PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs

sq764
10-14-2003, 10:36 PM
One thing I do know..

If its the Marlins and Yanks, I will not have any desire to watch even one inning of one game..

Valuist
10-14-2003, 11:07 PM
I give the Cubs NO CHANCE of winning Wednesday. Losses like tonight carry over; teams that are feeling sorry for themselves don't cash many tickets.

As a Cub fan, I hate to admit it, but it really was the ultimate irony tonight. The Cubs do everything they can to cultivate the Lincoln Park-yuppie crowd, and a couple end up interfering with a likely out which opens the floodgates for an 8 run inning. The Tribune company doesn't care; they've gotten their ticket sales and concessions, and the post season appearance kept the interest level high.

The media had been talking about a possible choke ever since the Cubs went up 3-1. Most of the Cubs were young kids in 1984, when they let the series vs SD slip away. The players now weren't aware of it before but the media has shoved it down their throats so much, the players are now fully aware of it.

sq764
10-14-2003, 11:10 PM
I think the cubbies got a little too complasive during the game.. Prior and Wood can only carry them so far..

The are on borrowed time as it is.. But I will root for them tomorrow.

Dave Schwartz
10-14-2003, 11:14 PM
Valuist,

I agree with your assessment but there is one element to consider... Dusty Baker. This guy ius typically so well-respected that the players MIGHT really listen to him. Hopefully, he can bring them around for tomorrow.

One can only hope.

Dave

Valuist
10-14-2003, 11:18 PM
Dave-

Dusty is the best. Nobody is better at people skills than him. But as good as Wood has been, he wasn't as sharp Friday night. About the only positive for them is the closer Borowski wasn't used and Flordia threw everything but the kitchen sink to the mound. Redman is very solid; he will be tough tomorrow.

WINMANWIN
10-14-2003, 11:23 PM
The Billy Goat curse just may hold true, As that cub fan who interfered with ALOU may have cost them the series. Obviously
Alou would have caught the ball, and registered a BIG OUT in
that situation.The upmires non-call OF INTERFERNCE WAS A GOOD CALL IN MY OPINION, As the ball was border line. My Gripe with the fan is, How can one interfere with there player, knowing that it's a vital Out and it's the Playoffs :confused: I dont wanna hear bout EMOTION, :rolleyes: If i'm an avid CUB fan and I'm sitting were the interference happens, I have my arms spread-out so Nobody catches the ball EXCEPT ALOU. If the fan doesn't intefere with ALOU, Alou gives him 10 balls.

Valuist
10-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Winmanwin-

The problem is so many people there aren't real fans. You have the rich "be seen" crowd who pay $500/ticket and then you have the yuppies who go there to get drunk. What you're saying makes perfect sense but sense doesn't always prevail at Wrigley.

Thank God the Breeders Cup is coming to take my mind off this meltdown.

wes
10-15-2003, 09:18 AM
It seems that no one saw the boot the short-stop made that would have produced a double play. That play is what cost them the game. Not the play where the fan got in the way. They also walked two that becomes runs also. There was two chances for outs also that they passed up. Play the whole game not one play.

wes

WINMANWIN
10-15-2003, 04:27 PM
I beleive if Alou catches the foul ball, and is not interfered with, There are 2 outs with a runner on 1st and the score is still 3 to 0
cubs. After the ALou fould ball fiasco, The Cub pitcher struck out the batter, but the ball went by the catcher, and the batter ran to 1st and runners were on 1st and 2nd. Granted the shortstop booted a grounder to contribute to the debacle, but If the fan
was truely A Cub Fan, this series may have ended last Nite.......
BTW WES, are you related to that supposed CUB FAN.....:confused:

Dan Montilion
10-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Dusty Baker was unable to put the Frisco Giants back on the right mental frame after game six of last years series. Perhaps he has gone to school off of that debacle. One huge difference between the two situations is Wood for the Cubs vs. Livan Hernadez for last year Giants.

With all of that said is not all of this simply mute. Seeing how Yankees are already making room for another trophy?

Dan Montilion

cj
10-15-2003, 06:08 PM
Give it a rest WIN, you can't blame the fan. He didn't reach onto the field and was looking up. He had no idea Alou was there. Also, he was far from the only one trying for the ball, he just happened to be the one it came to while others missed. They were definitely reaching. Not to mention there is no way to know if Alou would have actually caught the ball. Blame the guy that is paid to catch a routine grounder. They don't come any easier than that one. Big, high, slow hop. No excuse, choke job!

That's why you are the CUBS!