PDA

View Full Version : To Honor and Serve or Dialed In?

tribecaagent
03-07-2011, 04:14 PM
We all know these two ran horrible.

Which one has a better shot at winning the KY Derby?

NTamm1215
03-07-2011, 04:24 PM
We all know these two ran horrible.

Which one has a better shot at winning the KY Derby?

Did Dialed In really run "horrible"?

Facing elders, and a sharp horse in his stablemate Equestrio, at 9fs in his 3rd career start in a race with no pace, I think he ran well. Going into yesterday I was interested to see how he'd react in the face of a negative pace setup and he did fine. The pace in the Derby is generally quite conducive to late runners.

redshift1
03-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Interesting question, I'm guessing most would like Dialed In's chances since the pace should be hot. THAS needs a big improvement to be in the running while Dialed In needs only to run his race to be a serious Derby threat.

tribecaagent
03-07-2011, 04:41 PM

Facing elders, and a sharp horse in his stablemate Equestrio, at 9fs in his 3rd career start in a race with no pace, I think he ran well. Going into yesterday I was interested to see how he'd react in the face of a negative pace setup and he did fine. The pace in the Derby is generally quite conducive to late runners.

Dialed In ran good? C'mon man. He was 1/5!

I'm sorry, he was supposed to win and didn't.

Striker
03-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Think the connections got what they wanted in this race out of Dialed In. First race going to 2 turns, they didn't have to ship to race him, and right spacing of a race before the Florida Derby. With To Honor and Serve, it is pretty hard to come off a layoff of 3 months and go 9 furlongs right off the bat in a Grade 2 Stakes race.

NTamm1215
03-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Dialed In ran good? C'mon man. He was 1/5!

I'm sorry, he was supposed to win and didn't.

Judging races based on off odds and not dynamics is a quick way to losing a lot of money betting on horse racing.

tribecaagent
03-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Got what they wanted?....ha! C'mon Striker.

Nick & LaPenta would've got what they wanted if DL won by 5!

This was a race written for DL...and just to make it go, Zito entered the eventual winner.

As a friend of mine said, "for an allowance horse it wasn't bad, for a derby horse...."

Robert Fischer
03-07-2011, 07:16 PM

zito couldn't have asked for a better race other than Dialed In showing some super-talent.
he got the ideal training in terms of getting a first time breaking with the pack, getting a first time of significant running between horses, getting a first time of changing leads properly. 3 of the main things he had never done and he pretty much aced them. Maybe a little hesitation entering the stretch due to the horse on his outside, and also leparoux wasn't holding position and they lost a little ground at one point.

he also went 9f + a strong gallop for the first time. = passed
(did anyone watch the replays? i haven't even heard the gallop out mentioned and it was a key element. Dialed in separated and went much farther than the others, Equestrio was actually pulled up after the wire.)

derby quality run in the lane = passed

is the horse a superstar?
no. not unless he develops more. but he's 3 for 3 now in running "his race". It's getting to the point that you start to expect him to run his race circumstances permitting.
He's a contender who could do very well with certain scenarios, and appears to have room to grow and peak a little more. Still isn't proven over a tough classic distance, but he will win the Florida Derby if the race collapses.

zito got everything he wanted, even the purse. Maybe with the exception of a superhorse effort. All he got was an ideally executed training performance.

woodtoo
03-07-2011, 07:37 PM
You my friend,have it dialed in.:ThmbUp:

psst don't tell anyone else

joanied
03-07-2011, 08:58 PM
You my friend,have it dialed in.:ThmbUp:

psst don't tell anyone else

Ditto:ThmbUp: ...and, may I add, he just got beat...let them knock the horse and the race...I liked what I saw and he's still high on my early Derby list...

mum is the word;)

ManeMediaMogul
03-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Dialed In is a late running sprinter who won't get a mile and a quarter in a taxi cab.

To Honor and Serve came up short after a long layoff. He has much more upside.

joanied
03-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Dialed In is a late running sprinter who won't get a mile and a quarter in a taxi cab.

To Honor and Serve came up short after a long layoff. He has much more upside.

I agree with To Honor and Serve having more 'upside'...but I can't count out Dialed In just yet!