PDA

View Full Version : Should the Breeders' Cup go back to NBC?

andtheyreoff
02-28-2011, 07:35 PM
I only bring this question up because their coverage of the 2001 edition is on right now on HRTV. Compared to ESPN, their broadcast is so superior, IMO, it's not even close. And, of course, you have Tom Durkin on the mike.

Thoughts?

Note: I made a mistake, and now the poll is only open for one day. If anyone can correct this to make it open for one month (its original intent) I would appreciate it.

Jasonm921
02-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Hell yeah!

Market Mover
02-28-2011, 09:19 PM
I only bring this question up because their coverage of the 2001 edition is on right now on HRTV. Compared to ESPN, their broadcast is so superior, IMO, it's not even close. And, of course, you have Tom Durkin on the mike.

Thoughts?

Note: I made a mistake, and now the poll is only open for one day. If anyone can correct this to make it open for one month (its original intent) I would appreciate it.

Absolutely. A lot of racing fans, including myself, particularly favored the NBC coverage because of those excerpts and stories (like Tiznow Part II, pre and post race coverage you can find on youtube) that were priceless.

Tom Hammond was a integral part of that NBC telecast.

Trevor is better running the iso-replays postrace, while leaving the announcing to Tom.

And we hope, we truly hope, that Hammerin' Hank does not come anywhere close to NBC should they ever handle the BC coverage again...

NTamm1215
02-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Absolutely. A lot of racing fans, including myself, particularly favored the NBC coverage because of those excerpts and stories (like Tiznow Part II, pre and post race coverage you can find on youtube) that were priceless.

Tom Hammond was a integral part of that NBC telecast.

Trevor is better running the iso-replays postrace, while leaving the announcing to Tom.

And we hope, we truly hope, that Hammerin' Hank does not come anywhere close to NBC should they ever handle the BC coverage again...

Well stated.

thespaah
02-28-2011, 09:46 PM
NBC did a much better job. Unfortunately there is the elephant in the room in the form of ratings.
If a network could sell the broadcast, it would most likely take it.
Here's another issue. The BC is in the middle of NCAA Football season.
Many NBC affiliates have contracts to show college football games no matter what. For example, when I lived in Hilton Head, SC part of the Savannah market, that NBC affiliate had a contract to show SEC football at noon. The BC was always JIP'd at about 3.15 or 3:30. So viewers in that market saw the Turf/ Classic and that was it.

5k-claim
02-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Yes. Absolutely.

Tom Hammond is the Breeders Cup... at least in my memory he is.

"Arazi is just running by horses like they're tied to a post..."

Southieboy
02-28-2011, 10:13 PM
They can put it on VERSUS! :)

I was told that all races this year could air on ESPN2. :faint:

Robert Goren
02-28-2011, 10:15 PM
I prefer the ramblings of Hank to that accent of Trevor's.

ronsmac
02-28-2011, 10:17 PM
I prefer the ramblings of Hank to that accent of Trevor's.
Nothing better than seeing Hank drunk on live tv. Priceless.

tzipi
03-01-2011, 12:00 PM
I would love for the BC to go back to NBC. Always enjoyed it more over there. The clarity, the coverage and the stories were always top notch. ESPN does a good job but I just liked NBC more.