PDA

View Full Version : Night Racing

socantra
10-16-2003, 10:13 AM
Does anyone have or has anyone seen any studies of the differences in night racing versus day racing?

It would seem a fairly major shift in horses running/living patterns.

I know when I first started handicapping night races, I found I could pretty largely discount those horses that had just come from day racing for their first race or two, but that was on tracks with all night racing, so there was also the fact that they were shipping in from other tracks.

Just curious if anyone has noticed any fundamental differences, or if not, is it something to watch at tracks that have both day and night racing?

socantra....

Brian Flewwelling
10-18-2003, 07:10 AM
This is an interesting question in a more general sense.

What is the normal pattern for a horses day? If I had to get up regularly at Workout times, then by the afternoon, i would need a nap :)

I believe human athletes adjust their sleep times and meal times to help adjust for Game times. Who tells a horse to sleep in if the race is in the evening?

I would like to hear from people with experiences dealing with horses on this matter.

Fleww

Show Me the Wire
10-18-2003, 10:54 AM
Mr. Flewwelling:

According to my personal observations, I do not know. I ran two horses, without previous night racing experience, under the lights, one won and one lost. Additionally, each horse was shipped- in for the race. I believe the loss was due more to the rough trip than racing at night. The problems I have personally observed are horses may be scared by shadows from the lights or a careless assistant starter coming out from behind shrubbery in a darkened area.

Turning to the issue who tells the horse about his assignment, I do. I personally, inform my horses what time they are going to run, the distance and how they should behave themselves during the race. I ask for confirmation by requesting they nod their head. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Go figure. The interesting part is when they do nod their heads they perform the way I politely asked them to perform. I can only speak for myself in this matter, as I do not know if other stables inform their horse of the task at hand.

Also, the time of performance is addressed somewhat by adjusting the feeding and medication schedule. Additionally, veteran horses know it is a race day, when they are not given their morning exercise (change in routine).

Knowing it is game day each horse prepares differently. Some seem to meditate, some sleep until prep time, some paw at the ground, in anticipation, others get worked-up and they ones that do not feel like racing retreat to the back of the stall hoping nobody will put a halter on them.

Hope the above information is satisfies your general question.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Brian Flewwelling
10-18-2003, 07:35 PM
SMTW,
thank you for your enlightening response. I am just a little curious about the part:

<quote>
Turning to the issue who tells the horse about his assignment, I do. I personally, inform my horses what time they are going to run, the distance and how they should behave themselves during the race. I ask for confirmation by requesting they nod their head. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Go figure. The interesting part is when they do nod their heads they perform the way I politely asked them to perform. I can only speak for myself in this matter, as I do not know if other stables inform their horse of the task at hand.
</quote>

And I am evisioning the reluctant animal looking at you quizically saying to himself "What part of Gel Lost do you have trouble understanding?"

Fleww

Show Me the Wire
10-18-2003, 07:58 PM
Mr. Flewwelling:

I had a good chuckle over your response. The part I understand about getting lost is when they turn their back end to me. So far none of them have, acted in the above manner, during the pre-race pep and instructional talk.

However, as I stated in my prior post sometimes they do not acknowledge my request with a nod of the head. Maybe this is another way of saying get lost, I already know what to do.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

sq764
10-19-2003, 12:05 AM
I do know that in harness racing, horses that are used to racing at night that race during the day sometimes are surprised by the shadows, and therefore break stride.