PDA

View Full Version : Storm Cat/HBO

MaTH716
02-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Why do they show actual matings when they are doing stories on TV about big time stallions? I remember the last piece I saw...I think it was on HBO's "Real Sports" with Bryant Gumbel...they did a piece on Storm Cat a few years ago as he was about to be pensioned...they showed him covering a mare as well as the moments before and after the actual deed was done...

Why did they show that?

There's your answer.

I'm not trying to beat this to death, but it seemed like you were looking for an answer.
The only reason they showed the entire deed, was to put into perception for the non horse racing people what it actually entailed for Storm Cat to make 500k. It had very little to do with the actual act, just the timing of it and the ring of the cash register every time it was done (obviously there are conditions).
It was a very tounge in cheek piece that was comical at times, but the stud fee was the basis of it.

Grits
02-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Storm Cat-- Stormy to his handlers-- at his peak was North America's most expensive stallion, commanding $500,000 a pop from 2002–2007. His harem of top-flight mares numbered 100-120 a year. During his prime Storm Cat earned his owners an estimated $233 million, or nearly $39 million per year from eager breeders looking to cash in on his proven genetic strength.

Few stallions have fit the modern commercial market better than Storm Cat. Seven times he was the leading sire of juveniles. He regularly produced quick, precocious runners, yet demonstrated that with the right mare, he could throw a horse capable of getting the American classic distance of 10 furlongs. Storm Cat tended to stamp his foals in his own image: well balanced, muscular with good shoulders, strong hips, and an indomitable will to win.

http://www.pennsylvaniaequestrian.com/news_0210/0210_Storm_Cat.htm

This story is a year old, still, its one of the best one could read about Storm Cat, aside from the book, STUD, by Kevin Conley, which shared adventures in breeding--much of it Storm Cat's--not only a fine book, but at times, laugh out loud funny as well. When I met Conley on the evening of a book signing in Lexington, he wrote, "For (real name), My number one reader. Keep laughing, (and winning!) --Kevin C.

Anyway, this noted . . . breeding is interesting in so many ways, and each stallion, different, in even more.

Over the years, in Lexington, having visited them, photographed them, seen a couple of them bred to their mares, of those that I've met, none had me more awestruck than the legendary Storm Cat, and two time Classic winner, Tiznow.

My afternoon in 2003 when visiting with SC, he was 20 years old, and still a handful. Rearing, throwing his head, and chewing at his lead shank. Then later, standing still, falling asleep, while I rubbed on his head and his ears. After a while, he was turned back out in his paddock where he still reigned at Overbrook. He took off running. He's pensioned now, and 28 years old. I think of him often and wish I knew how he's doing today; a google search doesn't tell me anything.

I sure hope he's still got some of his trademark, "I'm the one; and don't you forget it."

What a truly incredible stallion; a horse I felt privileged to be in the company of.

PhantomOnTour
02-22-2011, 04:23 PM
I second the thoughts of Grits about the book STUD by K Conley.
Awesome read, and funny too :ThmbUp: