PDA

View Full Version : Another one Slashes Take: 15% at Hastings

DeanT
02-28-2011, 08:16 PM
For those who play this track, or who worry about take, it's a nice set of prices this meet.

Hastings Racecourse Announces Increased Purses and Reduced Take-Outs for 2011 Thoroughbred Race Season

Fan-Friendly “Afternooner” Start Times to Also Be Introduced

Vancouver, B.C. (March 1, 2011) – The 2011 thoroughbred racing season at Hastings Racecourse & Slots launches on Saturday, April 16 with exciting changes in store for the 71-day meet.

Overnight purses are increasing by 19% and stakes horses will compete for 23% more with the retooled 41-race stakes schedule. An unprecedented 15 per cent takeout for followers of Hastings racing; resulting in increased payoffs for Win, Place and Show wagering. Added to the lower WPS takeouts are the Pick 4 Wager and the newly added Pick 5 Wager which will be a jackpot-type bet. Both will feature a low 15% takeout.

A new start time of 1:20 p.m. will apply on Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays, with the exception of major stakes days on Monday, August 1 (BC Cup Day) and Sunday, September 11 (BC Derby Day). Start times for both will be 12:20 p.m.

Recognized as the most important and richest race of the year, the 66th running of the $200,000 BC Derby on September 11 is the crown jewel of every Hastings Racecourse season. Added to the Derby Card is the BC Oaks, and four additional stakes, for over $500,000 in purses. The $50,000 Redekop BC Cup Classic is the feature attraction of eventful BC Cup Day August 1, when seven stakes races totaling $350,000 in purses make up the spectacular holiday card.

Fan-friendly “Afternooner” starts of 3:20 p.m. will be introduced at Hastings this year to accommodate BC Lions home games at Empire Field and the annual Fair at the PNE. The 10 dates affected are July 8, 22 and August 5 for Lions’ Friday night games plus Saturday afternoon, September 10. Twilight 3:20 p.m. starts at Hastings during the PNE Fair will be August 24, 25, 26, 31 and September 1 and 2.

The 71-day live racing schedule that ends on Sunday, October 2 and the 2011 stakes schedule are available on the Hastings Racecourse website at www.hastingsracecourse.com (http://www.hastingsracecourse.com/)

Hastings Racecourse & Slots is located in Vancouver, BC and features live and simulcast wagering, vibrant gaming floor, numerous dining options, private and public event facility rental opportunities, spectacular views of the North Shore Mountains, and outstanding guest service.

-30-

HuggingTheRail
03-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Less than 7 weeks til opening day....can't wait!! :ThmbUp::D

The Pick 5 will be interesting - although not something I am interested in playing. Hastings has tried a Pick 6 off and on, with very limited pool sizes (although they did well with it in the 1980s, before we were saturated with lotteries - back when there was on track wagering only, we had 120+ racedays a year, with handle over a million per day. Now its 71 race days, and handle of abut half a million per day)

The lottery corporation seems to be getting more involved in horse racing here lately, recently helping to sponsor a couple of pick 4s at the local harness track (Fraser Downs). It will be interesting to see if the reduced take results in more handle - will people in the US and other parts of Canada suddenly be more interested in a bullring in western Canada??

Charli125
03-01-2011, 12:22 PM
It will be interesting to see if the reduced take results in more handle - will people in the US and other parts of Canada suddenly be more interested in a bullring in western Canada??

I live in Seattle, and I love going up to Vancouver. I went to Hastings for my bachelor party, a birthday, and a friends bachelor party. I've always had a great time, and the staff is very friendly. I didn't bet a dime though, because I just don't bet into high takeout.

I'll definitely start patronizing them now, and I'm glad to see the trend towards lower takeout across tracks all over North America.

And FYI, I did tell them that I wasn't going to play because of their high takeout and they were receptive to my complaint. That's good customer service in my opinion.

rwwupl
03-01-2011, 09:29 PM
The Boycott, the weather, the economy, the negative reaction to California, who cares?

The wind is at the back of those seeking lower take out, I think we can expect more.

Cardus
03-01-2011, 11:27 PM
The Boycott, the weather, the economy, the negative reaction to California, who cares?

The wind is at the back of those seeking lower take out, I think we can expect more.

So, are you declaring that HANA had an effect here?

If so, how?

Horseplayersbet.com
03-02-2011, 07:56 AM

If so, how?
I would say that between posters here, bloggers, and HANA especially, takeout has been put on the map over the last two years like never before.
The result is that mainstream journalists have mentioned takeout more than ever before as well.
It is in every racing executive's face now.
And many racing execs definitely read the blogs, etc. And what is being said about takeout by the proponents who want to see it lowered makes complete sense. Though empirical evidence is hard to find (not impossible though), it is hard to knock the theory behind it.

I could almost guarantee you that if HANA didn't form we would not have seen this takeout reduction at Hastings, and many other reductions we've seen of late.

DeanT
03-02-2011, 07:59 AM
HANA has not had any discussions formally with Hastings Park.

rwwupl
03-02-2011, 09:29 AM

If so, how?

If you have been following events close, you have the answer. It is in the eye of the beholder,but it is real.

HANA has no vote, but has gained a certain influence.

Why question reality?

When things go your way, be happy,if not, state your case.