PDA

View Full Version : Any track on the planet ...

The Bit
03-02-2011, 10:12 PM
have more jockey holds, objections, inquiries and late scratches than Charles Town?

I am glad that they seem to look a bit harder at the running of the races, as opposed to some places in which if the jocks cross the wire on the horse than no harm no foul. But wow, some nights it is never ending.

lamboguy
03-02-2011, 10:22 PM
have more jockey holds, objections, inquiries and late scratches than Charles Town?

I am glad that they seem to look a bit harder at the running of the races, as opposed to some places in which if the jocks cross the wire on the horse than no harm no foul. But wow, some nights it is never ending.
when you watch racing in foreign countries often times it takes 15 minutes or more to make a race official. they take their job very seriously in those places because the public deserves it. in this country many places make the race official before the jock weighs in. i would perfer to wait.

another thing that charlestown does that i like is scratch horses at the gate that the vet does not like the way the horse moves or is acting. that is there to protect the other riders and the public. that is the way it should be. with all that going on the charlestown handle is on the increase these days. it might not bother everyone.

firstoffclaim
03-02-2011, 10:30 PM
The dq was a bad call, incidental contact

The Bit
03-02-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm not bothered by it nightly. I appreciate that they look at the races harder than most. If that is why they have the number of late scratches near the gate, than I applaud that also. Tonight it has been seemingly every race so I made mention of it here ... Another late scratch in the 8th!

Sometimes the jockey holds get too be a bit much also some nights, for what amounts to absolutely nothing.

I thought the DQ could have gone either way, but it looked like Dooley made it tight on purpose and if you are going to make it tight, you probably shouldn't make contact.

Stillriledup
03-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Its the worst for late scratches. If you make a bet at this place with less than .01 seconds to post, you will probably have your bet 'altered' by pace scenario or whatnut. I've made mistakes betting early at this place, no more.

Stillriledup
03-03-2011, 12:42 AM
I'm not bothered by it nightly. I appreciate that they look at the races harder than most. If that is why they have the number of late scratches near the gate, than I applaud that also. Tonight it has been seemingly every race so I made mention of it here ... Another late scratch in the 8th!

Sometimes the jockey holds get too be a bit much also some nights, for what amounts to absolutely nothing.

I thought the DQ could have gone either way, but it looked like Dooley made it tight on purpose and if you are going to make it tight, you probably shouldn't make contact.

Good point. This DQ benefitted me as i bet against the 'dumb' 1-9 shot (glad the smart alec who bet 7k first flash lost his money) and i do think it was the right call. If the winner won by open lengths i'd say no DQ, but you can't bump the guy while head and head and then win by less than a length.

takeout
03-03-2011, 02:41 AM
I've made mistakes betting early at this place, no more.I’m still trying to get used to more than half the win pool showing up while they’re running the race. :D

Stillriledup
03-03-2011, 03:06 AM
I’m still trying to get used to more than half the win pool showing up while they’re running the race. :D

I hear you! In Wednesday night's finale, the 2nd place finisher went from 30-1 to 15-1 at the half mile pole and ran a bang up 2nd. This was a horse who was 'supposed' to win according to the after the start money. Maybe the horse couldnt read the board.

CT has been pretty good in that dept, there really havent been late odds changes where the winner goes way down in price, i give them credit for making sure horses, for the most part, pay what you think you're getting when the gate opens.

Delawaretrainer
03-03-2011, 07:22 AM
I've seen the vet in the receiving barn note that the horse came off the van a little iffy. After the horse traveled all that way she may give the horse a chance to look better before post. Maybe they kicked the horse trailer or something. Then when they look at before post, its not right and they scratch it.

I am just so happy that they scratch some of these horses. Unfortunately, there is a small percentage of trainers that would send a horse out there compromised.

Track Collector
03-03-2011, 10:57 AM
I can accept late scratches. What is totally unacceptable is when a gate scratch occurs and they do not allow sufficient time to place revised wagers.

One such instance occurred at sister track Pen a few weeks back where the favorite was a very late scratch and the horses broke out of the gate about 90 seconds after the announcement of the late scratch. In addition to not having any regard to the players, the person making the decision (not to hold up the race) cost their track about $ 3K to $6K in real money due to the scratched favorite's money in all the different pools. I know this amount is chump change for a racino, but it is still real money the track did not make along with players who were disrespected.

By the way, what is the title/position of the person who decides if/when to hold up a race due to a late scratch? Does the "Starter" have that power, or do they need the approval of someone else?

johnhannibalsmith
03-03-2011, 01:20 PM
...By the way, what is the title/position of the person who decides if/when to hold up a race due to a late scratch? Does the "Starter" have that power, or do they need the approval of someone else?

In my experiences, it is usually the mutuel manager that requests "time" from the stewards if needed and generally they concede to him the needed time and the stews then notify the outrider of how long the delay will be.

NYRA as one example, in my opinion, seems to do a pretty solid job of keeping the delays almost to a standard length which is reasonable from all perspectives.

Of course, there are then those tracks where the length of delay can be attributed to needing to bring the scratched horse all the way back to the frontside, get the groom out of line at the bar since he probably isn't in line at the windows, and then hope that he can hustle his way back to the paddock or barn area in under fifteen minutes.