PDA

View Full Version : smart phones and hacking

Grits
02-23-2011, 10:30 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/technology/personaltech/24basics.html?_r=1&hpw

This is troublesome having just purchased a droid phone.:rolleyes: How many precautions can one take nowadays to secure, not only their identity, but their privacy, etc, etc.

Its still a phone, and the primary use for it. But man, what people won't do! Its all such a bother at times.

sammy the sage
02-23-2011, 10:42 PM
Sippin' crown at the beach and THROW the phone in the ocean...or maybe a mountain meadow...either way...that'll take care of the problem ;)

Grits
02-24-2011, 12:02 AM
The Crown, yes. The phone, NO WAY, Sammie. Too much "moola" involved. Just won't put a lotta apps on it, certainly no third party ones.

Ralph knows this stuff, he'll tell me what's right. He's a big time TECHIE. ;)

JustRalph
02-24-2011, 01:40 AM
The Crown, yes. The phone, NO WAY, Sammie. Too much "moola" involved. Just won't put a lotta apps on it, certainly no third party ones.

Ralph knows this stuff, he'll tell me what's right. He's a big time TECHIE. ;)

Don't use your phone to access your bank accounts. Don't enter your credit card number in any apps on your phone. That's my basic advice. If the data is not there, they can't steal it. The google checkout info is not stored on the phone. That is what you use to buy apps.

The Times is making more out of it than what it is. But I think it is a problem. The Android Apps are more "Wild" than the IOS/IPhone apps. But they are also a little more free form without apple's rules.

I have an Android phone (EVO) and after about 6mths now I am really starting to dig it. It is basically a 4 inch Android tablet.

I found a neat app this week that works great. "Silent Time Lite" is free.

I have a job where I have to mute my phone while working (set to vibrate) and it's a pain in the ass trying to remember to do it. Not anymore. This app allows you to schedule the phone to do it all by itself. I have used it a week now and it works flawlessly. I just punched in my work schedule and now my phone sets itself to vibrate five minutes before I start work and goes back to normal ringtone five minutes after I get off. It even knows my days off........... just a tip

Grits, if you need any further info, in depth stuff.....send me a message.

Grits
02-24-2011, 09:15 AM
JR, I knew that you'd know this stuff. As far as apps go--so limiting them. At this point, I tried a couple, adding simple things like Weather channel, Google maps, etc. As far as others, I'll use caution. Uninstalled two already after finding them a pain.

The GPS, I care nothing about, Lord, unless I get lost walking somewhere, what do I need that for? I have one, already. The one in the car is far better than any that could be put on a phone.

Anything related to credit cards, ss#, etc, for instance, Bris needs SS# (last four digits) typed into my phone in order to identify me with my existing account to link IT to the new gmail address. NO. I'll make a phonecall to Bris and talk to my customer service person I've dealt with for years. I won't put this information in the phone. I'd have a problem with that.

For this same reason . . . won't do any banking online. Never have, never will. Don't like it. Some things are kept old school--as in--IN my hand every month or, whenever I want to check them. No online transfers or monthly payments either. If my bank accounts, other accounts, etc, were hacked into or tampered with due to my error, using my pc, laptop, or phone--I'd freak. Seriously so.:lol:

Sometimes, there's too much technology, too many folks becoming too dependent on it--and all for convenience, while others are trying to get their hands on all of it. No, don't think so.

I'll pm you if I have other questions. Thanks, JR.;)