PDA

View Full Version : newbie FCR question

brakenmamaiden
02-19-2011, 05:42 PM
OK first off, I'mglad tobe here and have a lot to learn, so I will thank you all in advance as you will teach me lots more than I will you.

As with all newbies, I have the perfunctory "how can I get rich quick and easy" type of question.....I kid, but it sort of is the case. If Iam breaking protocol in any way, I apologize, but my questionis sincere and I am not a shill or I wouldn't be asking this question. I just figure why reinvent the wheel if I dont have too, and save some $$$ in the process.

I have been a subscriber to FCR for a while now. More because the monthly cost was reasonable and I dont have to input into software and stuf....you know-do actual work, lol.

Seriously, for the life of me though, and after a few grand in losses, i cant find out how to best use these reports and have consistent success. I have had some ups, downs and lucky breaks, but with the 100 or so ways they tell you you can win, I haven't found it. I have backtested ad-nauseum....top4 4, form, days since, ELR points etc--to no avail. I have long believed that any type of handicapper that sells his stuff is making their money from the sale....NOT their picks, BUT there is a hell of a lot of information in those reports, I have had a few bright moments with them, but as a relatively smart guy that has put in the time....I just cant find the holy grail with these damn things.

Anyone have any insight about these? If they are worthless you will be really helping. BTW, I play offshore so sharing any secrets will not affect the pari pools ;-).

Thanks again in advance.

Grits
02-19-2011, 07:41 PM
but as a relatively smart guy that has put in the time....I just cant find the holy grail with these damn things.

I'm sorry, but, first, you have to understand, and admit, no, you haven't put in the time. What you have done is bought into someone else's "sell", attempting to find golden opportunities for gains. And yes, you're wanting to "get rich, quick and easy". And without the dedication, the patience and the time it takes to learn this game, having taken an easy route, by your purchase of someone else's handicapping plan, you're losing a good deal of money.

You, alone, can turn this around. If you want to.

As the old saying goes, "how bad do you want it?"

The learning curve is intense, but you will be more proud of your accomplishments when you, and you alone, have achieved them through your own study and desire to succeed. There is a world of information, of handicapping data, books, tutorials, etc available. Ones that explain and teach the game, instead of touting generated picks.

Going forward . . . wishing you much good luck. And too, welcome to Pace Advantage. Just landing, here, opens your eyes to a world of handicapping information and knowledge.

thaskalos
02-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Seriously, for the life of me though, and after a few grand in losses, i cant find out how to best use these reports and have consistent success. I have had some ups, downs and lucky breaks, but with the 100 or so ways they tell you you can win, I haven't found it. I have backtested ad-nauseum....top4 4, form, days since, ELR points etc--to no avail. I have long believed that any type of handicapper that sells his stuff is making their money from the sale....NOT their picks, BUT there is a hell of a lot of information in those reports, I have had a few bright moments with them, but as a relatively smart guy that has put in the time....I just cant find the holy grail with these damn things.

Anyone have any insight about these?

My friend, here is some advice from someone who has paid dearly for his mistakes:

I know that you were kidding about the "get rich quick" part, but do yourself a favor and never underestimate the difficulty of this game. As Grits already stated, there is a steep learning curve associated with this sport...and the "mathematics" which govern it make it the toughest game in the world to beat. If all it took to win was the purchase of some online reports, wouldn't there be a lot more winning horseplayers around than there are currently?

Also...resist the temptation to bet serious money when using any newly purchased products until you have tried them out on paper, and have proven to yourself that these products can be put to profitable use. It may shock you to discover that some suppliers of handicapping literature like to exaggerate the effectiveness of their products.

BombsAway Bob
02-20-2011, 12:19 AM
My friend, here is some advice from someone who has paid dearly for his mistakes:

I know that you were kidding about the "get rich quick" part, but do yourself a favor and never underestimate the difficulty of this game. As Grits already stated, there is a steep learning curve associated with this sport...and the "mathematics" which govern it make it the toughest game in the world to beat. If all it took to win was the purchase of some online reports, wouldn't there be a lot more winning horseplayers around than there are currently?

Also...resist the temptation to bet serious money when using any newly purchased products until you have tried them out on paper, and have proven to yourself that these products can be put to profitable use. It may shock you to discover that some suppliers of handicapping literature like to exaggerate the effectiveness of their products.
your last comment reminds me of a scene from "Two & A Half Men", when Alan & Candy are at a repair shop.. Repairman:"May i ask how much you paid for the car?" Candy:"$750." Repairman:"$750? i hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but i'm afraid that someone has taken advantage of your good nature." Candy:"That happens to me ALL the Time!"

Robert Goren
02-20-2011, 12:25 AM
If you want get rich quickly and easily, you have come to the wrong place.
If you want to go broke fast, you have found the right sport.
There is a reason for the saying "All horseplayers die broke." The "all" is a bit of an overstatement, but not much of one.
There are plenty of people on this forum who share what you shouldn't be doing, but none will give away their time proven, sure fire secrets to wealth if they have any.

appistappis
02-20-2011, 01:02 AM
I've been at this for over 35 years and still learn new things every day. Tip #1, look for vulnerabe favorite's and try to beat them.

JustRalph
02-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Remember who you are playing against, and what tools they are using.

You are playing against the crowd. Including the guys on this board.

Start reading........ first step on a long journey

GaryG
02-20-2011, 07:21 AM
Start reading........ first step on a long journeyThat is good advice. You are trying to jump in at the quarter pole and get the prize with only a token effort. It is a whole lot harder than that. There are several threads here that discuss the merits of handicapping authors.

Overlay
02-20-2011, 08:35 AM
Tip #1, look for vulnerabe favorite's and try to beat them.

I would agree. You not only have to find winners, but you also have to beat the price by having those winners return enough to compensate for your inevitable losers. I would just extend the comment about vulnerable favorites to say, look for horses in any odds range (which means keeping the entire field -- including favorites -- in view) that have a better chance of winning than their odds are giving them credit for (however you choose to determine that -- intuitively, quantitatively, or otherwise).

brakenmamaiden
02-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback so far guys. I never really expected to jump right in a winner and know the work it takes to win at this game. I'm sure I'll learn alot from being here over time and will do some serious paper playing and backtesting before I burn any more real cash. As with Rodney Dangerfield this game is sending me "Back to School" before I can even start dreaming about "Easy Money" .

Cheers

atlasaxis
02-21-2011, 03:09 PM
FCR has over 300 instuctional videos they offer in using the reports successfully. They average about 10 minutes each and VERY worth the time you put into viewing them.