PDA

View Full Version : Davidowitz: nothing's changed in California

The_Knight_Sky
02-28-2011, 02:32 PM
THE CALIFORNIA TAKEOUT CONTROVERSY (http://www.gradeoneracing.com/davidowitz.htm?read=109)
by Steve Davidowitz

* Things have quieted down somewhat since some conversations have occurred amongst elements of the CHRB, TOC and HANA (refer to your private dictionary for the meaning behind these alphabet orgs.)

But nothing really has changed.

The increase in takeout percentages remain in force. The betting handles at Santa Anita have been down noticeably, but the alphabet officials have pointed out that the declines are probably due to the publicity generated by all the public commentary. Unfortunately, it is difficult to measure how the increases impacted handle, or if they did at all. :eek: And that is exactly why I thought it would be a better strategy to withhold the official ‘boycott' until right about now, when patterns had been established.

Hopefully, the alphabet officials nevertheless will realize that horseplayers should not be the ones who are asked to finance every new need that comes along. And, that higher takeout percentages inevitably lead to lower handles and lower purses, PERIOD.

Horseplayersbet.com
02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
I thought Davidowitz originally wrote not to boycott until mid to late January because he expected handle numbers to be up because of the new racing surface.
Edit: Unless he edited the time line as well, this article states he supports a boycott in late February early March, but he did state that he anticipated handle to do well at the start:
http://www.gradeoneracing.com/davidowitz.htm?read=85

jelly
02-28-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm sure the CHRB and the TOC would have liked it if the boycott started later too.

Davidowitz "I thought it would be a better strategy to withhold the official ‘boycott' until right about now"

Does this mean he is officially boycotting?

The_Knight_Sky
02-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Mr. Davidowitz says:

Unfortunately, it is difficult to measure how the increases impacted handle, or if they did at all.

The evidence is incontrovertible. Golden Gate Fields' all-sources handle has decreased roughly 20% this meet compared to last winter.

Santa Anita, buoyed by the return to dirt racing (and many locals who can't help wagering on it with their depleting bankrolls) still shows a 7% decline. If Pro-Ride had remained intact there certainly would be double-digit declines and purse cuts would be incorporated into the Hollywood Park condition books.

I don't see the value in having horseplayers "hold back" the official boycott
date in order to get a proper reading on whether the boycott has made a measurable impact. It is far more important that the word gets around that California racing has implemented severe increases in the hidden exotics pools that impact horse players' bankrolls. Spread the word. Make a difference.

With or without the boycott, future California race meets are set for continued decreases between 5% to 15% in all-sources handle thanks to the erosion of bankrolls that will be incurred by those still wagering on the California racing product.

takeout
02-28-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm sure the CHRB and the TOC would have liked it if the boycott started later too.

Davidowitz "I thought it would be a better strategy to withhold the official ‘boycott' until right about now"

Does this mean he is officially boycotting?It sure doesn’t look like it. This is what’s down near the bottom of the page:

[snip]
REMINDER: THERE'S A LUCRATIVE HANDICAPPING CONTEST ON THIS SITE SATURDAY, MAR. 5

It is a one day contest based on 10 races on the Sant Anita Handicap Day racing card.
[snip]

rycommon
02-28-2011, 09:32 PM
The most important thing is that any race track in the country would think hard before they even consider another take out hike. That is the biggest victory for the horse player from this.

The_Knight_Sky
03-01-2011, 10:05 AM
The most important thing is that any race track in the country
would think hard before they even consider another take out hike.

That is the biggest victory for the horse player from this.

Right now California racing's stubbornness is getting to be costly for the long haul. The serious bettors have packed their bags elsewhere. It's the local yokels that are helping to keep the ship afloat, but they can't keep plugging the holes forever with their leaking bankrolls.

Hollywood Park's Spring meet doesn't figure to make it into the black either.
Then there will be the usual pre-meet euphoria of Del Mar but it still has Polytrack installed. I simply cannot see any future meet showing increases in all-sources handle without rescinding the takeout rates. Creating new wagering pools to gouge the public even further won't cut it either.

It's time for: http://i51.tinypic.com/33elkp4.gif