PDA

View Full Version : Coa, Meier in Hospital after falls

Southieboy
02-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Jockey Eibar Coa fractured the cervical-4 vertebra in his neck in a spill that occurred just past the finish line in Friday’s sixth race at Gulfstream Park, according to his former agent, Matt Muzikar. Coa was scheduled to undergo surgery Friday evening at Memorial East Hospital in Hollywood.

Muzikar said from the hospital that Coa, 38, was conscious and speaking to him just before being prepped for surgery. He said Coa told him “he hasn’t had any movement in his arms or legs yet.”

http://www.drf.com/news/coa-fractures-vertebra-neck-after-spill-gulfstream

Brandon Meier was transported to Loyola Medical Center following an accident in Friday’s second race at Hawthorne Race Course. Meier had a CT scan which showed no bleeding on the brain. He will be moved to an ICU. Doctors are waiting on xRay results for back, hip and shoulder.

toussaud
02-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Best wishes

Stillriledup
02-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Prayers to both of these men and their families.

PhantomOnTour
02-19-2011, 02:20 AM
Unfortunately i was watching HAW and saw the spill involving Meier. It was about the worst one-horse accident I've ever seen. Meier hit the ground very hard and his mount flipped onto the inner rail on his back & wound up between the dirt and turf rails...scary. I refused to watch the replay.

Best of luck to both Coa and Meier.

Jasonm921
02-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Not good. Hope for the best.

Shelby
02-19-2011, 10:26 AM
I so hate that this happened. :( Prayers for the jockeys and their families.

Beachbabe
02-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Whatever money these guys and gals make isn't enough.

Best wishes for full recoveries for both.

Golf and Horses
02-19-2011, 01:03 PM
TVG is reporting that Coa has "feeling" but no movement yet. Hopefully that is a sign things are headed in a positive direction. Best wishes and prayers to both.

FiveWide
02-19-2011, 03:38 PM
HRTV has reported via Coa's agent that he has movement, after surgery, in his hands or arms and that the doctors were encouraged...I can't remember exactly if it was hands only, arms only or both. Nonetheless, some positive news.

-Five

Stillriledup
02-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Great news Fiver, that's encouraging no doubt.

FiveWide
02-19-2011, 04:00 PM
HRTV has reported via Coa's agent that he has movement, after surgery, in his hands or arms and that the doctors were encouraged...I can't remember exactly if it was hands only, arms only or both. Nonetheless, some positive news.

-Five

To substitute my bad memory, here is an update from GP website.

"
Coa Out Of Surgery (http:///racing/race-info/news/coa-out-surgery)

02/19/2011

HALLANDALE BEACH, FL – Jockey Eibar Coa underwent approximately six hours of surgery Saturday at Memorial Regional Hospital on his C4 vertebrae, which was broken in a spill following the finish of Friday’s sixth race.

Family spokesperson Tito Fuentes, Coa’s agent, said Coa came out of the surgery well and was able to move his hands.

“After the operation the doctors said they were encouraged,” Fuentes said. “He was moving his hands, and that’s a great sign.”

Terry Meyocks, National Manager of the Jockeys’ Guild, added; “Eibar had some feeling (Friday) night as well. So we’re hoping he will continue improving.”

"

-Five

Grits
02-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Whatever money these guys and gals make isn't enough.

Best wishes for full recoveries for both.

Words more true, never spoken, Beach.

Prayers for both jocks, and their families.

pktruckdriver
02-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Well here is the latest I think...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/614781-eibar-coa-improves-following-surgery-on-c-4-vertebrae

Being able to move arms and legs, must we not forget how really dangerous this sport is.

Good Luck Eibar

Here's to full recovery

point given
02-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Well here is the latest I think...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/614781-eibar-coa-improves-following-surgery-on-c-4-vertebrae

Being able to move arms and legs, must we not forget how really dangerous this sport is.

Good Luck Eibar

Here's to full recovery

I wish Eibar the very best in his recovery, maybe I missed it but the article didnot say anything about movement of his legs, only arms.

Grits
02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/more-surgery-eibar-coa

Prayers for Eibar.

Grits
02-25-2011, 07:20 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/coa-has-some-movement-feet-feeling-body

CryingForTheHorses
02-25-2011, 07:47 PM
We had the pleasure of Coa riding 3 horses for us and winning two on my old warriors.It is a horrible thing that has happened to him. We live 5 mins away from MH in Hollywood and want to visit him but we feel like we may be intruding. Lisa and Eibor are friends and he will come and breeze a horse for us anytime.He wins on cheap claimers and rides them as hard is if he was in the breeders cup.He is also a compassionate rider for his horses.I have a great pic of him wearing my silks winning on my old horse.God speed in your healing Eibar...Get well soon

cj's dad
02-25-2011, 08:17 PM
We had the pleasure of Coa riding 3 horses for us and winning two on my old warriors.It is a horrible thing that has happened to him. We live 5 mins away from MH in Hollywood and want to visit him but we feel like we may be intruding. Lisa and Eibor are friends and he will come and breeze a horse for us anytime.He wins on cheap claimers and rides them as hard is if he was in the breeders cup.He is also a compassionate rider for his horses.I have a great pic of him wearing my silks winning on my old horse.God speed in your healing Eibar...Get well soon

Excellent post !! Your feelings are well expressed !

Shelby
02-25-2011, 08:20 PM

I bet he and his family would love to have a visit from you! He sounds like a wonderful person and I hope and pray that he'll be back on his feet in no time. This update sounds like good news and, as horrid as his injuries are, it seems like he's making progress quickly--although I'm sure it seems like eons for him. Tell him we're all thinking and praying for him if you get to visit.

Striker
02-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Jim Miller, Asst. GM at Hawthorne, said today that Meier is at home and had no broken bones after tests were performed on him.

Shelby
02-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Jim Miller, Asst. GM at Hawthorne, said today that Meier is at home and had no broken bones after tests were performed on him.

That's great news!

Grits
02-25-2011, 09:18 PM

Tom McS, go and see your friend. You may be truly astounded at how grateful he is to see you and Lisa step into the doorway of his hospital room.

Where he is now, he needs to see those like you, those who care about him, those that will comfort him, reassure him, and give him hope. Instill confidence to his spirit that he will recover. That he will come back to a full life, playing a vital part in thoroughbred racing. It may not be riding; that is yet to be known. Still, there's much other work in the industry. He's always been harding working and dedicated.

Prayers, still, for Eibar.

FenceBored
03-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Nice gesture from the connections of Mucho Macho Man.
Dean Reeves, principal owner of Kentucky Derby hopeful Mucho Macho Man, presented injured jockey Eibar Coa a check for $18,000 Thursday night at Memorial East Regional Hospital in Hollywood, Fla. The sum is the equivalent to the winning rider’s share for Mucho Macho Man’s recent victory in the Grade 2 Risen Star at the Fair Grounds.
-- http://www.drf.com/news/injured-jockey-coa-gets-18000-check-owner-mucho-macho-man

Shelby
03-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Nice gesture from the connections of Mucho Macho Man.Dean Reeves, principal owner of Kentucky Derby hopeful Mucho Macho Man, presented injured jockey Eibar Coa a check for $18,000 Thursday night at Memorial East Regional Hospital in Hollywood, Fla. The sum is the equivalent to the winning rider’s share for Mucho Macho Man’s recent victory in the Grade 2 Risen Star at the Fair Grounds.
-- http://www.drf.com/news/injured-jockey-coa-gets-18000-check-owner-mucho-macho-man

This made me cry. What a great thing to do.

CryingForTheHorses
03-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Tom McS, go and see your friend. You may be truly astounded at how grateful he is to see you and Lisa step into the doorway of his hospital room.

Where he is now, he needs to see those like you, those who care about him, those that will comfort him, reassure him, and give him hope. Instill confidence to his spirit that he will recover. That he will come back to a full life, playing a vital part in thoroughbred racing. It may not be riding; that is yet to be known. Still, there's much other work in the industry. He's always been harding working and dedicated.

Lisa went to visit him tonite.I am currently in Tampa for a race tomorrow so I couldnt go.Ill go see him early next week.

nijinski
03-04-2011, 09:08 PM
The awful accidents and spills are a harsh reminder of how much
danger these athletes can face daily and I hope that built in bravery and
determination helps Coa to a full and speedy recovery. He and his family are in my prayers.

CryingForTheHorses
03-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Hey Grits,I went to see Eibar tonite,Just got home!!!..YOU were right, He was happy to see me!!! What a guy on a mission,He can now move both his legs,Has all his feeling back and was in a very jovial mood.He has had a ton of visitiors and has get well cards and pics of horses that he has rode on his wall in his room.He has been moved from Hollywood Hospital and is now in rehab just down the road from me.I told him of the PA site and about all the well wishers on here.He was smiling and talking up a storm and had several other people there to see him.His mother has been at his side also.I am very encouraged at his progress as he asked Lisa if he was better today then last week.She says he has made leaps and bounds since she last saw him last fri nite.Im glad for him.Hoping for the best for you Eibar.

Stillriledup
03-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Hey Grits,I went to see Eibar tonite,Just got home!!!..YOU were right, He was happy to see me!!! What a guy on a mission,He can now move both his legs,Has all his feeling back and was in a very jovial mood.He has had a ton of visitiors and has get well cards and pics of horses that he has rode on his wall in his room.He has been moved from Hollywood Hospital and is now in rehab just down the road from me.I told him of the PA site and about all the well wishers on here.He was smiling and talking up a storm and had several other people there to see him.His mother has been at his side also.I am very encouraged at his progress as he asked Lisa if he was better today then last week.She says he has made leaps and bounds since she last saw him last fri nite.Im glad for him.Hoping for the best for you Eibar.

Great stuff, this is awesome news! Thanks for sharing.

precocity
03-09-2011, 07:54 PM
TVG is reporting that Coa has "feeling" but no movement yet. Hopefully that is a sign things are headed in a positive direction. Best wishes and prayers to both.
:ThmbUp: pull threw chop chop :ThmbUp:

freddymo
03-09-2011, 08:10 PM
:ThmbUp: pull threw chop chop :ThmbUp:

HUH?

Pace Cap'n
03-09-2011, 09:22 PM
HUH?

Must have been thinking of Chavez.

freddymo
03-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Must have been thinking of Chavez.

Ya Think because he didnt

precocity
03-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Ya Think because he didnt
:confused: my bad was thinking chavez good to hear coa doing better..

nijinski
03-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Glad to hear of Coa's improvement !!!!

Grits
03-09-2011, 10:47 PM

TomMcS, this is wonderful news. So good to read. Knew he'd be glad to see you, and Lisa, too. Spirit and determination carries one far in a recovery like this one. Prayers go on for Eibar.

point given
03-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Coa Moving all arms and legs now.

http://www.drf.com/news/coa-slowly-regaining-movement-arms-legs

JustRalph
03-16-2011, 10:46 PM
and they dismissed the Domestic violence charges against him too.

I wonder why?

He must have had some damn good Doctors. I figured he was toast. Good for him.

point given
03-28-2011, 05:34 PM
eibar coa takes his first steps since his accident. Video.

http://www.drf.com/news/eibar-coa-takes-first-steps-riding-accident

Grits
03-28-2011, 05:59 PM
A benefit golf tournament for Coa is to be held on Tuesday at the Woodmont Country Club in Tamarac, Fla. Coa said he is hoping to be able to attend.

“I am going to ask the doctor for permission to go this evening,” said Coa. “The big problem is that the special wheelchair I’m using doesn’t fold, so finding suitable transportation will be the big problem. But if I can get there, I really would love to attend.”

This makes one's heart beat with gladness!!! Something tells me, Eibar and Rebecca will have no problem finding transportation for his wheelchair. No problem whatsoever.

Point Given, thanks for sharing.

CryingForTheHorses
03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
eibar coa takes his first steps since his accident. Video.

http://www.drf.com/news/eibar-coa-takes-first-steps-riding-accident

Lisa visited him last thurs,She has pics on her phone of him walking...Its just the best thing!!!

nijinski
03-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Lisa visited him last thurs,She has pics on her phone of him walking...Its just the best thing!!!

If you friend Joe Bravo on facebook , he has a full lenfth photo with Coa and friends and he really looks great , it's from around 3/22 on his wall.

Grits
03-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Also on FaceBook, there is the page:

Eibar Coa Get Well Card

Its a nice one, please send Eibar a note. ;-)

Shelby
03-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Oh wow!! Great to hear!!!

Grits
03-30-2011, 09:31 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/coa-walks-join-friends-golf-benefit

:) :) :) :) :) E-I-B-A-R :) :) :) :) :)

Two smiles for each letter of this man's name. This is incredible.

Shelby
03-30-2011, 10:04 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/coa-walks-join-friends-golf-benefit

:) :) :) :) :) E-I-B-A-R :) :) :) :) :)

Two smiles for each letter of this man's name. This is incredible.

He's amazing!

Jockeys are in such tremendous physical shape and they work so hard.

I hope he's able to ride again soon!

Striker
06-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Brandon Meier back in the saddle racing today at Arlington.