PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita was 'unusually safe' in 2009-2010

gm10
03-03-2011, 05:15 AM
I've given up on Santa Anita. The racing bores me to death these days, it's not especially profitable to me, and it's turned out to be a step back in terms of equine safety.

http://www.drf.com/news/another-fatality-during-training-hours-santa-anita

'Square Face, an unraced 3-year-old, was euthanized as a result of injuries suffered in a morning workout at Santa Anita on Wednesday, the 11th horse lost because of injuries or accidents in training or racing on the sand-and-clay main track since the meeting began on Dec. 26, according to California Horse Racing Board.

At the 2009-2010 winter-spring meeting, when Santa Anita conducted racing on a synthetic track, there were two horses lost during racing. Wednesday, Dr. Rick Arthur, the racing board’s equine medical director, said that comparisons between the two years are difficult.

He described the 2009-2010 racing season at Santa Anita as “an unusually safe year. It was almost European. '

Southieboy
03-03-2011, 05:19 AM
He described the 2009-2010 racing season at Santa Anita as “an unusually safe year. It was almost European. '

So, Woodbine doesn't count?

gm10
03-03-2011, 05:31 AM
So, Woodbine doesn't count?

Do you have the fatality numbers for Woodbine? It seems very safe to me. I enjoy handicapping Woodbine, big fields, fair track.

The_Knight_Sky
03-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Santa Anita main track racing was "unusual" from 2007 to 2010.

Yes. ;)

Bruiser1
03-03-2011, 06:53 PM
I've given up on Santa Anita. The racing bores me to death these days, it's not especially profitable to me, and it's turned out to be a step back in terms of equine safety.

http://www.drf.com/news/another-fatality-during-training-hours-santa-anita

'Square Face, an unraced 3-year-old, was euthanized as a result of injuries suffered in a morning workout at Santa Anita on Wednesday, the 11th horse lost because of injuries or accidents in training or racing on the sand-and-clay main track since the meeting began on Dec. 26, according to California Horse Racing Board.

At the 2009-2010 winter-spring meeting, when Santa Anita conducted racing on a synthetic track, there were two horses lost during racing. Wednesday, Dr. Rick Arthur, the racing board’s equine medical director, said that comparisons between the two years are difficult.

I just don't like playing SA anymore. Aside from being completely snake bit there, I agree with you it's a tough track to ever be profitable as a better.

Regarding equine safety, I honestly haven't seen SA as any better or worse than other tracks. I suspect since it's a high profile track, the injuries receive more media attention than other places.

duncan04
03-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Three more horses injured today. Two of those horses broke down! :( They can't seem to get it right out there!!

PaceAdvantage
03-06-2011, 09:21 PM
They should rip up the dirt track and install one of dem newfangled artificial surfaces...

duncan04
03-06-2011, 10:27 PM
The bad thing is horses are getting hurt on both surfaces at an alarming rate!!

Stillriledup
03-06-2011, 10:28 PM
They should rip up the dirt track and install one of dem newfangled artificial surfaces...

They should actually intall a real dirt track and get rid of that cement they have out there right now.

PaceAdvantage
03-06-2011, 10:36 PM
The bad thing is horses are getting hurt on both surfaces at an alarming rate!!It is bad, but the truth is, there have been times on both the dirt and on artificial surfaces out there where horses were breaking down at a higher rate than at other times.

I wonder if it will be posted on here when we go through the inevitable streak when NO horses break down for an extended period of time...probably not...nature of the beast I suppose...

Niko
03-06-2011, 10:44 PM
If it's on all surfaces is it the track or.... something else??

Are they using something to dull the aches and pains of the horses perhaps-until it's too late?

or is it equipment or training related..you can't just blame it on cheap stock like some do because that applies to all tracks. and it's on the main track, training track and turf so what do you make of that?

Niko
03-06-2011, 10:45 PM
:jump: :mad: :) :eek: :bang: :ThmbUp: :ThmbDown:

pandy
03-06-2011, 11:08 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I expect that over time synthetic tracks will prove to be quite a bit safer than dirt tracks. That being said, there are good dirt tracks and the one at Santa Anita right now is certainly not one of them.

The_Knight_Sky
03-06-2011, 11:34 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I expect that over time
synthetic tracks will prove to be quite a bit safer than dirt tracks.

Perhaps you'll be proven correct.
But at this juncture the wagering public wants a main track to play the way a traditional main track plays. That means fewer out of the clouds closers like Evita Argentina, Stardom Bound, Street Boss etc.

There already is a course tailored for late runners http://i56.tinypic.com/dw6luv.gif the grass course.