PDA

View Full Version : Transporting injured jockeys at Gulfstream: a big problem

Grits
02-21-2011, 12:17 PM
This is not good. This is not acceptable AT ALL. Nothing could be more dangerous than having to stabalize and move a fallen rider who is paralyzed with no movement in his or her limbs, not once, but--twice. First, off the track, unto a stretcher and into a private on site ambulance the track employs, then moved off of that ambulance, yet again, to the City of Hallandale's ambulance for transport to the regional medical center. All of this as the track ambulance is not able to leave the Gulfstream grounds.

There's a licensing problem here that needs to be worked out immediately.

This is BULL! Riders can put a stop to this.

http://www.drf.com/news/gulfstream-jockeys-unhappy-system-transporting-injured-riders

joanied
02-21-2011, 01:10 PM
I agree with this...one move from the track to the hospital...that they needed to move him twice is an outrage.:mad:

FenceBored
02-21-2011, 01:23 PM
This is not good. This is not acceptable AT ALL. Nothing could be more dangerous than having to stabalize and move a fallen rider who is paralyzed with no movement in his or her limbs, not once, but--twice. First, off the track, unto a stretcher and into a private on site ambulance the track employs, then moved off of that ambulance, yet again, to the City of Hallandale's ambulance for transport to the regional medical center. All of this as the track ambulance is not able to leave the Gulfstream grounds.

There's a licensing problem here that needs to be worked out immediately.

This is BULL! Riders can put a stop to this.

http://www.drf.com/news/gulfstream-jockeys-unhappy-system-transporting-injured-riders

Question 1: What's the point of having an ambulance service on-site that can't transport patients to a hospital?

Question 2: Are there any private ambulance services in the area which Gulfstream could hire that would be allowed to take patients to the hospital?

Grits
02-21-2011, 02:07 PM
From the article, one gets the feeling all of this is about money. Why would this not come as a surprise, of course?

The City of Hallandale Beach wants everything in the area tied to them. Either way, this needs to be worked out.

According to track officials, the first City of Hallandale Beach ambulance arrived within three to five minutes to pick up the more severely injured Coa to transport him to Memorial Regional. But the second vehicle reportedly did not reach Lopez for at least 15 to 20 minutes while the injured jockey suffered in pain and the AMR crew denied all pleas to drive him immediately to the hospital for fear of violating city ordinances.

5k-claim
02-22-2011, 12:18 PM
You learn something new every day. I had no earthly idea that the ambulance that picks up the jockey cannot then drive him on to the hospital. Or that one injured jockey in Hallandale Beach can expect transport within 3-5 minutes, but a second jockey could be waiting 15-20 minutes.

I hope other tracks around the country took this as an opportunity to take a moment and review their own situations.

Mineshaft
02-22-2011, 01:17 PM
So basically the ambulance that is at the track is pretty much worthless.

Vinman
02-22-2011, 05:42 PM
I wonder if Calder, 8 miles to the west of Hallandale, is subject to the same type of limitations with their ambulance crews as Gulfstream is? Same question with regard to Tampa Bay Downs and Pompano. Theoretically the policy should be the same at all four tracks.....but I've gotta believe its not.

Vinman

Golf and Horses
02-22-2011, 07:16 PM
I believe (but am not 100% sure) that at Philly Park or Parx or whatever the hell its called now, if the ambulance has to transport a jockey to the hospital...they won't run another race until the company contracted sends out another ambulance or the one that transported the jockey returns. I kinda remember it happening a few times. The Gulfstream situation is ridiculous. I wonder how many other tracks have the same policy or situation?