PDA

View Full Version : This Is Killing Me

Pell Mell
03-04-2011, 07:13 AM
I remember being really pissed many years ago at the old Philly Park or whatever it was called 40-50 yrs ago. There was an outfit owned by Dan Lassiter and trained by David Vance that used a jock named Jorge Tejara or something like that. It seemed everytime I had a good long shot I was getting beat by this stable and it seemed like they had a horse in every race.

But this was basically an isolated instance back then. There wern't many trainers around that totally dominated a meet, at least I don't recall many. Today it seems that no matter where I bet there's hot shots that have big stables and they are the ones to beat in the majority of races.

And if you do manage to beat them or run 2nd the exactas are kind of cheap when your dealing with even money shots all the time. I can remember getting lots of 100-200/1 exactas when I had a good 20/1 shot but now a days these are as scarce as beauty on the Jerry Springer show.

What brought about this rant is that I got nailed again last night with a 35/1 shot. Beat by an even money horse and only got a $100. ex. I know you may say that's a fair price with an even money horse on top but that's not my point. My point is that it seems like every time I get a good long one I have to deal with an odds on horse. I just have never seen so many low odds horses in my whole 60+ years at the track.

I guess I'm just venting and have to learn to live with it but it sure has gotten tough to make a buck.:ThmbDown:

lamboguy
03-04-2011, 07:20 AM
you are spot on. would suggest you stop playing tricks and stick with straight wagers. trifecta's and super's have turned out to be a complete joke these days. exacta's are no bargain either

joemc44
03-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Philly Park, started out as Keystone race track, before that it was sharing Liberty Bell with the harness racing, I think the Lassiter/Vance combo
came in from Oaklawn Park and cleaned house. spent many an afternoon at Keysone and Garden State Park, when Garden had two 30 day meets, spring and fall. when you just had the dailey double.

A. Pineda
03-04-2011, 11:21 AM
When Potter trained for Lasater they didn't always race short-priced horses. They brought Royal Glint to CA for the National Thoroughbred Championship in 1975, where he went off at 19-1 (and finished second). The following year they returned for the Big Cap, which RG won at 6-1. Tejeira was doing OK in CA, but he went to NJ (I think) to be the contract rider for this stable. Good memories.

Richie
03-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Yes, I feel the same way at Tampa, with that guy Ness, I try to avoid any race he's in

curious
03-04-2011, 03:18 PM
60+ years at the track? How old are you? 95?

Pell Mell
03-04-2011, 05:28 PM
60+ years at the track? How old are you? 95?

Not quite, I started at 16.;)

curious
03-04-2011, 05:45 PM
I have pretty good luck finding entrants that are 10-1 or higher odds. To find them I have to look at every race and figure out that these odds are just wrong. I can't say if finding these horses is easier or harder than before because I am very young, 53, and have only been doing this a couple of years.

I don't care if the horse wins, I just want them to hit the board. I bet X to win, 2X to place, and 4X to show.

I have a list of very strong horses that any time I see one of them at odds greater than or equal to 10-1 I jump all over them. Doesn't happen every day but when it does it is money in the bank.

I am beginning to think that the best way to play this game is to look at all the horses as they start their racing career and keep stats on them so that you know what to expect from them. In the list that I have I see some of these horses sometimes at 12-1, 15-1 and I am like "WHAT????". I am no horse expert, I don't know how to cap, I am a computer and math whiz.

Someone on here posted the other day that some nag was 0-15 in terms of hitting the board, and in the race they mentioned the nag came in dead last. Not sure why the owner even entered this nag in the race.

Except for this list that I got from someone else, I don't even look at the horse's names, I look at the odds and what the odds have done since the race was first posted.

Anyway, good luck with your picks.

thaskalos
03-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I have pretty good luck finding entrants that are 10-1 or higher odds. To find them I have to look at every race and figure out that these odds are just wrong. I can't say if finding these horses is easier or harder than before because I am very young, 53, and have only been doing this a couple of years.

I don't care if the horse wins, I just want them to hit the board. I bet X to win, 2X to place, and 4X to show.

I have a list of very strong horses that any time I see one of them at odds greater than or equal to 10-1 I jump all over them. Doesn't happen every day but when it does it is money in the bank.

I am beginning to think that the best way to play this game is to look at all the horses as they start their racing career and keep stats on them so that you know what to expect from them. In the list that I have I see some of these horses sometimes at 12-1, 15-1 and I am like "WHAT????". I am no horse expert, I don't know how to cap, I am a computer and math whiz.

Someone on here posted the other day that some nag was 0-15 in terms of hitting the board, and in the race they mentioned the nag came in dead last. Not sure why the owner even entered this nag in the race.

Except for this list that I got from someone else, I don't even look at the horse's names, I look at the odds and what the odds have done since the race was first posted.

Anyway, good luck with your picks.Correct me if I am wrong...but are you saying that - eventhough you don't know how to handicap - when you spot contenders at odds of 10-1 or higher...they are "money in the bank"?

curious
03-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Correct me if I am wrong...but are you saying that - eventhough you don't know how to handicap - when you spot contenders at odds of 10-1 or higher...they are "money in the bank"?

I look at each race. I look at the entrants that are >= 10-1. Then I look up how they have raced lately. If several of the horses have been good lately then I take one with the highest odds.

These win more than they lose, money wise. But, these are not the ones that are money in the bank.

I have a list of horses that was sent to me by someone that I trust. This person also gave me instructions that if I ever see any of these horses at 10-1 or higher to jump all over them. Those horses are definitely money in the bank at high odds. I can send you the list if you want.

Brogan
03-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed, Kelso, Citation, Whirlaway...

:D