PDA

View Full Version : Share your opinions: Thoroughbred racing survey

W2G
02-25-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm running a survey for Thoroughbred racing fans and horseplayers and invite you to participate. The 10-15 minute questionnaire covers a variety of topics.

Thanks for your time, and thanks Mike for accepting a link here at PA.

Go to Survey (https://quantum.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eqCtHprLIIpShb6&wcf=pa)

DeanT
02-25-2011, 11:12 AM
I did it.

How many do you hope to get W2?

W2G
02-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Dean,
The more the better of course, but at a minimum enough to cut the results in different ways and make some meaningful comparisons. Numbers look to be on target to be able to do that with addition of more serious-minded players, which is why I came here.

MickJ26
02-25-2011, 11:12 PM
I took the survey.

Tuffmug
02-25-2011, 11:17 PM
What is your AGENDA? What is the purpose of the survey?

andicap
02-25-2011, 11:26 PM
I did it. took about 10 mins. very easy.
Weather in Maine must have been brutal this year.

W2G
02-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Brutal, yes. Picked a bad year to move into a new house with a very long driveway.

Tuffmug, thanks for asking. The survey has various objectives:

Overall I want to learn about racing customers. I want to get a baseline read on different opinion issues and topics. A few questions are experimental and haven't worked perfectly but well enough, and will be "battle-tested" for the next time. Also exploratory is the "race preference" section. I'll know more here after analyzing results but my thought is that something similar but more sophisticated could potentially play a part in estimating optimal takeout rates from a micro perspective, in conjunction with macro econometric stuff. At the very least I want to learn more about the trade-off choices a bettor makes in selecting races. Coincidentally it seems California Racing has a survey out that is trying to get at the same thing.

In general the survey will give me data to analyze and probe for insights, and write about those insights. And if by chance industry-types take the survey they may be inspired to conduct their own customer research.

Tread
02-26-2011, 10:29 AM
took it

Pell Mell
02-26-2011, 10:50 AM
You lost me when you got to the preference for each prefered level or whatever the hell you talking about:confused:

W2G
02-28-2011, 01:47 PM
You lost me when you got to the preference for each prefered level or whatever the hell you talking about:confused:

You're not alone--- that section required better explanation and instruction. We'll get 'em next time.

Thanks to all who took the time to participate. Overall response has been terrific.

For everyone else: The survey will be open for just a few hours longer if you wish to share your opinions.

Spiderman
02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
I did the survey on Saturday, but did not have time for comment. So here it is:

The level for signers should be raised. There is a disparity between slots player and horseplayer signer levels.

Reporting for losses against gains should be reconciled before getting to Adjusted Gross Income, same as reporting of Capital Gains/Losses. The present requirement to report losses on Schedule A, burdens the horseplayer in a variety of ways: eliminates utilizing the standard deduction; lowers the amount of medical expense and charitable contributions that can be reported; including signers as earnings is biased against lower income and senior citizens - those who do not report itemized deductions.

JohnGalt1
02-28-2011, 04:58 PM
I had the survey emailed to me last weekend.

I filled it out to the best of my abilility.

When and where will results be posted?

W2G
03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
When and where will results be posted?

I'll publish some top-level results by later today or tomorrow here (http://www.thorotrends.com). Will come back and let you know.

W2G
03-02-2011, 08:24 PM
As promised, a high-level initial summary of results:

Survey results (http://thorotrends.com/news-and-views/50-blog/83-thorotrends-thoroughbred-racing-survey-your-topline-results)