dav4463
03-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Magic
Knicks possibly

Really, any team with a strong penetrating point guard will give the Heat fits.

Valuist
03-08-2011, 03:16 PM
The Bulls are now 3-0 against the Heat. I think its safe to say they are one of the teams. As is Boston, Orlando, Lakers, Spurs, Mavericks. OkC and NY are on the bubble. Maybe.

Zippy Chippy
03-08-2011, 03:37 PM
The Bulls are now 3-0 against the Heat. I think its safe to say they are one of the teams. As is Boston, Orlando, Lakers, Spurs, Mavericks. OkC and NY are on the bubble. Maybe.

Ugh i think the only team id root for the Heat to beat is the Knicks. Hard to believe id be rooting for them. I still think OKC is a year or 2 away. Its scary how good they got so quick.

OTM Al
03-08-2011, 05:01 PM
The only thing I can think of when people talk about this team is how unbalanced their record is in close games. In baseball, a team that loses a lot of 1 run games is usually better than their record and has simply experienced what is essentially a run of bad luck yet I've heard no one say this about basketball, a game when the points mean about 10x less in magnitude than in baseball. What's their record with one more made basket per game? Not so bad anymore is it? I have to believe they are much better than they look right now. Don't really care as I have no dog in the fight, so just the thoughts of a casual observer.

Canarsie
03-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Just remember what people were saying about the Lakers before the all star break. I'm not a fan of the Heat but I'm going to say the odds will begin to tip in their favor in close games.

Sports is ebb and flow. I live in the NY area and when they lost to the Cavs it was doom and gloom. Now there are lots who say they can make the conference finals at least. I'm not among them but being objective as they still have a porous defense. People say they are improving but I'm seeing their opponents miss wide open looks.

I'm with CJ not with the Heat theory but if they get past the first round the Lakers will have a handful with Perkins.

cj
03-08-2011, 05:22 PM
The only thing I can think of when people talk about this team is how unbalanced their record is in close games. In baseball, a team that loses a lot of 1 run games is usually better than their record and has simply experienced what is essentially a run of bad luck yet I've heard no one say this about basketball, a game when the points mean about 10x less in magnitude than in baseball. What's their record with one more made basket per game? Not so bad anymore is it? I have to believe they are much better than they look right now. Don't really care as I have no dog in the fight, so just the thoughts of a casual observer.

What is more important is their record against good teams. There are a lot of patsies in the NBA.

cj's dad
03-08-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm ruling out the Wizards !

thaskalos
03-08-2011, 09:51 PM
What is more important is their record against good teams. There are a lot of patsies in the NBA.I agree...

14-18 against .500+ teams...and 1-9 against the top 5 teams in the league?

Hardly the stats of a championship contender...

Valuist
03-08-2011, 11:06 PM

Baseball teams that lose a lot of one run games usually have lousy bullpens.

IMO, the most overrated teams are those that destroy overmatched opponents then struggle against teams with similar or more talent. The Heat is the classic bully team.

magwell
06-01-2011, 09:34 AM
At the beginning of the year I was one of the guys that would say NONE. I thought they'd win 70 games.

Now I think the list is growing.

Celtics
Bulls
Lakers
Spurs
Even the Mavs maybe.

If the top 4 hold serve in the East in the playoffs I dont think the Heat will get past the Bulls. Mavs maybe.......??

OTM Al
06-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Hmm...had forgotten about this thread.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case.

(aka told ya so....)

magwell
06-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Hmm...had forgotten about this thread.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case.

(aka told ya so....) Brilliant assessment.......:cool:

maddog42
06-01-2011, 12:31 PM
I agree...

14-18 against .500+ teams...and 1-9 against the top 5 teams in the league?

Hardly the stats of a championship contender...

This can be misleading, especially when it comes to Elite Players. Don't you guys remember The Lakers with Shaquille coasting toward the end of the long Nba season. He would take nights off figuratively and literally. Jordan didn't take many nights off, but he would sure skip practices. I don't like Miami, but their record against good teams is not bad since the playoffs.hoho. Dallas doesn't match-up that bad against Miami.

RaceBookJoe
06-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Lebron and Wade are good, but i am more entertained watching "The Professor" and " Mr. Africa" from Ball Up. rbj

cj
06-03-2011, 12:01 AM
WOW!

ElKabong
06-03-2011, 12:12 AM
GOTTA admit i missed 90% of the comeback....heat goes up by 15, i turn it over to the astros- pads game......switch back and it's a 2 pt game....coulda swore it was 88-73 when i switched it over, then came back it was 90-88.....amazing

magwell
06-03-2011, 12:18 AM
That was sick.... a champion doesn't blow a 15 pt lead in crunch time........ I'm not happy, now 3 games there ...no good :confused:

Canarsie
06-03-2011, 09:50 AM
This has happened a bunch of time this year even though it was a monumental collapse. Dallas blew a 23 point lead to Portland, OKC to Dallas, and now Miami.

Right now Dallas has the momentum but that lasts only till tip off. They need to capitalize on it and close them out otherwise they are in trouble just my opinion. Miami went back to their bad habits late in the game why they didn't foul astonishes me.

Spoelstra did the right thing calling a timeout after the lead shrunk to 11 he saw what was coming. To me the biggest fault was they wanted to eat clock and became a perimeter shooting team ignoring the paint.

Give Dallas a lot of kudos they seized the opportunity.

The one thing that drives me crazy is all these so called "experts" red boarding this morning. I give props when the game is being called not a few hours after when you can think rationally about what your going to say. ESPN radio is the biggest offenders imo. One guy said Bosch would be the fourth option to defend Dirk, bet he didn't say that during the timeout. How some of these guys are even hired makes me smack my head.

maddog42
06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
This has happened a bunch of time this year even though it was a monumental collapse. Dallas blew a 23 point lead to Portland, OKC to Dallas, and now Miami.

Right now Dallas has the momentum but that lasts only till tip off. They need to capitalize on it and close them out otherwise they are in trouble just my opinion. Miami went back to their bad habits late in the game why they didn't foul astonishes me.

Spoelstra did the right thing calling a timeout after the lead shrunk to 11 he saw what was coming. To me the biggest fault was they wanted to eat clock and became a perimeter shooting team ignoring the paint.

Give Dallas a lot of kudos they seized the opportunity.

The one thing that drives me crazy is all these so called "experts" red boarding this morning. I give props when the game is being called not a few hours after when you can think rationally about what your going to say. ESPN radio is the biggest offenders imo. One guy said Bosch would be the fourth option to defend Dirk, bet he didn't say that during the timeout. How some of these guys are even hired makes me smack my head.

I said in another thread that Dallas matches up well against Miami. I rate this series dead even,maybe very slight advantage toward dallas. I believe Dallas has a better bench. Miami with better starters. If Dallas doesn't turn the ball over so much they win by 15.

OTM Al
06-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I think Miami learned something last night. Don't expect to see that again.

magwell
06-05-2011, 11:43 PM
WOW !! Heat got lucky .....this could all be over if they didn't collapse in game 2 .....:cool:

maddog42
06-06-2011, 01:15 AM
WOW !! Heat got lucky .....this could all be over if they didn't collapse in game 2 .....:cool:
This is one good series. Maybe even a classic. How many Nba finals have had this much talent in the last 10 years? Except for Kidd guarding Wade, Dallas matches up pretty good.

Zippy Chippy
06-06-2011, 08:07 AM
This is one good series. Maybe even a classic. How many Nba finals have had this much talent in the last 10 years? Except for Kidd guarding Wade, Dallas matches up pretty good.

Nowitski is the best player on the floor. Wade showed that he's the main Guy in Miami. Lebron riding his coat tails. I wanted Dallas to shoot a 3 at the end.

cj's dad
06-06-2011, 08:09 AM
These last several series - OKC/Mavs-Heat/Bulls and now the final have renewed my interest in the NBA after many years of :sleeping:

This is starting to remind me of Bird/Magic - Monroe/Frazier and even the Wilt/Russell match-ups.

Good stuff.

cj's dad
06-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Who can really stop Wade ?

magwell
06-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Now they blow 9 pt lead in crunch time, heat didn't deserve to win, now its a 3 game series, this was sickening {if your a Heat fan}....:confused:

dav4463
06-08-2011, 01:27 AM
I like the Heat's chances of winning two of three, especially with two of them at home.

I figured Dallas would win at least one at home anyway.

Expect Miami to take game five and wrap it up at home.

cj
06-08-2011, 01:46 AM
I think it is painfully obvious why Lebron sought out other stars to play with to try to win a title.

Canarsie
06-08-2011, 08:18 AM
The MVP of yesterdays game was Tyson Chandler. It won't show up in the box score but he was awesome in the paint and provided tons of energy. Miami looked so bad in the fourth quarter I don't think they could have beaten my team growing up in the schoolyard.

The big winner of last nights game was ABC which should see record ratings for Sunday nights game. The NBA is getting lots of positive press I'm sure their happy about it.

Wonder how many times I'll read good guy (Nowitzki) vs. bad guy (James) in the next three days?

slew101
06-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Dallas could easily have been swept in this series. When you give a hungry team like that life, with a superstar player, you're playing with fire. I'd expect a Dallas win on Thursday, then they'll have to win one in Miami.

One NBA rule question if anyone knows. Didn't the rule used to be when a team calls TO and advances to midcourt, they couldn't inbounds the ball in the backcourt? I don't recall teams doing that until recently?

cj
06-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Dallas could easily have been swept in this series. When you give a hungry team like that life, with a superstar player, you're playing with fire. I'd expect a Dallas win on Thursday, then they'll have to win one in Miami.

One NBA rule question if anyone knows. Didn't the rule used to be when a team calls TO and advances to midcourt, they couldn't inbounds the ball in the backcourt? I don't recall teams doing that until recently?

Yes, it was changed, but I don't remember when.

PhantomOnTour
06-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I wish the Steelers could call a time out and have the refs advance the ball to midfield for them....WTF kinda rule is that???
We could have used it on that last possession in the Super Bowl :lol:

cj's dad
06-08-2011, 12:36 PM
I wish the Steelers could call a time out and have the refs advance the ball to midfield for them....WTF kinda rule is that???
We could have used it on that last possession in the Super Bowl :lol:

Stop already with the excuses !

cj's dad
06-08-2011, 12:39 PM
In Sundays game on the last play the Mavs called time out and the ball was inbounded well inside the half-court line, near to, if not exactly even with the free throw line. So when did that change ?

cj
06-08-2011, 12:46 PM
In Sundays game on the last play the Mavs called time out and the ball was inbounded well inside the half-court line, near to, if not exactly even with the free throw line. So when did that change ?

It can be inbounded anywhere now, where formerly it had to be into the frontcourt.

Canarsie
06-08-2011, 02:54 PM
2000-01

After a change of possession in the last two minutes of regulation or any overtime period, the offensive team can call a regular or 20-second timeout and advance the ball to midcourt. The team has the option of inbounding the ball in the frontcourt or backcourt. If it passes into the backcourt, the 10-second rule applies.

Previously teams could advance the ball only by calling a regular timeout and had to inbound the ball into the frontcourt.

cj's dad
06-08-2011, 06:23 PM
I phrased it wrong. The person doing the inbounding was well inside the half-court line. He was nearly or exactlly at the foul line as opposed to inbounding the ball from half court.

It can be inbounded anywhere now, where formerly it had to be into the frontcourt.

cj
06-08-2011, 06:36 PM
2000-01

After a change of possession in the last two minutes of regulation or any overtime period, the offensive team can call a regular or 20-second timeout and advance the ball to midcourt. The team has the option of inbounding the ball in the frontcourt or backcourt. If it passes into the backcourt, the 10-second rule applies.

Previously teams could advance the ball only by calling a regular timeout and had to inbound the ball into the frontcourt.

...and now the 10 second rule is 8 seconds.

Pace Cap'n
06-08-2011, 11:57 PM
The Dallas guy who took the pass in the backcourt was careful to let the ball bounce before grabbing it. The announcers said if he had caught the pass on the fly, it would have been a backcourt violation.

Talk about a heads-up play.

raybo
06-09-2011, 08:22 AM

Well, I don't watch much basketball anymore, especially the pros, but way back when I was playing HS bb, in this situation, after a time out and the ball being advanced inside the front court, the ball could be inbounded to any position on the court.

raybo
06-09-2011, 08:24 AM
The Dallas guy who took the pass in the backcourt was careful to let the ball bounce before grabbing it. The announcers said if he had caught the pass on the fly, it would have been a backcourt violation.

Letting the ball bounce should have no affect on receiving the ball in the back court, unless the rules have changed.

Letting the ball bounce affects the clock. The clock doesn't start until the ball is touched by a player.

cj
06-09-2011, 09:58 AM

The announcers were actually wrong. Durant did the same exact thing in the Denver series, he caught it in the frontcourt and his momentum carried him into the backcourt. At first they blew the whistle for a violation, but they huddled and correctly reversed the call. You can't get a backcourt violation until you establish possession in the frontcourt.

magwell
06-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Was a great game.....Heat have "back to the wall" we will see what they are made of now.

dav4463
06-10-2011, 01:31 AM
LeBron is one of the weakest "clutch" players I've ever seen! Why would someone with his size and ability continue to settle for long jumpers when he could drive to the basket and either score or get fouled? No one can guard him when he decides to go strong to the basket.

cj's dad
06-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Because it's a huge jump from high-school to the NBA. Lack of late game pressure experience.

Maybe he has not yet learned how to "win" at this level in crunch time.

sonnyp
06-10-2011, 06:42 PM
always thought d-wade had some class. looks like lebron is wearing off on him.

wonder if they think they're real funny now ?

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6648286

raybo
06-10-2011, 09:57 PM

Yeah, well I wasn't a Heat fan anyway. Let them pull that crap, it'll only help the Mavs.

It was childish and irresponsible for them to slight, arguably, the best all around player in the game, a 7' guy who can play defense, get out on the break, post up, drive the lane, or the baseline, handle the ball pretty well, and shoot lights out from anywhere on the court.

Bad mistake, IMO.

slew101
06-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Hope Dallas can finish them off on Sunday.

Canarsie
06-11-2011, 08:28 AM
I have no rooting interest in this series but watch how quickly this thread dies if the Heat wins the next two games. The Lakers were in the same position last year and were even trailing in the second half before going on a run and closing out the Celtics.

Sort of reminds me when my beloved Red Sox were killing the Yankees head to head in 2009. Turns out the evil empire won the world series nobody brought up the regular season after that.

maddog42
06-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Yeah, well I wasn't a Heat fan anyway. Let them pull that crap, it'll only help the Mavs.

It was childish and irresponsible for them to slight, arguably, the best all around player in the game, a 7' guy who can play defense, get out on the break, post up, drive the lane, or the baseline, handle the ball pretty well, and shoot lights out from anywhere on the court.

Bad mistake, IMO.

Play Defense ? Well your post is very accurate except for that part. I love Nowitzki, but I have a few problems with his defense. He is OK at best and terrible at worst. He has improved.

ElKabong
06-11-2011, 10:24 AM

You sure they weren't choking instead of coughing......Did they say in that clip "Gee the pressure sure is high here..... ESPN is bagging on us saying we can't close out a soft Maverick team in 5 games, whose superstar plays horrible defense....choke choke". :)

I'm with Canarsie....I think the heat takes games 6 and 7 (they should, anyway) and all this is forgotten for the most part....If the heat loses, what a joke it'll be. That clip will be played for the next 12 months, people will laugh at wade and james and the entire miami heat organization for a long time

dav4463
06-12-2011, 01:59 AM
This is tough for me. I can't stand Lebron James. I can't stand Mark Cuban winning a title even more! I watch it only because I like basketball.

raybo
06-12-2011, 03:51 PM
This is tough for me. I can't stand Lebron James. I can't stand Mark Cuban winning a title even more! I watch it only because I like basketball.

I agree with you about Cuban, but I have to say 1 thing about him, he wasn't afraid to spend the money to get some good players.

PhantomOnTour
06-12-2011, 10:46 PM
To answer the original question...

The Dallas Mavericks

Rookies
06-12-2011, 10:47 PM
WOW!

I guess you need to grab the first before you go on to 4, 5 or 6.

Right, Lebron ?:lol:

The City of Cleveland will be drunk tonight...:D

Relwob Owner
06-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Kudos to CJ.....a few months ago, he pointed out this was a different Mavericks team than years past and he was right.

magwell
06-12-2011, 10:50 PM
The best TEAM won.......congrats to Dallas

ElKabong
06-12-2011, 11:05 PM
"We'll always have the celebration after the Eastern conference semi finals, together."

-Lebron says longingly to Wade, tears in eyes.

cj
06-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Kudos to CJ.....a few months ago, he pointed out this was a different Mavericks team than years past and he was right.

I was a big fan of them this series, that is for sure. The Vanishing Lebron was brilliant again tonight.

raybo
06-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Been waiting a long time for this!

Congrats, Mavs!!

maddog42
06-12-2011, 11:34 PM
I was a big fan of them this series, that is for sure. The Vanishing Lebron was brilliant again tonight.

Kidd Nowitzki and Chandler, I think they have 40 years of NBA experience between them, really DESERVE this trophy. I became a Chandler fan when he was with the Hornets. I became a Dallas Fan when Najera was with them. I admire tough players like Najera and Chandler. Those guys are scrappers and can play D. The Dallas Zone caused teams a lot of problems. They don't win without Good Defense.

dav4463
06-13-2011, 01:00 AM
I don't mean to rain on the Dallas parade but, I don't think the NBA is that great anymore since the rule changes that took away defense.

The three point shot is the great equalizer. When J.J.Barrea can be one of the most dangerous guys on the court (no offense to J.J. but he is not near the talent of a D.Wade), something is wrong.

The three point shot makes it very possible for weaker teams (or players) to get hot and win.

Give credit to the Mavs though. They can shoot. LeBron played scared. The Heat have no pure shooters and the zone defense takes away any driving to the hole.

Dunks aren't exciting anymore....it's all about the 3!

JJ is now greater than Dr.J !

It won't be long before a woman will be playing and succeeding in the NBA. Some of those WNBA players can shoot! Now with all the three point shooting and touch fouls....why not? Sign a girl who can shoot and sell more tickets!

slew101
06-13-2011, 01:05 AM
I know you're joking.

It won't be long before a woman will be playing and succeeding in the NBA. Some of those WNBA players can shoot! Now with all the three point shooting and touch fouls....why not? Sign a girl who can shoot and sell more tickets!

OTM Al
06-13-2011, 06:42 AM
To answer the original question...

The Dallas Mavericks

Or perhaps Miami themselves. If there is a next year, they should be back.

Canarsie
06-13-2011, 08:30 AM
I don't mean to rain on the Dallas parade but, I don't think the NBA is that great anymore since the rule changes that took away defense.

The three point shot is the great equalizer. When J.J.Barrea can be one of the most dangerous guys on the court (no offense to J.J. but he is not near the talent of a D.Wade), something is wrong.

The three point shot makes it very possible for weaker teams (or players) to get hot and win.

Give credit to the Mavs though. They can shoot. LeBron played scared. The Heat have no pure shooters and the zone defense takes away any driving to the hole.

How can you write something like this after the fact and not before? The last time I looked the 3 ball has been around a long time and has only made the game better. Name me a weak team that had a couple of 3 point shooters without STARS at the other positions who ever won a championship? The Suns were probably the closest and they never got a sniff. Dallas played without Butler Miami would have had a bigger problem if he was in the lineup. Most guys who can shoot the three ball aren't really great defenders so it equals out.

Again I disagree about the three. That shot usually comes off a long rebound of a missed defensive assignment. Not too many player shoot it with someone in their face unless the shot clock is winding down.

One more thing about the three. If it wasn't in play NBA ratings would have declined at least 25%. People stay around longer because they know a larger deficit can be made up quicker.

As for the dunk at one time it brought oohs and ahs. But in this day and age almost every pro can do it blindfolded to most it doesn't mean much.

Canarsie
06-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Congrats to the Mavs as they deserve it they played well as a team.

My take on game 6 for what it's worth.

If Lebron can't post up Barea and the best he could do is get a charge he should have taken a seat on the bench. That summed up the effort in one play.

I haven't looked at the box but I bet it's close between Dallas's 3 point shots and the Heat from the foul line. You just can't miss so many free points when you get the opportunity.

Lebrons comments after the game were tasteless he will be even more of a villain next year. Physiologically this will have to wear on him.

Kudos to anyone who picked the Mavs before the playoffs started and didn't jump on the bandwagon late.

Marc Jackson is going to be a great coach I really think his players will listen and respect him. He's a pleasure on the air and will be missed.

Magic Johnson was very insightful he would be a great replacement (with training) for MJ but I doubt he wants to do that much traveling.

My two cents.

canleakid
06-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Congrats. to the 2011 nba champs the DALLAS MAVS :)

cj
06-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Lebrons comments after the game were tasteless he will be even more of a villain next year. Physiologically this will have to wear on him.

Lebron made an ass of himself again.

slew101
06-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Check the Miami Herald full-page Macy's ad celebrating the Heat's NBA title in Monday's newspaper.

Classic.

dav4463
06-13-2011, 04:14 PM
How can you write something like this after the fact and not before? The last time I looked the 3 ball has been around a long time and has only made the game better. Name me a weak team that had a couple of 3 point shooters without STARS at the other positions who ever won a championship? The Suns were probably the closest and they never got a sniff. Dallas played without Butler Miami would have had a bigger problem if he was in the lineup. Most guys who can shoot the three ball aren't really great defenders so it equals out.

Again I disagree about the three. That shot usually comes off a long rebound of a missed defensive assignment. Not too many player shoot it with someone in their face unless the shot clock is winding down.

One more thing about the three. If it wasn't in play NBA ratings would have declined at least 25%. People stay around longer because they know a larger deficit can be made up quicker.

As for the dunk at one time it brought oohs and ahs. But in this day and age almost every pro can do it blindfolded to most it doesn't mean much.

I am joking! :D I am an admitted Maverick hater!

ElKabong
06-13-2011, 11:34 PM
NOW we know why Lebron James never went to college. He doesn't show up for Finals

ElKabong
06-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Check the Miami Herald full-page Macy's ad celebrating the Heat's NBA title in Monday's newspaper.

Classic.

Dewey Defeats Truman!

ElKabong
06-13-2011, 11:49 PM

Actually I agree with this...the 3 pointer has changed the game, but there are some of us out here that don't enjoy it. To each their own.

IMO, the 3 point line has been a curse for the little mavs over the years, not an ally....that team is built around the jump shot....go cold, you're out of a series. If they'd attack the rim more (you know the rest)

This is the first yr I can recall where the mavs have shot well in the 4th qtr in every series of a yrs playoffs. Jason Terry was called out by Dirk after game 2 for a reason....he's been a choker. Terry catches fire after that comment by Dirk....don't think for a moment that Dirk never mentioned Terry's choke jobs to JET in the locker room....Dirk doesn't drop bombs like that on teammates on a whim.

Dallas caught fire at the right time in the finals......before the finals they caught a so-so Portland team, a totally disinterested Lakers team, and a young inexperienced team in OKC.....Congrats to the mavs, but the stars sure had to line up right for this to come about.......but they did, and congrats.