PDA

View Full Version : Raccoon Interference At Woodbine

Sea Biscuit
02-25-2011, 07:53 AM
In the 10th race at Woodbine on Feb 24 a raccoon scooted across the track during the running of the race that forced the judges to take down two horses one of them a hot 4/5 favorite which finished 3rd and declare them non-starters and the moneys on them refunded. The horses were #4 Smokin N Grinin and #2 Puff Mommy. The interference happened just after the 1/8th pole and the fans who put their money on these two horses can thank the raccoon for getting their money back because raccoon or not the #4 favorite was clearly beat.

I have seen geese interfering before at Woodbine but a raccoon was a first for me.

Watch this video

jjvN4H3VFvg

HandyKapper
02-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Didn't seem like either horse was bothered enough to warrant any changes.

Sea Biscuit
02-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Didn't seem like either horse was bothered enough to warrant any changes.

Thats what I thought

GregReinhart
02-25-2011, 12:49 PM
There has been a raccoon interference before - it came back in 2007 in an elimination for the Valley Victory (2yo colt trot). The bank of lights were out in the first turn (another regular happening at WEG) and a raccoon ran right in front of Lancer Springs and Di Manggio going into the first turn, with both horses going off stride.

The whole thing turned ugly because the owners of the horses were not given their starting fees back despite the interference and WEG's culpability in the lighting malfunction. Lancer Springs had been a really nice horse up to that point, but he completely went off form after that incident and it took a long time for him to get over it; his whole 3-yo campaign was basically lost. Although he went on to be a decent condition/claimer at The Meadows, he was never that level a performer again.

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Didn't seem like either horse was bothered enough to warrant any changes.Can't believe they made a change based on that...

MaTH716
02-25-2011, 01:53 PM
I missed it the first time and had to watch it again to find the so-called inncident. Just ridiculous and a bit sketchy that they declared those two horses as non starters (especially when one of them was the 4/5 heavy favorite).

Sea Biscuit
02-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Funny things can happen on a race track.

I remember once watching a dog race when a real rabbit jumps on the track during a race and one of the dogs goes after the real rabbit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nze1SqLzdEY

Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

JustRalph
02-26-2011, 01:45 AM
What a crock......... can't believe they made a change.

In a related matter, that damn raccoon is part quarter horse. Fast little SOB!

Who was that masked man?

Sea Biscuit
02-26-2011, 03:00 AM
I wonder what the judges would have done if the #4 the favorite had won the race

Stillriledup
02-26-2011, 05:57 AM
I wonder what the judges would have done if the #4 the favorite had won the race

They would have paid off the winners which means they gave the favorites bettors a free shot. Zero chance they refund a winner on something like this.

Pacingguy
02-27-2011, 06:31 AM
Nothing beats the rabbit incidents at Alberta Downs.

Pacingguy
02-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Nothing beats the rabbit incidents at Alberta Downs.

I am sorry, it was at Northland Park. Here is one of the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqc0UjcGMAE