PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Memory

sq764
10-15-2003, 02:25 PM
Currently,the piece of crap Compaq Armada laptop I use is good enough to handle my spreadsheets and DSL/Streaming video.

My question is, is there a way to expand the memory to where it would make a difference? Also, since the processor is 300K (yes, its that horrendous), is there anything you can do to speed it up?

SAL
10-15-2003, 04:00 PM
Generally, an upgrade of extra RAM improves performance. Nothing you can really do about the processor, except to replace it with a faster chip, which I don't think would really be cost effective.

sq764
10-15-2003, 05:59 PM
This laptop has 70 Ram, believe it or not.. What do you think the Max I could go up to is?

cj
10-15-2003, 06:05 PM
You would have to consult your Manufacturer's guide that came with it. It should tell you the max memory allowed. If it is significantly more, it will help a lot.

Boris
10-15-2003, 10:09 PM
Go to www.kingston.com and look up your machine by model number. They will show you what it came with, and what all your options for upgrading are.

sq764
10-15-2003, 10:26 PM
Thanks Boris!! I can expand up to 256K.. might try that

DJofSD
10-15-2003, 11:02 PM
I hope you're running XP. Anything else might not fully utilize all of the physical memory you might add onto the laptop.

If you add more memory beyond the bare minimum recommended for the OS you're running, it will do at least one thing for you. The system will boot faster.

300Mhz should be good enough. Believe it or not, I have a 25MHz, 80486, 16MB, DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11 laptop system I still use!

If you are having continued problems with the system attempt to do 2 things before trashing it and moving onto something else.

First, make sure you have all the current BIOS, drivers and patches. It's sometimes amazing what one little fix can do to make a system behave correctly.

Second, it is sometimes worth the hassle of backing up your system then completely formating the HDD and reinstall the OS and your software. This will cure a world of problems especially those like partially installed or de installed programs, garbage in the registry, etc.

Good luck!

DJofSD