PDA

View Full Version : Hawthorne

netbet
03-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Hi all,

So, I see that Hawthorne is cancelled for tomorrow (3/8) due to lack of entries?
Sad.

Patrick

Stillriledup
03-07-2011, 04:20 PM
They're too busy trying to give the shaft to the bettors by putting 11 or 12 horses in their penta races. I wanted to bet their penta carryover the other day, but the field was too big.

Its really ok if you card 8 horses in a penta race...that will actually give some people a chance to hit the thing without spending 6,720 dollars to box 8 horses.

Striker
03-07-2011, 04:28 PM
IMO they should go to a 3 day racing week anyways.

BIG49010
03-07-2011, 05:02 PM
They should cancel until Arlington opens, and consolidate the money into all those purses, similar to Monmouth.

BlueShoe
03-07-2011, 06:50 PM
They should cancel until Arlington opens
The other way around. Cancel Arlington and give the dates to Hawthorne and let them race straight through until fall. Hawthorne is dirt, Arlington is plastic.

Valuist
03-07-2011, 09:07 PM
The other way around. Cancel Arlington and give the dates to Hawthorne and let them race straight through until fall. Hawthorne is dirt, Arlington is plastic.

Have a mixed meet. Run all the grass races at Arlington and dirt races at Hawthorne.

Unfortunately we don't have Sportsmans anymore. Spt was a great track when it was 5f . A rider falls and gets trampled and killed, Lukas makes an off the cuff comment, and they change the track to 7f. It never recovered.

BIG49010
03-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Have a mixed meet. Run all the grass races at Arlington and dirt races at Hawthorne.

Unfortunately we don't have Sportsmans anymore. Spt was a great track when it was 5f . A rider falls and gets trampled and killed, Lukas makes an off the cuff comment, and they change the track to 7f. It never recovered.

Cars ruined sportsman's, not the 7/8's. When they spent all that money to get Indy cars, and put all the wall and grandstands they lost the charm of the place.

Valuist
03-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Cars ruined sportsman's, not the 7/8's. When they spent all that money to get Indy cars, and put all the wall and grandstands they lost the charm of the place.

Auto racing was the FINAL nail in the coffin. The track went downhill as soon as they went from 5/8ths to 7 furlongs. They didn't change the turns; just made 2 extremely long stretches. The irony was that apprentice would've been killed regardless of the track. The spill didn't happen on the turn and he was trampled.

BIG49010
03-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Been there, done that the years Arlington was closed. Nothing like the smell of the Stickney waste treatment plant in August.:bang:

BIG49010
03-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Auto racing was the FINAL nail in the coffin. The track went downhill as soon as they went from 5/8ths to 7 furlongs. They didn't change the turns; just made 2 extremely long stretches. The irony was that apprentice would've been killed regardless of the track. The spill didn't happen on the turn and he was trampled.

It was 7/8ths for quite a few years, before they put in the cars. The meet was always one of my favorite's until they changed the grandstands and put up the walls for cars. They had good purses for the fields they use to get, and I always did quite well. Hawthorne has always been a dump, in my opinion. After it burned, and they put up that excuse for a track, I never cared for it. I also had several horses breakdown on that rock hard track.

Irish Boy
03-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Hawthorne isn't the scummiest place in America, but if you take out the peep shows and landfills it would probably make the top five.