PDA

View Full Version : Here a question

BIG HIT
02-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Of all books\articles you read what one became a part of a foundation.Example turn time ability time ,thrid fraction,final fraction.
For my handicapping it is turn time as most my winner have that as my top pick some other threads here have ppf.Just curious as most of us have read many many book'articles

Overlay
02-22-2011, 08:53 AM
I'd have to say Quirin's Winning at the Races for its concept of impact values (which originated with Frederick Davis rather than Quirin, but which Quirin popularized and built on).

Other books had showed me how to "pick winners" (which too often ended up being overbet to the point where their payoffs didn't compensate for the times when they didn't win, because the horses were arrived at through a process of elimination that eventually lost its pari-mutuel value, as all such angles or systems do).

Quirin's research provided an objective, replicable basis not only for selecting horses that were likely to finish first, but also for determining whether any horse or combination in a race (not just the most probable winner) was worth a bet at its posted odds/payoff, and what the mathematically optimal bet sizing should be based on that determination. (Those subjects were later further expanded for me by the writings of Mike Nunamaker (Modern Impact Values) and Dick Mitchell (Commonsense Betting), but Quirin was my starting point.)

Also, Quirin's multiple regression formulas showed me how to address the concern about long-term pari-mutuel obsolesence through the blending of multiple handicapping factors, rather than relying on just one isolated angle or element, no matter how powerful it might be.

Tom
02-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Quinn, for a basic understanding of what class is and how it works by using the race conditions - although some are outdated, the basics work and using today's dbs, I can look at a heck of a lot of certain type races and update the ideas pretty painlessly. Much easier than flipping through mold old form in the cellar late into the night.

Quirin, for speed points, pace and speed figures, race shapes, all of which are the core my handicapping now.

MPH for the idea of incremental velocity and energy distribution, also key tools nowadays. Knowing how to use running stule and velocity together is key. (a lot of Randy Giles in here as well)

HTR newsletters/seminar books for doing my own research and taking Quirin light years into the future.

HombreDelRey
02-22-2011, 06:46 PM
I would say James Quinn Recreational Handicapping take a bit from all of the above authors.. And William Scott and my favorite Mark Cramer Form Cycles.

Tom
02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Lots of good ideas in Form Cycles.:ThmbUp:

thaskalos
02-22-2011, 10:24 PM
"Winner's File"...by Henry Kuck, and "The Odds Must Be Crazy"...by Len Ragozin.

I found things in these two books that I had never read in any other.