PDA

View Full Version : I have some questions

HUSKER55
02-18-2011, 09:03 AM
When do labor contracts end?
Can an employer can go to the open makret and say no to unions?

Tom
02-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Unions and government have conspired to allow unions to restrict your right to work and not join a union. It is the only way unions have been able to grow - intimidation and unfair advantages.

Look at Wisconsin.....they are denying students their education for their own person goals.

HUSKER55
02-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Correct, but doesn't a contract have to have an out for both parties to be legal?

lamboguy
02-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Unions and government have conspired to allow unions to restrict your right to work and not join a union. It is the only way unions have been able to grow - intimidation and unfair advantages.

Look at Wisconsin.....they are denying students their education for their own person goals.
right on, but just one on many problems we face in out world today.

newtothegame
02-18-2011, 09:22 AM
In most cases....(at least ones I know of, the union membership has to vote them out. same way they get in...by votes. The company has to agree to allow the voting to take place on a predetermined announced day.
If you look at the current bill that Harry reid would like to get passed about card check will explain a bit more if your really interested.
the law im referring to is known as EFCA...
Employee free choice act...
But, there is nothing really free about it. Unions used to have to get "cards" signed in order to force a company to have a vote....
The bill is proposing that if you were to sign a card that would count as your vote. Unions need a majority of votes to get in and it would be a minimum of three years before a vote to remove the union could take place. I think it currently stands at one year now.

eastie
02-18-2011, 09:28 AM
When do labor contracts end?
Can an employer can go to the open makret and say no to unions?

he can try, but he will lose. Unions protect the worker. They are what made America number one. If not for unions people would be working 14 hour days for minimum wage....You get what you pay for, union wages mean a job well done, not half ass-ed.

newtothegame
02-18-2011, 09:36 AM
he can try, but he will lose. Unions protect the worker. They are what made America number one. If not for unions people would be working 14 hour days for minimum wage....You get what you pay for, union wages mean a job well done, not half ass-ed.
lol is that with or without video games on the job?? maybe a little weed out back while building cars?? lol Your a funny guy eastie!
Now again,I do understand thats not all union members.....problem is though,because of protecting the unions, a company cant get rid of the bad apples either!

boxcar
02-18-2011, 09:41 AM

I love your tag line. The first half is spot-on, given your post. And from your post, the second half is equally on the mark, as I really don't care to know how little you do know. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

newtothegame
02-18-2011, 09:43 AM

Wow...after reading more of your post, I have to add more too...
Can you please provide a link of a US based company that works it employees under those conditions in the private sector?

Tom
02-18-2011, 10:09 AM
You get what you pay for, union wages mean a job well done, not half ass-ed.

:lol::lol:, man, that made my day!

mostpost
02-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Wow...after reading more of your post, I have to add more too...
Can you please provide a link of a US based company that works it employees under those conditions in the private sector?
I will answer that one. (hope Eastie doesn't mind) The answer is no, because we have laws against such things. Laws that were passed because unions fought for them. Laws that were fought tooth and nail by businesses which claimed those laws would destroy their business and cause them to fold. It didn't happen then; it won't happen now.
The only thing keeping those laws on the books is the strength of unions. We have already seen the agenda of the newest generation of Republicans in Wisconsin. Destroy the unions. Once the unions are destroyed they will start to roll back the progress that has been made. First eliminate the minimum wage. Then eliminate overtime. Then eliminate ceilings on how much an employee can be made to work in a day. Then lower the minimum age for a worker. I guarantee these things will happen.

Not all business owners will do these things, but many will. The others will be forced to follow suit or lose their business. Fear will force them to do so. These laws balance the playing field.

PhantomOnTour
02-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Aren't the tellers at the Kentucky racetracks unionized? I don't know if it's due to their union, but the tellers in Kentucky are BY FAR the best, quickest, nicest, and professional tellers I have ever dealt with.

Now, back to your union talk....

Tom
02-18-2011, 11:00 AM
I will answer that one. (hope Eastie doesn't mind) The answer is no, because we have laws against such things. Laws that were passed because unions fought for them. Laws that were fought tooth and nail by businesses which claimed those laws would destroy their business and cause them to fold. It didn't happen then; it won't happen now.

Yup. So there is no longer a need for unions - we have the government and the labor board and Uncle Sugar to take care of us all.

Thanks, Unions, don't let the Board Room door hit you in the arse on your way out.

Robert Goren
02-18-2011, 11:22 AM
If want to see what happens when unions are broken, you don't have look any further than the meat packing industry. Until the middle 1980s union were common there. Meat recalls were unheard of. You could eat raw or meat with relative safety. You could actually eat a hamburger with a red or pink center. Then they broke the unions. Now days meat recalls are common place. You be a fool to eat a hamburger with a pink center. The plants are run by people who don't speak a word of English and don't care whether the product is safe or not. The estimate cost saving to comsumer is about 30 cent a pound.

mostpost
02-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Yup. So there is no longer a need for unions - we have the government and the labor board and Uncle Sugar to take care of us all.

Thanks, Unions, don't let the Board Room door hit you in the arse on your way out.
You are a perfect rightie. By leaving out the last half of my post, you changed its meaning completely. To reiterate, I said we need the unions to KEEP the rights we fought so hard for.

delayjf
02-18-2011, 04:58 PM
To reiterate, I said we need the unions to KEEP the rights we fought so hard for.

How does busting a union role back federal / state labor law?

If want to see what happens when unions are broken, you don't have look any further than the meat packing industry.
Not sure, but meat recalls may have more to do with an increase in food regulations ( not necessarily a bad thing) then an actual decline in the safety of the meat coming out of the plants.

Union labor certainly has not lead to a higher standard of qualifty within the US auto industry. I don't see where union labor has an affect one way or another in terms of quality. On one hand the quality of non-union foreign auto's has surpassed US auto manufactors for decades, than again, I would not buy tools (made in china) from places like auto zone or Kragen. They don't come near the quality of tools manufactored in the US like craftman (made with union labor).

boxcar
02-18-2011, 05:19 PM
...than again, I would not buy tools (made in china) from places like auto zone or Kragen. They don't come near the quality of tools manufactored in the US like craftman (made with union labor).

Yeah, but more importantly to company specifications. It's not the labor that makes for a quality tool; ultimately, it's the company's standards. And if workers can't or won't make items to specifications, they can be replaced by others who will.

Boxcar

Teach
02-18-2011, 06:04 PM
As a former teacher for over thirty-five years, I found teachers' unions to be a blessing (I was active as a member of the executive board and as a grievance chairman).

I will begin by saying that I found - over the years - very few inept teaching colleagues. Most teachers went "the extra mile." They took pride in their work. They did their best
for the children.

Why do we need unions (most teachers' unions are called associations)? Because, when you're dealing with your superiors, e.g., superintendents, administrators and principals (the aforementioned three have their own separate union) department heads, etc. favoritism, nepotism, even color of skin, ethnicity and religion can rear its ugly head and tilt the playing field. Do you think that if I rub a higher-up the wrong way, they can't go after me, make your life miserable, try to get you transferred, etc. If we didn't have unions, management would enjoy a dictatorship. They could do pretty much what they wanted. Years ago, workers were blacklisted. If you were fired from one steel mill, say for trying to organize a union, you would be blacklisted from all other steel mills. If you got hurt, tough cookies. You're out of work because of work-related incident, no compensation. Your family would suffer.

As an aside, I remember at one auto assembly plant in this country management, accidentally or otherwise speeded up the assembly-line process; it was later discovered. There was justifiable compensation. Without unions, do you think the workers would have received additional fair payment.

In teaching, without a contract, they could give you extra duties, fill your classes with the inordinate numbers of students (not very educationally sound), not provide you with the necessary materials to do your job effectively.

When I was teaching, the only thing that could get you fired for would be moral turpitude, i.e., sexual encounter with student. That rarely happened.

Unions protect all workers, but particularly workers who aren't tied in with the administration (some of these cozy workers even provide information, sometimes false, about their colleagues).

In a perfect world, no one need fear. No one needs protection. But, we don't live in a perfect world, nor will we ever. There are "animals with clothes on" out there. Narrow-minded, sadistic, power-hungry people who can abuse their positions. Teachers, workers, etc. must have protection: Contracts, Grievance procedures, Work Rules, and Collective Bargaining.

If you can read, thank a teacher. I know I thanked many.

delayjf
02-18-2011, 06:28 PM
In teaching, without a contract, they could give you extra duties, fill your classes with the inordinate numbers of students (not very educationally sound), not provide you with the necessary materials to do your job effectively.

The above is exactly what is happening now in CA. Work place politics is everywhere, those in the Private sector deal with it every day. Some how private schools are educating their students without union protection as did public schools prior to their unionization.

This issue now is that city and state employee unions and the pension plans are bankrupting the states and I for on am not willing to pick up the tab.

newtothegame
02-18-2011, 06:36 PM
As a former teacher for over thirty-five years, I found teachers' unions to be a blessing (I was active as a member of the executive board and as a grievance chairman).

I will begin by saying that I found - over the years - very few inept teaching colleagues. Most teachers went "the extra mile." They took pride in their work. They did their best
for the children.

Why do we need unions (most teachers' unions are called associations)? Because, when you're dealing with your superiors, e.g., superintendents, administrators and principals (the aforementioned three have their own separate union) department heads, etc. favoritism, nepotism, even color of skin, ethnicity and religion can rear its ugly head and tilt the playing field. Do you think that if I rub a higher-up the wrong way, they can't go after me, make your life miserable, try to get you transferred, etc. If we didn't have unions, management would enjoy a dictatorship. They could do pretty much what they wanted. Years ago, workers were blacklisted. If you were fired from one steel mill, say for trying to organize a union, you would be blacklisted from all other steel mills. If you got hurt, tough cookies. You're out of work because of work-related incident, no compensation. Your family would suffer.

As an aside, I remember at one auto assembly plant in this country management, accidentally or otherwise speeded up the assembly-line process; it was later discovered. There was justifiable compensation. Without unions, do you think the workers would have received additional fair payment.

When I was teaching, the only thing that could get you fired for would be moral turpitude, i.e., sexual encounter with student. That rarely happened.

In a perfect world, no one need fear. No one needs protection. But, we don't live in a perfect world, nor will we ever. There are "animals with clothes on" out there. Narrow-minded, sadistic, power-hungry people who can abuse their
Unions protect all workers, but particularly workers who aren't tied in with the administration (some of these cozy workers even provide information, sometimes false, about their colleagues).
positions. Teachers, workers, etc. must have protection: Contracts, Grievance procedures, Work Rules, and Collective Bargaining.

"
for the children"

Not saying all teachers are bad...but how do you explain where entire cities are failing. Next, against other countries (such as china india etc etc...how do you explain our serious lacking?) I would think that pay wise, were at the top...yet I would expect the education to be same...no??

"Why do we need unions (most teachers' unions are called associations)? Because, when you're dealing with your superiors, e.g., superintendents, administrators and principals (the aforementioned three have their own separate union) department heads, etc. favoritism, nepotism, even color of skin, ethnicity and religion can rear its ugly head and tilt the playing field"

So, again I will pose the same question....how do non union companies ever survive??? I will agree that AT ONE TIME, unions were an intergral part of society and was needed.....but, justify how that fits in todays society.

"
Unions protect all workers, but particularly workers who aren't tied in with the administration (some of these cozy workers even provide information, sometimes false, about their colleagues)."

Earlier you said that unions protect from discrimination etc etc...and in your directly above bolded statement you say that unions discriminate themselves....gee...isnt that a hypocracy? Pot calling kettle black??

"When I was teaching, the only thing that could get you fired for would be moral turpitude, i.e., sexual encounter with student. That rarely happened."

This is the problem in a nutshell.....there is NO accountability or standards for teachers other then whether or not they are having sexual encounters with their students. teachers do NOT have to worry about performance. This is why our schools have lagged for years.
There does not need to be a meat and clever type of attitude....(which by the way no longer really exist), but there does have to be standards of which our schools are failing badly.
There is a reason private schools out perform public...care to elaborate??

lsbets
02-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Every teacher who called out sick in WI should have to provide a doctors note. Those who cannot should be fired on the spot. Liars have no business teaching children.

Tom
02-18-2011, 08:42 PM
You are a perfect rightie. By leaving out the last half of my post, you changed its meaning completely. To reiterate, I said we need the unions to KEEP the rights we fought so hard for.

Why?
We have laws now.

Tom
02-18-2011, 08:44 PM

Do they have anything withheld when the line is slowed down?

rastajenk
02-18-2011, 09:24 PM
"If you can read, thank a teacher."

I've seen this a lot, especially recently.

It seems to assume that everything that is learned comes from a professional, certified, degreed teacher.

I knew how to read before school, and I taught my son how to read before he started school. So, bullshit.

Tom
02-18-2011, 09:49 PM
A teecher taught me how to spell.

boxcar
02-18-2011, 10:56 PM
"If you can read, thank a teacher."

I've seen this a lot, especially recently.

It seems to assume that everything that is learned comes from a professional, certified, degreed teacher.

I knew how to read before school, and I taught my son how to read before he started school. So, bullshit.

And I was a really quick study, for I knew how to read before I even fully made my exit form the birth canal. :lol:

Boxcar

lsbets
02-18-2011, 11:55 PM

Why? I should thank my mother. All my kids could read before they ever encountered a teacher. Math too. Its amazing what happens when a parent takes their responsibilities to heart. No teacher can fix bad parenting. Kids excel because of their parents.

bigmack
02-19-2011, 01:00 AM
A teecher taught me how to spell.
:lol:

How can people spit on the backs of our beloved teachers like this? What a travesty. :D

By the way, if B.O. is a genius and constantly needs a teleprompter, what is Gov. Walk - Watson from IBM/Jeopardy?

wjg9GSMRlSw

bigmack
02-19-2011, 01:40 AM
Every teacher who called out sick in WI should have to provide a doctors note. Those who cannot should be fired on the spot. Liars have no business teaching children.
Doctors note. :lol:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/baraboo.png

newtothegame
02-19-2011, 01:48 AM

Ls...the UNION I was in , you were allowed (with no discipline) 25% of your scheduled work days "off".
It's in the contracts of union members.....A set number usually in actual days or percentages.
It really is insane...think about that....25%
thats a little over 6 days a month and over 70 days a year WITHOUT reprocussion....
Try missing that in the private sector.....not that I am sure many could afford to miss that much time anyways.

HUSKER55
02-19-2011, 06:51 AM
The neighbors schools their kids at home and she is getting a scholarship at Marquette based on her scores.

Several kids I know in the area used to be able to take classes over the internet. They felt they learned more at home doing that, than going to school.

A couple of em come to me at night for help with math. (ok ok,..shocked the hell out of me too. In my defense I got a B+) :D

Time for change.

JustRalph
02-20-2011, 12:41 AM

Here Jeff, you got your wish..........Free excuses for all.......

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/02/19/video-doctors-handing-out-fake-medical-excuses-at-wi-union-protest/

zjFbMDp5Pg8

JustRalph
02-20-2011, 12:57 AM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s129/PeaceNikki72/Doc.jpg

Rumor going around that some of these Doc's were actually working for Andrew Breitbart :lol:

If any were real, I hope they are investigated by the States Medical Board

boxcar
02-20-2011, 07:15 AM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s129/PeaceNikki72/Doc.jpg

Rumor going around that some of these Doc's were actually working for Andrew Breitbart :lol:

If any were real, I hope they are investigated by the States Medical Board

This would be such an easy scam to uncover. Andy wouldn't even be needed. All the state has to do is collect all the notes that, of course, would have to be dated. Then sort the notes by Doctors' names. The presumption would be that each Dr. used his/her own name and have the Dr's name and address printed on it.. Then count the number of "patients" they allegedly examined in one day. An inordinate number of examined patients would betray the fraud. And that number could easily be compared to the average during the course of a normal day and over the course of any given week, let's say.

However, the state should also check the doctors' names carefully on all those notes in case someone's printing press was working overtime banging out notes with phony names on them. Those names could easily be checked against state licensing records.

I hope the Governor uses a sledge hammer on these liars. (Err...'scuse my incivility. :D )

Boxcar

Tom
02-20-2011, 10:55 AM
This is Obama care.
Any doctor doing this should lose his license for mal-practice.
Time for some righties to go undercover and blow the lid off.

ArlJim78
02-20-2011, 11:45 AM
do real doctors wear labcoats to an outdoor protest on a saturday?

HUSKER55
02-20-2011, 01:08 PM
gives new meaning to "back alley doctor" and "ambulance chaser"