PDA

View Full Version : Question for Trainers

PICSIX
03-06-2011, 10:05 AM
In Oaklawn's 5th Race the #4 (Ready to Thrill) raced @ 1 1/8 on Feb. 25th and has a posted work of 5 furlongs (1:01.80) on Feb. 26th. My question, would you interpret this as a good sign? Removing lactic acid, etc. more quickly the day following a race?

Thanks for your replies,

Mike

lamboguy
03-06-2011, 10:09 AM
In Oaklawn's 4th Race the #4 (Ready to Thrill) raced @ 1 1/8 on Feb. 25th and has a posted work of 5 furlongs (1:01.80) on Feb. 26th. My question, would you interpret this as a good sign? Removing lactic acid, etc. more quickly the day following a race?

Thanks for your replies,

Mikeusually you walk a horse for at least 3 days after a race. this workout sounds like some type of a mistake by the person entering in the work. the clocker might have mixed up the names. what i would do is call oaklawn clocker to explain what happened.

PICSIX
03-06-2011, 10:17 AM
usually you walk a horse for at least 3 days after a race. this workout sounds like some type of a mistake by the person entering in the work. the clocker might have mixed up the names. what i would do is call oaklawn clocker to explain what happened.

I was wondering if that might be the case. Thanks, by the way it is the 5th race, not the 4th.

Mike

lamboguy
03-06-2011, 10:19 AM
horse is in today's 5th race.

if by chance that is real, then i would say it is a good thing. i am still going to call the clocker a little later to find out.

the trainer is excellent so i wouldn't worry about what he does to much.

PICSIX
03-06-2011, 10:32 AM
horse is in today's 5th race.

if by chance that is real, then i would say it is a good thing. i am still going to call the clocker a little later to find out.

the trainer is excellent so i wouldn't worry about what he does to much.

In the NFL they used to not practice the day after a game thinking the players needed to relax, but scientific research has shown that it is better to have a sufficient workout the following day. I would assume this translates to horses as well? :confused:

PICSIX
03-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Workouts posted at Oaklawn's web-site.

http://www.oaklawn.com/media/uploads/op_workouts__02_26_2011.pdf

lamboguy
03-06-2011, 10:42 AM
In the NFL they used to not practice the day after a game thinking the players needed to relax, but scientific research has shown that it is better to have a sufficient workout the following day. I would assume this translates to horses as well? :confused:
i would have agreed with that for horses 30 years ago. today no, if you see how many drugs they pump into a horse for race prep these days you will understand why they need to walk it off. its a joke, on balance these drugs do the horses no good. i swear they become koo-koo from them drugs. problem is that when you add lassix they do breath better, and when you give them adaquan and bute they feel no pain. i think the game is about whatching horses improve instead of regress. to many of them these days take steps heading backwards.

lamboguy
03-06-2011, 11:20 AM
i called the clocker and they told me to ignore the work, they said it was a mistake. i then asked them if they liked anything in the maiden race and they fluffed me off! :mad:

by the way you are doing some decent picking in that place, just alot of horses everyday

something just came to mind, that a different horse might have worked for that trainer and the clockers called the trainer to find the name of the horse and the trainer gave him the name of the horse that ran the day before. often times trainers don't like the clockers knowing who the horse was. a good clocker will keep notes on the color and other identifying factors on a horse and look at the horse in the paddock to see if that is the real horse or not. i caught a few $80 horses that way years ago in saratoga of all places.

PICSIX
03-06-2011, 11:31 AM
i called the clocker and they told me to ignore the work, they said it was a mistake. i then asked them if they liked anything in the maiden race and they fluffed me off! :mad:

by the way you are doing some decent picking in that place, just alot of horses everyday

something just came to mind, that a different horse might have worked for that trainer and the clockers called the trainer to find the name of the horse and the trainer gave him the name of the horse that ran the day before. often times trainers don't like the clockers knowing who the horse was. a good clocker will keep notes on the color and other identifying factors on a horse and look at the horse in the paddock to see if that is the real horse or not. i caught a few $80 horses that way years ago in saratoga of all places.

Thanks for the info. and good luck to you. :ThmbUp:

Mike

lamboguy
03-06-2011, 11:54 AM
here's what to do, look for a horse that this trainer has that is a first time starter that is brown and just bet it!

Edward DeVere
03-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Doesn't Carl Nafzger gallop (not work) the day after a race? Maybe it's just a jog, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't just walk.

BIG49010
03-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Doesn't Carl Nafzger gallop (not work) the day after a race? Maybe it's just a jog, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't just walk.

He might, Carl also has a sand box that he lets horses roll around in. He has some very different methods.

lamboguy
03-07-2011, 08:44 AM
He might, Carl also has a sand box that he lets horses roll around in. He has some very different methods.
a roundpen full of river sand is always great. it helps to build up the rear ends of horses. i like that and i like galloping up and down hills for 45 minutes at a time. impossible to do once you are on the track though..

as far as naftsger working day after the race, i highly doubt if he can do that these days with all the drugs they stick in those horses. i don't know what he does though, he knows how to take care of a horse and i highly doubt that he does a crazy race prep now like everyone else does.