PDA

View Full Version : Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe?

ZephyrHawk
02-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Anyone here ever attend the Arc and willing to share about their experience?

I'm going to be in Paris next fall during that time and I'd like to add Longchamp to my list of famous racetracks I've visited and the Arc to my list of famous races I've attended. It seems as if they do sell tickets at the gate on the day of for 8E or so, but I'd like to confirm that. Also, are they likely to run out of tickets early? Is there any way I could book online (without going through a package deal)? Can anyone tell me about the kind of view (if any) you get with a last minute general admission ticket? About what time does the race usually run? Finally, how exactly does one go about betting in France (especially if one took Spanish in school)?

Thanks!

Native Texan III
02-18-2011, 07:01 PM
http://www.arc-de-triomphe.net/tickets.html

Gives you the info.
No problem to buy on the day but above gives a link to book.
Arc starts at 16:40 hours
There are more English than French there.

Some info on PMU.
http://www.french-property.com/reference/PMU-france/

If you have no French then write your bet on a piece of paper and show the teller. Queues are long and payouts slow.

RJason
02-18-2011, 08:11 PM
You are in for a treat. The whole day is packed with Group 1 races and the pomp and circumstance before and after the ARC is great - if possible, get yourself a decent seat and get there early - your access will be restricted by the type of ticket you buy...

Crowd gets very dressed up, and it's a full-on, all-day party...weather usually cool that time of year so beware - about 50/50 to rain a little.

Betting is not easy - tellers not the friendliest - writing it down and giving to the teller is a good idea....you can bet exactas and tris but again, a little tricky....the programs are helpful with wagering language....

They have shuttle buses running from one of the Metro stops nearby and they are efficient - pretty easy way to get in and out and also to meet fellow racegoers - everyone is in a good mood that day...

Longchamp is about 20 min from the center of Paris in the big park - the Bois de Bolougne.

Pay special attention to anything trained by Andre Fabre, bred by Juddmonte or ridden by C. Soumillion...and you can get the Arc card figures from Thoro-Graph online, which is VERY helpful considering the lack of solid info available in the local "Paris Turf" - Racing Post is best over there.

Humph
02-20-2011, 03:47 PM
There is a special reserve area around the paddock , the side furthest away from the stands . To get in there you need a pass . If you don't have a pass you can still get in but you'll need two things : a decent suit and nerve - just breeze in acting as though you're a somebody and the security people there usually don't bother you , . Once in you'll see anybody who's anybody in Euro racing , good views of the horses , the Paris elite and many stunningly beautiful women, the like of which you don't see on a wet Monday at Suffolk .

But if you're not interested in the above and you want to dress casually , don't worry , you don't have to dress up if you don't want to . Yes , many people do make a real effort but an equal number don't bother.

Also, if you're planning to be in the stands to watch the big race, such are the crowds, don't expect to see too much if you try to find a decent spot 5 minutes before the off ( I did this once and ended up having to take the tunnel under the track to watch the race from the inside rail). Take your place early and the view is good.

As for tickets , they are pretty cheap and you can buy them on the gate without fear of not getting in . Just get there before the first race and you'll be fine - the crowd tends to build during the card , starting off being not that bad to being pretty crammed by the time the big race comes round . But it's a large venue so big crowds are no problem.

And Native Texan is right , the English attend in their thousands . Quite a few Irish go too

ZephyrHawk
02-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the responses guys!

I'm not sure whether I'll be going all out (I'm supposed to see Versailles that day too!), but I'm gonna do my best to be there.