PDA

View Full Version : Racing news websites

open_question
03-03-2011, 03:16 PM
The websites for the 3 major horse racing news outlets are problematic.

Blood-Horse's site automatically and frequently refreshes itself. I've been watching a stakes replay when the dang thing "refreshed" itself and cut off my race, making me start all over. I've been reading a headline when the site refreshed itself and blinked away from my headline, making me begin again to relocate the headline.

DRF's site opens with that large sequenced-image news headline box on the left and an even larger promotion of its own PPs on the right. The page is time-consuming to load, and then it forces me to put up with the self-promotions before I can scroll down to get the headlines and news I want.

T Times' site is the best of the three, but only marginally, because that black-print pre-background has to load before viewers are taken to the actual news headlines. Why? And then, every time you navigate away from any of the site's pages, that dang advertisement for the digital edition pops up and has to be closed. So irritating.

I don't even include NTRA's site in the top group anymore. It's just a place for homers, with redundant and noncontroversial headlines. For instance, I didn't see a peep on it about the recent brouhaha between Calder Race Course and Gulfstream Park. I guess it's "no news but good news" at NTRA. Lame and misleading.

Equidaily is my favorite website for horse racing news. The page loads quickly and is replete with timely stories. So what if the site has no bells and whistles? Give me quick, easy, and newsy, and I'm a happy race follower.

Opinions?

Marc At DRF
03-03-2011, 04:13 PM
We offer our news diced and sliced in a lot of different formats, and if you're a serious "just the news" kinda guy, let me suggest bookmarking this page, instead of our homepage:
http://www.drf.com/news/all-news

I imagine it's not perfect for you, but I also think you'll prefer it to the homepage.

There are a number of other options, but that one might be best for you.

turfnsport
03-03-2011, 04:18 PM
I read them all but start at DRF.com and end there...by far the best.

Worst is Paulick Report.

open_question
03-03-2011, 04:29 PM
We offer our news diced and sliced in a lot of different formats, and if you're a serious "just the news" kinda guy, let me suggest bookmarking this page, instead of our homepage:
http://www.drf.com/news/all-news

I imagine it's not perfect for you, but I also think you'll prefer it to the homepage.

There are a number of other options, but that one might be best for you.

Thanks. The link is bookmarked :cool:

netbet
03-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Although I start most times at DRF.com and Bloodhorse.com, I do like to visit http://www.albanylaw.edu/racing/racing.php you do need to sign up but it is free.

Patrick

Cardus
03-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I wondered how many posts in before someone invoked the Paulick Report.

Ray Paulick
03-03-2011, 07:34 PM
I read them all but start at DRF.com and end there...by far the best.

Worst is Paulick Report.

Ouch.

I could be biased, but I hardly think Paulick Report is the worst. But you might be biased, too.

PaceAdvantage
03-03-2011, 07:49 PM
I wondered how many posts in before someone invoked the Paulick Report.Really? Never crossed my mind until your post. Then again, I'm half falling asleep while surfing on the couch.... :lol:

Quesmark
03-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Many at PA probably know this already,but for a quick summary of racing related news stories and opinions from around the world it'd be hard to top Equidaily.

http://www.equidaily.com/

The site loads fast,is streamlined,and the headlines link directly to the original source.

Tom
03-03-2011, 10:18 PM
I like ED because they do not have all that crappy stuff on it - just words and a link.

DRF is worst for me because stuff you are looking for in not the focus of the page. Who did their layout, Picasso?:D

Vinman
03-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Many at PA probably know this already,but for a quick summary of racing related news stories and opinions from around the world it'd be hard to top Equidaily.

http://www.equidaily.com/

The site loads fast,is streamlined,and the headlines link directly to the original source.

Equidaily rocks. Especially love the seemingly endless variety of news & feature sources on a wide range of racing topics. Many times I've read a really good article there and said to myself "I never would have found this anywhere else".

Vinman

turfnsport
03-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Ouch.

I could be biased, but I hardly think Paulick Report is the worst. But you might be biased, too.

If I want news I go to DRF, Bloodhorse, T Times, Handicapping Edge, Equidaily, and then NYRA.com.

That is not bias, just the facts Ray.

Canarsie
03-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Ouch.

The Paulick Report has become my last option (very rare) because he supports higher takeout. Why should I give him hits for something I vehemently oppose.

andicap
03-04-2011, 12:30 PM
The Paulick Report is one of my go-to sites that I have bookmarked, along with Equidaily and Tbred Times as well as DRF sometimes.

Yes, I know Ray is not very popular these days among horseplayers but I like that he presents an alternative view and that he's controversial. You need to read more than one slant on events and from Ray I get the owners/breeders/horsemen's perspective. And unlike many in that crowd, at least Ray considers the views of horseplayers.

Sometimes I agree. Sometimes I don't. (And the comments section of Ray's blogs and news items are very entertaining. There are some very informed and passionate people who "love to hate" Ray, including the infamous Jerry Jam.)

Ray has been following the industry for years and at the Blood-Horse always showed foresight and progressive views over racing's direction. He might sympathize more with the owners/horsemen than with the horseplayers but he's no troglodyte -- he's no fan of the Jockey Club for example.

Do I think he made a grievous mistake characterizing Jeff Platt? Yes I do. But I forgive him. Do I think he took that stand just to please his advertisers? No I don't. I believe Ray is principled.

But Ray is consistent. He's passionate about racing. That's more than I can say about most executives in the industry and shouldn't the horsemen and owners have a strong voice in the media???

The_Knight_Sky
03-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Yes, I know Ray is not very popular these days among horseplayers
but I like that he presents an alternative view and that he's controversial.

http://i55.tinypic.com/35b9v2c.jpg I go there to lay a few.
Apparently a lot of us do also.

And unlike many in that crowd, at least Ray considers the views of horseplayers.

"Considering" is one thing. But at some point Mr. Paulick has to
acknowledge that he wagered on the wrong horse out in California.

andicap
03-04-2011, 01:45 PM
"Considering" is one thing. But at some point Mr. Paulick has to
acknowledge that he wagered on the wrong horse out in California.

As I said, his sympathies lie mainly with horsemen/owners/breeders. I disagree with him on this issue but I like that there's a site that gives me their viewpoint.

And in "considering" us, Ray goes a much longer way than most track execs, horsemen, breeders, etc. But also remember, without enough owners and breeders surviving -- i don't mean prospering, just staying afloat -- the field sizes grow smaller. Their needs must be met too

It's just that he has been a bit blind to horseplayer's needs in Calif. Failed to appreciate that if you pick the player's pockets too much they will come up empty.

Ray, like the CHRB and COTB, believes that players will tire of the boycott and return to Calif. racing. Or that even if wagers don't return to quite their previous levels, the higher takeout will still put more money in their pockets. That is, handles are "elastic" -- you raise prices, revenues fall, but profits increase due to higher margins. It's short-sighted, but tough times call for drastic measures I guess.

That's why horseplayers have to keep the faith and continue to stay away from Calif. tracks.

There are a range of issues I would love to know where Ray stands. (I might have missed those blogs.) including...

1. Are there too many tracks?
2. Are horsemen guaranteed a living at the track?
3. Do we need a national racing czar?

(yes, no and yes)

Tom
03-04-2011, 03:14 PM
You need to read more than one slant on events and from Ray I get the owners/breeders/horsemen's perspective.

When is the last time they cared about our perspective?
I'll pass on caring about theirs. :rolleyes:

The_Knight_Sky
03-04-2011, 04:21 PM
As I said, his sympathies lie mainly with horsemen/owners/breeders.
I disagree with him on this issue but I like that there's a site
that gives me their viewpoint.

I like Mr. Paulick the businessman. He's shrewd without a doubt.
He gave the new layout careful thought and took a stand. ;)
There was no turning back no matter how much everyone whined and dined.

BUT !

I am concerned about the future of the horse racing industry
and despite overwhelming mathematical evidence presented by the experts
posting at PR we have not seen anyone budge.

Some horse racing fans may in the future return to California racing. But they're kidding themselves that one of the highest exotics takeouts in nation is going to sustain the purse structure they've set themselves up for in California.

Handle erosion is a certainty for future meets at these takeout rates.

Furthermore, higher takeouts raises the bar for every novice bettor. Most of us as novices had a realistic chance at breaking even in the flat bet ROI category while learning by participating. Today, the novices get eliminated from their wagering dollars far quicker through these higher takeout rates, thus dooming future growth of the horse racing industry.

Factor in the aging fan base and all marketing efforts towards creating
loyal and proficient customers becomes a herculean task.

No racetrack or horsemens group supported directly (or indirectly) by horse racing customers should be purchasing advertisement space that promotes disdain and irreverance for the people that come in and fuel the purses, overhead and salaries. And in some cases even these horsemen and their horses are revered to as " celebrities". The imbalance against the modern wagering fans is too severe and all news sites (not just Mr. Paulick) has to address that in a fair and objective way.

Thank you and I'm off my soapbox now.
Have a good weekend all. :ThmbUp:

JohnGalt1
03-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Anybody who offers a handicapping/horse race/forum web site gets an "A" from me.

So thanks to all who take the time and effort.

One nice feature on Paulick's is the link at the top to various blogs. Some I've bookmarked.