PDA

View Full Version : Handicapping program gives error message... Can anyone help?

trying2win
10-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Hello:

Can someone help me to get a computer handicapping program working?

I have many handicapping programs, but the only ones that don't work are the ones that use TRACKMASTER data files. One program asks you to double-click a TRACKMASTER .EXE file to get it into the program for further processing. Unfortunately, when I do that, all I get is an error message that reads:

"A DEVICE ATTACHED TO THE SYSTEM IS NOT FUNCTIONING"

SOME THINGS I'VE CHECKED OUT:

-- I've checked my computer system. One by one. it says all devices are working properly.

--I've run FILE CHECKER and SCANDISK too. Each one says everything is O.K.

--I've run several antivirus scanners. No viruses have been found.

--Phoned TRACKMASTER. A technician there was stumped too!
He did mention that the handicapping program I was using is a DOS based program. Is that a clue?

--Ironically, other handicapping programs of mine that use BRISNET data files, work just fine. They are window-based. Is that another clue?

So, in conclusion I may be overlooking some minor thing that would remedy this computing problem. Hopefully some of the PA members who are good computer troubleshooting experts, can offer me some advice. Would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

One last note. I didn't think I'd be posting here at this site anymore, but it appears PA has done an excellent job of improving the atmosphere at the PACE ADVANTAGE site over the last while. It's refreshing to see.

Regards,

Trying2win

10-16-2003, 04:25 PM
TRYING

Can I ask you what programs you are referring to that won't work?

Larry Hamilton
10-16-2003, 04:41 PM
I downloaded lots of stuff from trackmaster in the making of a harness data base. I had the same error. The solution was to turn off the fire wall, then turn it back on when finished.

Do you have Zone Alarm or Norton?

trying2win
10-16-2003, 05:47 PM
122425:

The handicapping programs that won't work are SELECTWIN and the DIAMOND SYSTEM for harness races. I wouldn't be surprised though, if I tried using TRACKMASTER data files in some thoroughbred handicapping programs and find out they wouldn't work either.

Larry:

I use ZONE ALARM for a firewall. I tried your suggestion and turned it off. Also I disabled my pop-up stopper. I clicked on a TRACKMASTER data file again. Same old story. I still get the same error message. Thanks for the suggestion anyway because it's true, firewalls can and do interfere with the operation of some programs.

One other thing I didn't mention in my previous post, was that SELECTWIN did work up until a few weeks ago. That's when I had a computer crash. After that, SELECTWIN wouldn't work.
Since that computer crash I've purchased the HARNESS DIAMOND. I guess since it also uses TRACKMASTER data files, I shoudn't be surprised it doesn't work either.

Those computers sure can be tempermental at times, as we all find out sooner or later!

Maybe I need to buy a new hard drive or a new computer altogether.

Cheerio,

Trying2win

Larry Hamilton
10-17-2003, 11:23 AM
another possiblity:

It is also possible that the program was designed to run ONLY on a c: drive. Put the program and all the downloads on the c drive.

A word about "MS error messages"--they are useless.

trying2win
10-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Larry:

I agree about the MS error messages being useless.

It also seems a fair amount of the time, a person gets more good troubleshooting advice here at the Pace Advantage site, than they do sometimes from a software products' seller or a data provider.

I found one more clue to this software problem lately, that might lead to a remedy of the situation. I just found a NOTEPAD notice in the HARNESS DIAMOND SOFTWARE setup folder. It gives a bunch of ODBC error messages.

I believe ODBC is some sort of data base device, isn't it?, I know ODBC is found in the SETTINGS/CONTROL panel of a windows operating system. I confess I was tinkering around with it, trying to connect it to the two DOS-BASED software programs that weren't working. It might be that I may be an accessory to my own software operating problems!

I don't know what ODBC is short for. Is it a database numbers- crunching device used by all WINDOWS-BASED handicapping software programs , or just DOS-BASED ones, or both?

Hopefully these latest clues might lead to a resolution of solving my software problems.

I could e-mail you the NOTEPAD/ODBC error messages via a private message or e-mail, if you care to examine them.

Thanks,

Trying2win

Pace Cap'n
10-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Let me begin by saying if computer IQ was measured in Beyers, I'd be about a 3.5K claimer.

Your post got me curious about ODBC, so I went to a website I sometimes refer to when I have problems. Whether this relates to your problem, I have no idea.

Quote:
Your control panel problem is most likely because a control panel applet that is
specified in the registry is not found in your \Windows\System directory.

To list the applets in your \Windows\System directory, click "Start"->"Find"->"Files
or folders". In the Named text box area, type "*.cpl", and in the Look In drop-down
box, choose C: drive. Click on Find Now.

Once all files are found, maximise the window. Click on the heading In Folder to
sort the files by directory.

Only focus on files in the \Windows\System directory.

Try running each file - on one of the files you'll get a similar message as you do
when opening the control panel - that is your problem applet.

The applet name should give you some idea as to what it is and what it does. If not,
then delete it and open the control panel to try to see what's missing. Once you
know what the applet is, you know what software to reinstall.

The website is: www.annoyances.org/

In any event, there is quite a bit of interesting stuff there.

But I still don't know what ODBC is.

trying2win
10-17-2003, 04:32 PM
Pace Cap'n:

Thanks a million for the link, I'm going to check it out. It could be another opportunity to learn a thing or two about computer operating parts. Might even lead to a simple remedy for my handicapping software problems.

Regards,

Trying2win

Larry Hamilton
10-17-2003, 05:09 PM
ODBC = ornery dad blamed computers

Larry Hamilton
10-17-2003, 05:35 PM
or maybe

open database connectivity

http://www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/defineterm.yb?term=odbc&exact=1

trying2win
10-17-2003, 05:50 PM
Larry:

When I click on that TECHWEB link, it reads the "Link is no longer available".

Thanks,

Trying2win

Larry Hamilton
10-17-2003, 05:56 PM
me too

Pace Cap'n
10-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Thanks, now I know what ODBC is (sort of).

I liked the first def. better, though.

This link will go to TechWeb main page.........

www.techweb.com/encyclopedia/

trying2win
10-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Larry:

Thanks for your suggestions anyway. Your efforts were appreciated.

Maybe a miracle will happen yet! Someone might still suggest a remedy that won't cost me anything. I'm just trying to save some money, by soliciting some free advice from PA members, rather than spending a bunch of money at the computer repair shop.
Maybe it might be more cost-effective in the long run to purchase some upgrades.

As one of my old co-workers used to say... "I'm not being cheap, I'm just trying to be economical."

Cheerio,

Trying2win

trying2win
10-17-2003, 06:18 PM
Pace Cap'n

Thanks for the revised TECH WEB link. I'll examine the ODBC info at that website later this evening.

Regards,

Trying2win