PDA

View Full Version : advice on trip to Oaklawn

amyloo2
03-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Heading to Oaklawn next Saturday and need advice. Only been to one horse track ever, somehow ended up at Woodbine, so I need any advice about seating, parking betting that track etc. Also would you stay 2 days at Oaklawn or on Sunday go to Delta Downs before heading to Houston for 6 month checkup at MD Anderson on Monday. Two days of fun before two days of mental torture.
Thanks

Pace Cap'n
03-06-2011, 11:07 PM
"Shelby" had a similar question a couple of years ago and got quite a few responses...

www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56126 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56126)

Welcome to be board!

garyscpa
03-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Looks like Delta Downs has a 3:05 pm card scheduled on Sunday, March 13.

You'd better check for hotel reservations at Delta if you plan to go there. The hotel costs a lot more if you don't have comp points built up. Also, there are no hotels very close to there and they may be booked already.

Looks like Sam Houston is has a 5:00 pm card the same day, so there's another option for you.

garyscpa
03-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Oh, and the crowds at Delta are nothing like the crowds at Oaklawn. Most people are there to play the slots.

Mineshaft
03-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Delta and Oaklawn are 2 different animals..

Grits
03-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Have fun at Oaklawn, its a fine place. Enjoy the racing.

Most of all, much good luck with your checkup at M.D.Anderson!!!

Bruddah
03-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Have fun at Oaklawn, its a fine place. Enjoy the racing.

Most of all, much good luck with your checkup at M.D.Anderson!!!

May God smile and protect you in all your travels and locations. You will enjoy the racing at both tracks.

God Bless

amyloo2
03-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the advice and well wishes. Learned alot from yall and the forum that shelby had started. Looking forward to the trip.

Learned Hand35
03-08-2011, 01:09 AM
Adding, updating, or reiterating a few things from the other thread.

Hot Springs in general is not what I would call an idyllic town. It has has some fun things to do and some pretty areas, but it also has a gritty feel (and look) in most places. Remember, the rich and famous of their day would vacation in HS, but HS was also pretty much owned by the most famous prohibtion era gangsters at the height of their power. I don't think that underlying seediness can ever be cleansed. That being said, the wife and I go there often, even though it isn't a place in which I would choose to live.

1. Parking: We usually park at the Best Western across from the track. They usually charge between 5 and 15 dollars depending on what they expect the crowds to be. This weekend I suspect it will be ten dollars if the past is any indication. Sounds a bit steep, but it is almost directly across from the track and easy to get out of after the last race. The back of the lot opens on to side streets which helps in avoidance of the traffic on Central Avenue. Also, they transport you in a golf cart back and forth from your car if you don't feel like walking.

2. Accomodations: The Arlington. People either love it or hate it. My wife and I love staying there. It is like stepping back in time. If you like the feeling of history and the spirits of those that stayed there before you so thick you can almost chew on it, it might be for you. If you are into shiny, new, and modern, it would probably not be your cup of tea. Still there was a reason that the rich and famous of their day stayed there including Presidents, movie stars, and gangsters. (I still want to know why they refuse to rent Capone's old suite to anyone.) At the minimum go to the Arlington, look around, and have a drink on the veranda.

3. Dinner: Rolando's is excellent and reasonably priced. It is a little past the Arlington on the left side of Central Avenue. Central Avenue Fusion is pricey but worth every damn penny. Ate there a few weeks ago, and it was one of the best meals I have had in quite awhile. It too is down past the Arlington, but farther out and on the right as you are headed out of town on Central Ave.

4. At the track:

a. Have a corned beef. Have never been a corned beef fan in general, but I love them at OP.

b. Tellers: You should never have to wait in a long line for a teller other than perhaps AR Derby day. There are three levels at OP and each level fills up in order. First floor is always busy, but explore the upper levels and you should find plenty of areas with open tellers or very little wait time.

All I have to add for now, but if you have other questions or need other suggestions let me know.

Miss Disco
04-03-2011, 09:45 PM
I am making my annual trip to OP this week. Booked at the Arlington Thursday-sun. if any of y'all are around, It would be nice to meet you. No plans, just a break after business in the state.I believe the weather will be great. :3: