PDA

View Full Version : The Factor - how good is he really?

Tom
02-20-2011, 07:15 PM
No one knows for sure, because the Santa Anita timer

MALFUNCTIONED ONCE AGAIN!

What a pathetic track this dump is. A track that cannot manage to do the basic things like time races should be shut down.

SA - GP - two minor league tracks. :ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

Dahoss9698
02-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Doesn't Tampa have issues with the timer also?

horses4courses
02-20-2011, 07:20 PM

What a pathetic track this dump is. A track that cannot manage to do the basic things like time races should be shut down.

Yea...that's bad.
When I saw 52 and change displayed for the half, I chuckled.
They will take some flack for this - and rightly so.

point given
02-20-2011, 07:26 PM
The Factor , miler at best, BUT I was impressed with the 2nd finisher
Sway Away, who should stretch out well

jelly
02-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Could be a good sprinter.

Tom
02-20-2011, 07:54 PM
I think CJ said Tampa has had trouble too.
But Tampa IS a minor league track. :rolleyes:

thaskalos
02-20-2011, 08:00 PM
I think CJ said Tampa has had trouble too.
But Tampa IS a minor league track. :rolleyes:Don't worry...the way they are going, they will ALL be minor league tracks soon...

andtheyreoff
02-20-2011, 08:10 PM

Your overdramatic rants against anyone or anything you think has done wrong are often ridiculous, and yet humorous at times.

The actual fractions: :22.1, :43.2, 1:07.1, 1:20.1

surfdog89
02-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Sway Away................I saw break his maiden.......Big Colt With a Bright Future

cj
02-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Your overdramatic rants against anyone or anything you think has done wrong are often ridiculous, and yet humorous at times.

The actual fractions: :22.1, :43.2, 1:07.1, 1:20.1

Why is it overdramatic? What information holds more importance than the time? In my experience, it is very hard to trust any published times one it is obvious there was a malfunction. A 21 and 1/5 second quarter?

andtheyreoff
02-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Why is it overdramatic? What information holds more importance than the time? In my experience, it is very hard to trust any published times one it is obvious there was a malfunction. A 21 and 1/5 second quarter?

I didn't find his complaint overdramatic. What I found overdramatic was stuff like:

A track that cannot manage to do the basic things like time races should be shut down.

Calling for the shutdown of a track because the timer malfunctioned once is, IMO, a bit extreme.

As for the fractions, I just got them as they were presented. I wouldn't be surprised to see an adjustment in the coming days.

cj
02-20-2011, 08:45 PM
I didn't find his complaint overdramatic. What I found overdramatic was stuff like:

Calling for the shutdown of a track because the timer malfunctioned once is, IMO, a bit extreme.

As for the fractions, I just got them as they were presented. I wouldn't be surprised to see an adjustment in the coming days.

I see your point, but I don't think he was serious.

As for any corrections, don't hold your breath. First, nobody that can fix it cares enough to get the right time posted. Second, even if someone did care, they probably don't know how to use the right technology to get it right.

horses4courses
02-20-2011, 08:47 PM
What information holds more importance than the time?

Umm......who won the race???

andymays
02-20-2011, 08:48 PM
I get pissed every time I look for the first fraction and it's screwed up. The timing stuff happens way too often and it is embarrassing.

I liked the #3 and he ran pretty well. The Factor had a big gap in his works since raced and I thought he might be vulnerable. In addition to that the surface has a lot more sand in it than the day he broke his maiden.

Bill O'Reilly will be happy that he won.

cj
02-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Umm......who won the race???

I can see that for myself.

thaskalos
02-20-2011, 08:53 PM

Let's see...

The track chemists can't be trusted to diagnose the presence of illegal drugs...the track stewards can't be trusted to make the correct inquiry decisions on a consistent basis...the clockers can't be trusted to time the workouts accurately...the chart callers can't be trusted to give an accurate accounting of the race, and the teletimers can't be trusted to accurately time the races.

About the only thing they have been able to accomplish in this game on a consistent basis, and in an accurate manner...is the collection of the takeout.

gm10
02-20-2011, 08:53 PM
I can't believe Surrey Star was in that race. I saw him run here in Epsom last summer ... even had a bet on him that day... nice little horse, but I didn't expect him to show up in a grade 2 on the dirt at Santa Anita.

Anyhoodles ... Equibase has the time @ 80.34 seconds. Will depend on the DTV but at first sight that is not that impressive.

horses4courses
02-20-2011, 08:55 PM
I can see that for myself.
True.
I should have qualified that by adding:
Who won the race, and how easily were they running?

Times would be the true acid test, if all horses put in the same effort every race.

SmartyLane
02-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Timers, clocks whatever have malfunctions in all sports everyday. Ever watched a basketball game where the shot clock messes up.

Stuff happens. I make mistakes everyday, I am pretty sure you all do to.

Back to the race, The Factor is one speedy colt. Sway Away sure does have a weird way of going. Head up high, and some strange front action.

andymays
02-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Timers, clocks whatever have malfunctions in all sports everyday. Ever watched a basketball game where the shot clock messes up.

Stuff happens. I make mistakes everyday, I am pretty sure you all do to.

Back to the race, The Factor is one speedy colt. Sway Away sure does have a weird way of going. Head up high, and some strange front action.

Sway Away looked like he never relaxed. At least that was my impression watching it live. I haven't watched the replay yet.

cj
02-20-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a clock malfunction during a track and field race.

Relwob Owner
02-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Let's see...

The track chemists can't be trusted to diagnose the presence of illegal drugs...the track stewards can't be trusted to make the correct inquiry decisions on a consistent basis...the clockers can't be trusted to time the workouts accurately...the chart callers can't be trusted to give an accurate accounting of the race, and the teletimers can't be trusted to accurately time the races.

About the only thing they have been able to accomplish in this game on a consistent basis, and in an accurate manner...is the collection of the takeout.

Nice summary....depressing, though. Is it any wonder why our game has trouble attracting new fans?

As CJ and others have indicated, it is just so ridiculous that they cant get the times taken care of-in your summary of what racing cant do correctly, you would think having a start and stop time correct would be the easiest to cure.

thaskalos
02-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Nice summary....depressing, though. Is it any wonder why our game has trouble attracting new fans?

As CJ and others have indicated, it is just so ridiculous that they cant get the times taken care of-in your summary of what racing cant do correctly, you would think having a start and stop time correct would be the easiest to cure.I also wanted to add that the betting terminals can't be trusted to shut-off at the start of the race...but I didn't want to overdo it with the depressing facts...:)

Relwob Owner
02-20-2011, 09:38 PM
I also wanted to add that the betting terminals can't be trusted to shut-off at the start of the race...but I didn't want to overdo it with the depressing facts...:)

I have about ten others I could have added to but like you, didnt want to overdo it....guess we are gluttons.

It is really amazing to me the overall lack of effort involved by those who run things in racing. I think it will take the closing of many tracks before the powers that be there realize they should have done more.

Greyfox
02-20-2011, 11:34 PM
No one knows for sure...............

And what is wrong with 52 seconds to the 4 furlong mark in a 7 furlong race?
Isn't that par?:lol:
I think POINT GIVEN nailed my thoughts:

"The Factor , miler at best, BUT I was impressed with the 2nd finisher
Sway Away, who should stretch out well"

SWAY AWAY....RAN HUGE ON A SPEED FAVORING SURFACE.

P.S. If "The Factor" goes farther next time out, bet against him. ;)

dansan
02-20-2011, 11:54 PM
when he goes farther he will save some of that speed and it will be a different jock

Dahoss2002
02-21-2011, 01:06 AM
True.
I should have qualified that by adding:
Who won the race, and how easily were they running?

Times would be the true acid test, if all horses put in the same effort every race.
"Time only matters to people in jail" Didn't Jack Van Berg say that when quizzed about Alysheba's winning times?

plainolebill
02-21-2011, 01:25 AM
I'm not sure the onscreen timer was synchronized with the actual race timer. Last week when this issue came up I remember having seeing the actual fractions and time on the tote board and they were different from what I saw on the video. I didn't get a look at the tote after the race today.

cj
02-21-2011, 01:38 AM
"Time only matters to people in jail" Didn't Jack Van Berg say that when quizzed about Alysheba's winning times?

Is that the last horse he had that won a race?

I don't think he originated that saying in any case.

illinoisbred
02-21-2011, 09:03 AM
I believe Charlie Whittingham was the 1st to publicly say this to the media.

gm10
02-21-2011, 09:12 AM
I have a 90 for him ... good number but a bit below his previous 93. Finishing speed not terrific either for a 7F race on dirt.

Sway Away got 89 after a 90 in his Del Mar race. Finished better but not sure it was that impressive either.

andymays
02-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Baffert intends to take it slow with The Factor | Daily Racing Form

http://www.drf.com/news/baffert-intends-take-it-slow-factor

Excerpt:

Even though trainer Bob Baffert puts The Factor on the same plane as champion Uncle Mo when it comes to raw talent, he and co-owner George Bolton are being realistic about how to proceed with The Factor, desirous of giving him a chance to go two turns, but sensitive to not ruin him on a difficult, perhaps quixotic, quest to make the Kentucky Derby.

“You won’t see him going a mile and an eighth soon,” Baffert, a three-time Derby winner, said after The Factor scored a front-running victory in the seven-furlong San Vicente Stakes at Santa Anita on Sunday. “I want to bring him up in increments. He’ll tell us.”

Excerpt:

Sway Away, who finished furiously to get second in the San Vicente in his first start since August, will be given a chance to get to the Derby, trainer Jeff Bonde said.

“This is the best Derby chance I’ve had in many years,” Bonde said. “He showed me enough that I’m still a believer. He’s eligible to all the races here and at Oaklawn. We’ll see whatever looks best.”

andymays
02-21-2011, 10:10 AM
102 Beyer.

Shelby
02-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I think that at all tracks there should be a real human being with a stop-watch doing each race just in case of a malfunction of the timing equipment.

big frank
02-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Sway Away ran a BIG race. He looks like he has the ability and if you watch his stride down the lane ,,,,, he was really running on strongly. I dont think the winner was stopping i just think Sway Away was flying.

FlyinLate
02-21-2011, 11:55 AM
I think everyone is getting a little too full of themselves on Sway Away.
Did he look great coming home? Yes.
However, coming from last to second in a race where the half was 43 + change, passing horses who went up to challenge The Factor and tired, is not as big of an accomplishment as everyone is giving him.

Plenty of horses have done this in the past, i.e. Mr. Hot Stuff.
When he comes back in the next stakes at SA, matures, shows that same run home under softer fractions, and still makes up that much ground, then I'll buy in to him.

point given
02-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Sway Away ran a BIG race. He looks like he has the ability and if you watch his stride down the lane ,,,,, he was really running on strongly. I dont think the winner was stopping i just think Sway Away was flying.,

Thats what I saw, trailed the field and made one big run down the stretch with a nice big stride on him, looked kind of green in that run as well. His sire and dam sire AWD are in the high 7 s too.

On The Factor, I think a 1 mile race should be ok for him at SA with a short run to the 1st turn but like Baffert as quoted 1 1/8 will take a while if they try it.

gm10
02-21-2011, 12:32 PM
I think everyone is getting a little too full of themselves on Sway Away.
Did he look great coming home? Yes.
However, coming from last to second in a race where the half was 43 + change, passing horses who went up to challenge The Factor and tired, is not as big of an accomplishment as everyone is giving him.

Plenty of horses have done this in the past, i.e. Mr. Hot Stuff.
When he comes back in the next stakes at SA, matures, shows that same run home under softer fractions, and still makes up that much ground, then I'll buy in to him.

that's exactly what i think
it wasn't that fast a finish, even adjusted for age
Sswitch and Twirling Candy finished quite a bit faster

funnsss1
02-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Everyone jumping on the racetracks for malfunctioning timers,how about the fact that for the last 20 years or so every race contested in north america is perdetermined and even when horses that where suppose to win cause infractions they are allowed to stand.Seems to me one of the major reasons that racing as we know it is doomed.Its time the betting public take back the racetracks and the big corporations go back to what they know best NOTHING

Greyfox
02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
how about the fact that for the last 20 years or so every race contested in north america is perdetermined and even when horses that where suppose to win cause infractions they are allowed to stand.

That is just plain "nuts."

joanied
02-21-2011, 12:58 PM
I thought Sway Away looked awesome and had a very strong gallop out...but, another very lightly raced colt that we'll see later on in the year...IMO.

I beleive we'll see The Factor in the BC Dirt Mile:) ...as for the Derby, I doubt it...unless Baffert thinks he can carry his speed wire to wire for 1 1/4 mile:eek: ...but he's so lightly raced, I really think Baffert will keep him out of the Derby.