PDA

View Full Version : Terry Wallace........WOW

Beachbabe
02-17-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm sure he's a nice guy and may do a lot of things behind the scenes for the good of the track, but sheesh.....just watched and listened to his call of the 2nd race and he called the lead horse (who eventually won) 3 different names before getting it correct, right before the wire.

The guy should step down from race-calling.

PhantomOnTour
02-17-2011, 03:05 PM
He does that kind of thing everyday.
Imagine if he called the Kentucky Derby :D

Jeff P
02-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Hey, I bet the #11 horse at TAM in R5. I must have called the rider and trainer of the #2 horse (who led and eventually won) at least 3 different names both during and after the running of the race. :lol:

-jp

DeanT
02-17-2011, 03:15 PM
I always wondered this and maybe Vic or Peter or Craig might answer: Do announcers only look at the track or do they glance at the feed as well?

The ten was on the feed the whole time (graphics) in the lead.

Grits
02-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Hey, I bet the #11 horse at TAM in R5. I must have called the rider and trainer of the #2 horse (who led and eventually won) at least 3 different names both during and after the running of the race. :lol:

-jp

LOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLl Great one!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert Goren
02-17-2011, 04:58 PM
You can knock Terry all you want, but I am assuming he got it right at least once. The guy that calls CD might get it right all the time for all I know, but I can tell because I can't understand a word that comes out of his mouth. I take will take any day Wallace any day over him.

Peter Berry
02-17-2011, 05:00 PM
I always wondered this and maybe Vic or Peter or Craig might answer: Do announcers only look at the track or do they glance at the feed as well?

I look at the track as often as possible but the TV monitor is required on the clubhouse and home turns at Mountaineer because there are lighting poles blocking the view. I also took at a head-on monitor at the start to identify troublesome horses in the gate and interference directly out of the gate.

toussaud
02-17-2011, 05:01 PM
just 3 times? good day for mr. wallace

DeanT
02-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks Peter!

Stillriledup
02-17-2011, 05:56 PM
Gear up Peter, MTN opens soon!

Peter Berry
02-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Gear up Peter, MTN opens soon!

Two months off is too long. I need a race-calling fix.

cj's dad
02-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Dave Rodman @ Laurel/Pimlico is the best - this guy never and I mean never messes up !!

craigbraddick
02-17-2011, 06:40 PM

Hi Dean:

As Peter said it depends on the track to some degree.

As a rule of thumb, I only look at the monitor when I have to to see a horse. But am following the race through binoculars from the start to the eighth pole when I will eyeball it.

And strangely, I know they are there but I never "see" the numbers on the screen at all when I do steal a peek at the monitor!

And to do that, you have to memorize the silks correctly. We all mess up a name from time to time but you cannot do it regularly and be considered a great Announcer, imo.

Craig.

cj
02-17-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm sure he's a nice guy and may do a lot of things behind the scenes for the good of the track, but sheesh.....just watched and listened to his call of the 2nd race and he called the lead horse (who eventually won) 3 different names before getting it correct, right before the wire.

Based on the thread title, I thought he actually got a call right.

toussaud
02-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Then to add insult to injury, they tease you by letting someone else call the 10th. picture perfect race call.

cj
02-17-2011, 06:43 PM

I've seen several do it and they look at just the track to my knowledge.

ronsmac
02-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Wallace is the worst, no doubt about it.

Valuist
02-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Dave Rodman @ Laurel/Pimlico is the best - this guy never and I mean never messes up !!

That may be true but its a lot easier when the biggest field you call is 6 horses.

JustRalph
02-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Two months off is too long. I need a race-calling fix.

print out a race and turn on TVG.........and get to it........ :lol: :lol:

you don't need an audience ...... :lol:

Lasix67
02-17-2011, 08:24 PM
I really think John Dooley is the best in the biz right now and he is young. Always wondered if he was in line to take over for Durkins once he steps down on as that was his mentor.

v j stauffer
02-17-2011, 08:55 PM

I've probably looked at the moniter 12 times in my career and 10 of them were on the same day. Opening day at the "new" Gulfstream Park they installed glass that was not "optic pane". It grossly distorted the view unless looked through straight on. I called that entire day off the TV.

strapper
02-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Quite frankly I thoroughly enjoy Terry Wallace's calls. I don't care if he makes a mistake or two. The guy is colorful and an OP institution.

Tom
02-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Peter, Vic.....I would have though the monitors would give you a much better look at the colors/numbers. Interesting you prefer the track view.

Peter Berry
02-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Peter, Vic.....I would have though the monitors would give you a much better look at the colors/numbers. Interesting you prefer the track view.

We get a better view through the binoculars. I doubt any non-dishlicker announcers look for numbers during a call.

dylbert
02-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Quite frankly I thoroughly enjoy Terry Wallace's calls. I don't care if he makes a mistake or two. The guy is colorful and an OP institution.or he belongs in an institution... If you enjoy his calls, you may like mystery novels, too.

exiles
02-17-2011, 10:25 PM

He is right up there w/ M.Bataglia and that guy who calls TAMPA, how these clowns have a job calling horse races is beyond me, they must be in w/ the owners of these tracks.

Beachbabe
02-17-2011, 10:29 PM
You can knock Terry all you want, but I am assuming he got it right at least once. The guy that calls CD might get it right all the time for all I know, but I can tell because I can't understand a word that comes out of his mouth. I take will take any day Wallace any day over him.

I'm guessing this sentence means you'll take Wallace over Battaglia "any day".

If that's the best testimonial you have for Wallace, it's not saying much.

I'd prefer a bullet between the eyes over drowning.

strapper
02-17-2011, 10:41 PM
or he belongs in an institution... If you enjoy his calls, you may like mystery novels, too.

I love Dick Francis, as a matter of fact.

Stillriledup
02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Wallace is the worst, no doubt about it.

Not even a modicum of doubt?

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17124&highlight=worst+announcer

Tread
02-17-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm guessing this sentence means you'll take Wallace over Battaglia "any day".

If that's the best testimonial you have for Wallace, it's not saying much.

I'd prefer a bullet between the eyes over drowning.

I'm guessing you have no clue who calls the CD races? There is a fine line on the english accent between charming and annoying. Trevor Denman does a great job but I cannot stand MJ. Makes me miss Luke more and more with every call. Kurt Becker does a good job at Keeneland, it would be nice if he would take over CD too.

PhantomOnTour
02-17-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm guessing you have no clue who calls the CD races? There is a fine line on the english accent between charming and annoying. Trevor Denman does a great job but I cannot stand MJ. Makes me miss Luke more and more with every call. Kurt Becker does a good job at Keeneland, it would be nice if he would take over CD too.
Trevor Denman is from South Africa.

Dahoss2002
02-18-2011, 04:53 AM
Dave Rodman @ Laurel/Pimlico is the best - this guy never and I mean never messes up !! LUV Dave Rodman!! Dave used to call at Louisiana Downs in the mid 80's when I was first starting to get addicted. I hated it when he went to Maryland but I guess it has been good for him. Wallace has worked here also and at Oaklawn since I started betting the ponies. He does blow alot of calls but he has "Joe Paterno tenure" at Oaklawn and a great personality.

strapper
02-18-2011, 07:44 AM
LUV Dave Rodman!! Dave used to call at Louisiana Downs in the mid 80's when I was first starting to get addicted. I hated it when he went to Maryland but I guess it has been good for him. Wallace has worked here also and at Oaklawn since I started betting the ponies. He does blow alot of calls but he has "Joe Paterno tenure" at Oaklawn and a great personality.

I like that line "Joe Paterno tenure"! Also sure like Dave Rodman, too. I remember him from Jefferson Downs as well.

Learned Hand35
02-18-2011, 08:42 AM
He is right up there w/ M.Bataglia and that guy who calls TAMPA, how these clowns have a job calling horse races is beyond me, they must be in w/ the owners of these tracks.

Maybe it is not so much that Terry is "in w/the owner of the track" as much as that through years of hard and multi-faceted work along with exhibition of class, he has become an Arkansas institution:

http://www.arkansassports360.com/11129/10/20/2010

But if deteroriating skills regarding live calls is deserving of the lable "clown" then please, by all means, continue to enlighten us with your well researched and reasoned missives.

forced89
02-18-2011, 09:05 AM
The issue should not be "is Terry the best" or "is Terry over the hill". Rather we should focus on the impact that he has had in bringing crowds to, and creating fans at, Oaklawn.

cj
02-18-2011, 09:20 AM
The issue should not be "is Terry the best" or "is Terry over the hill". Rather we should focus on the impact that he has had in bringing crowds to, and creating fans at, Oaklawn.

Couldn't he do the same thing in another role?

Learned Hand35
02-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Couldn't he do the same thing in another role?

The wording of the press releases regarding the "end of the streak" might lead one to speculate that OP is allowing Terry to gradually and gracefully step-down from his race calling duties, but continue in his other roles.

http://www.oaklawn.com/news/2011/jan/28/oaklawn-track-announcer-terry-wallace-ends-streak-/

delayjf
02-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Terry Wallace will always have a soft spot in my heart from my AK-SAR-BEN days and in his defense, I think he only calls Oaklawn these days.

Maybe Vic and Berry can comment, but I will bet you can get rusty when you've been away for a while. I recall Trevor taking a lot of heat on this board a few years ago for his BC performance - which as I recall was off a layoff.

Peter Berry
02-18-2011, 04:48 PM
Terry Wallace will always have a soft spot in my heart from my AK-SAR-BEN days and in his defense, I think he only calls Oaklawn these days.

Maybe Vic and Berry can comment, but I will bet you can get rusty when you've been away for a while. I recall Trevor taking a lot of heat on this board a few years ago for his BC performance - which as I recall was off a layoff.

It's just like riding a bike. Most races call themselves anyway. A good announcer will just stay out of the way.

Pace Cap'n
02-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Before the advent of simulcasting, TVG, ADW's w/video feeds, etc., it was not so important for an announcer to be a precision race caller.

Terry Wallace for many years called races that were never seen or heard outside of Hot Springs. It's hard to believe, but in those years they had actual crowds at the track. When the horses were coming down the stretch, TW could have been reciting "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and it wouldn't have mattered, because no one could have heard a word he was saying anyway.

Should he be castigated for his perceived shortcomings, which were not even in his original job description? Has anyone ever lost a cent due to a blown call at OP? Personally, I think both answers would be no.

craigbraddick
02-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Wait until exchange wagering comes to the USA. I think the importance race fans will put on accurate racecalling for playing "in running" will suddenly go sky high. it has everywhere else.

Craig

toussaud
02-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Before the advent of simulcasting, TVG, ADW's w/video feeds, etc., it was not so important for an announcer to be a precision race caller.

Terry Wallace for many years called races that were never seen or heard outside of Hot Springs. It's hard to believe, but in those years they had actual crowds at the track. When the horses were coming down the stretch, TW could have been reciting "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and it wouldn't have mattered, because no one could have heard a word he was saying anyway.

Should he be castigated for his perceived shortcomings, which were not even in his original job description? Has anyone ever lost a cent due to a blown call at OP? Personally, I think both answers would be no.
pretty sure that was the 3rd yesterday

toussaud
02-19-2011, 02:10 PM
you here terry's call in the first today lol? He is showing off now.

craigbraddick
02-19-2011, 02:17 PM
you here terry's call in the first today lol? He is showing off now.

He liked My My My Mariiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Craig

v j stauffer
02-19-2011, 02:24 PM

I definately feel rusty coming back from layoffs. Funny thing. The first day always seems to go OK. Adrenaline I guess. After that it takes me a couple weeks to really feel like I'm totally on top of things. At the beginning I always feel like I'm trying to catch up with the action. Once I've got my rythm I feel like I can dictate to the call rather than the race dictating to me. Also seeing horses run back a 2nd time makes memorization much easier.

craigbraddick
02-19-2011, 02:28 PM
I definately feel rusty coming back from layoffs. Funny thing. The first day always seems to go OK. Adrenaline I guess. After that it takes me a couple weeks to really feel like I'm totally on top of things. At the beginning I always feel like I'm trying to catch up with the action. Once I've got my rythm I feel like I can dictate to the call rather than the race dictating to me. Also seeing horses run back a 2nd time makes memorization much easier.

Vic:

Do you have days where for some reason you can memorize in just a snap and other days when nothing seems to stick? I get that and for no reason I can discern. Some days I have it, some days I have to really work at it!

Craig

v j stauffer
02-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Vic:

Do you have days where for some reason you can memorize in just a snap and other days when nothing seems to stick? I get that and for no reason I can discern. Some days I have it, some days I have to really work at it!

Craig

Sure. All kinds of things can contribute to that. How much sleep you got. Feeling stress. Maybe a big race coming later in the day.

What I've learned is don't force it. Even if post time is looming closer and you're panicking because you don't know them. You can't cram the info into your brain. Step away for a few and let your brain asimilate what you've been practicing. You'll find you know them better than you might have thought. Take some long deep breaths and trust that you'll do fine because you have so many times before. By far the two biggest contributors to lousy racecalls are lack of preparation and stress from any source. Both things we can control. Keep up the good work.

Kelso
02-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Vic:
Do you have days where for some reason you can memorize in just a snap and other days when nothing seems to stick?

"What words do you have difficulty pronouncing?"
- Ted Baxter "talking shop" with Walter Cronkite, 1974 :lol:

M Chamberlain
02-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Just a quick thought from me here as well on using monitors during a race call, I recall my monitor in Houston was about a 5" screen on my desk, so it really didn't help even if I chose to look at it. I have only consulted the monitors in any of the announcer's booths I have worked in if there was a timer malfunction on the tote board beacuse the in-house graphics will invariably have the times up on the screen. Otherwise, I have such a great view at Turf Paradise of all the action, I don't use the monitor in my booth.

As for the layoff question, what's a layoff??? At Turf, the season is 156 days long. :D

Honestly, I will have a two-month break between the end of Lincoln Race Course this summer and Turf Paradise starting up again and yes, there is some difficulty shaking off the rust after that kind of break. However, it is almost second nature now to be calling a race after nearly 15 years of doing it, so I like to think that the rust falls away quickly. I don't know if it is that way for the other announcers, but it seems that way for me.

jimmy m
02-20-2011, 03:21 AM
I definitly feel the rust like Terry i think i have one of the longest layoffs between racecalls too my last call was oct 19 and opening day for Prairie is Aprill 22 takes me maybe a couple of races to shake it off.I try never looking at the Moniter i had too a few times last season cause it was raining so hard the Window was completely fogged up.

v j stauffer
02-20-2011, 03:38 AM

Lithotripsy

craigbraddick
02-20-2011, 10:25 AM

Squirrel!

craigbraddick
02-20-2011, 10:27 AM
I might also have a quick glance at the monitor in the home stretch If it is just focused on a runaway leader, I will try and tell people what is going on behind even if they can't see it on the TV.

Craig

andicap
02-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Since we have a good cadre of excellent race-callers on this thread, I was wondering who your calling heroes were earlier in your career? And did you plan on being racecallers or did you kind of fall into it?

As a kid I loved Fred Capossela (I'm sure you guys have heard the great Robert Klein bit about him, a real homage, where he's ordering a meal at home from his wife.) and he did spark my interest in the game because Channel 2 used to replay his stretch calls every day on the local sportscast. This is in the late 60s.

Here's the Capossela bit, It's on the right hand side of the page, #2.
http://www.archive.org/details/robert_klein_mind_over_matter

craigbraddick
02-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Hi Andicap:

I had a real bad speech impediment growing up but found it was not as bad when I tried to imitate sports announcers. I always loved horse racing and by the time I was 7, I would turn down the TV to practice calling.

Alas, being overseas, there is a good chance you would never have heard of my favorite racecaller. He died in 1998. When I was a teenager, I would often break and enter into unused booths to practice at racetracks. This man, I thought, had a great voice and was always helpful to me.

His name was Raleigh Gilbert. I still have one of the elaborate color charts he used to make up for each race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqP58zVopeQ

Craig

Peter Berry
02-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Since we have a good cadre of excellent race-callers on this thread, I was wondering who your calling heroes were earlier in your career? And did you plan on being racecallers or did you kind of fall into it?

As a kid I loved Fred Capossela (I'm sure you guys have heard the great Robert Klein bit about him, a real homage, where he's ordering a meal at home from his wife.) and he did spark my interest in the game because Channel 2 used to replay his stretch calls every day on the local sportscast. This is in the late 60s.

Bert Bryant.

M Chamberlain
02-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Chic Anderson has always been my race-calling hero. The best there ever was.

Relwob Owner
02-20-2011, 09:36 PM
To all of the race callers on here: Thanks for giving us your insight into what you do and thanks for doing a job that I consider to be extremely hard and extremely important in terms of the overall enjoyment fans get out of watching racing.

Cardus
02-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Chic Anderson has always been my race-calling hero. The best there ever was.

Last week, Chic Anderson was thrown into the same group as Grunder at Tampa Bay Downs.

v j stauffer
02-20-2011, 10:19 PM

Probably would not have become an announcer without the support and guidance
of Harry Henson. Great racecaller. Greater man. RIP

jmr
02-21-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm dating myself but Morris Tobe, Monmouth Park in the late 60's early 70's. The man painted 9 pictures a day. Only wish I could hear him again.

Stillriledup
02-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Just a quick thought from me here as well on using monitors during a race call, I recall my monitor in Houston was about a 5" screen on my desk, so it really didn't help even if I chose to look at it. I have only consulted the monitors in any of the announcer's booths I have worked in if there was a timer malfunction on the tote board beacuse the in-house graphics will invariably have the times up on the screen. Otherwise, I have such a great view at Turf Paradise of all the action, I don't use the monitor in my booth.

As for the layoff question, what's a layoff??? At Turf, the season is 156 days long. :D

Honestly, I will have a two-month break between the end of Lincoln Race Course this summer and Turf Paradise starting up again and yes, there is some difficulty shaking off the rust after that kind of break. However, it is almost second nature now to be calling a race after nearly 15 years of doing it, so I like to think that the rust falls away quickly. I don't know if it is that way for the other announcers, but it seems that way for me.

LOL YOU KILLED ME IN THE 6th!

(yes, i'm blaming you for the loss!)

I had the 1 horse to win, :(

PhantomOnTour
02-21-2011, 06:29 PM
I dare anyone to listen to Wallace's call of the Southwest and then defend him as a racecaller.
Sorry, but he has become a joke.

exiles
02-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Why doesn't this clown just give race calling up, one of the worst race calls in a long time in the SOUTHWEST, but that is to be expected from him,

PICSIX
02-21-2011, 06:35 PM
I dare anyone to listen to Wallace's call of the Southwest and then defend him as a racecaller.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. He just doesn't have it anymore. :( :( :(

Vinman
02-21-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm dating myself but Morris Tobe, Monmouth Park in the late 60's early 70's. The man painted 9 pictures a day. Only wish I could hear him again.

Morris was at the mike for my inagural trip to the races, at Monmouth Park on 7/27/68. It was the day of the Sapling for 2 year olds. I made my first ever bet in that race....$2.00 to show on Night Invader....he ran 2nd to Ruffian's daddy, Reviewer.

I'd give anything to hear some of Morris' racecalls again. Very distinctive style. He was probably calling the Atlantic City races when Cary Grant and Doris day had that lunch scene at the Aycee track in "That Touch of Mink". His voice would fit right in.

Vinman

Lasix67
02-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Poor T. Wallace. He is just a mess when he calls. He even introduced the upcoming 2nd race as Race 4. I know it is a tough job but man I can't for the life of me enjoy his race calling.

Rise Over Run
02-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Today's Southwest was the first complete call I heard from Oaklawn this season. I was watching on the computer so the screen was rather small, and I honestly had no idea what was going on based on the call. I know Terry Wallace is an icon there, but what a disaster...

sandpit
02-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Probably would not have become an announcer without the support and guidance
of Harry Henson. Great racecaller. Greater man. RIP

Luke loved Harry too, and could do a pretty good imitation, in snippets.

This thread has me thinking of great announcers in all sports through the years...the team of Jack Buck and Hank Stram doing monday night football on the radio was just fantastic; Cawood Ledford, Kentucky's basketball and football guy who did tons of final fours for whoever was broadcasting it nationally, if UK wasn't in it...he is still the smoothest game caller I ever heard; Curty Gowdy's NFL stuff was amazing; Chris Schenkel hosting golf and bowling on ABC actually made both sports worth tuning in to...

Now, ESPN gives us Musberger and Vitale working college bball together; there has never been a more obnoxious and self-promoting pair of blowhards call a sporting event. I swear I'd rather listen to 2 straight hours of that crap they fed us at the half time of the Super Bowl.

Nochalk
02-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Poor T. Wallace. He is just a mess when he calls. He even introduced the upcoming 2nd race as Race 4. I know it is a tough job but man I can't for the life of me enjoy his race calling.

Lucky Mr. Wallace, that Mr. Beyer doesn't follow Oaklawn Park as closely as he does Tampa Bay Downs.

danceinthemood
02-21-2011, 08:40 PM
That's the trifecta of bad callers.

Learned Hand35
02-21-2011, 09:30 PM

There is a huge a difference between constructive criticism and insults. Those that cannot discern their difference call into question their intelligence. Those that can discern the difference yet willfully ignore it, call into question their character.

I think Terry's contributions to racing especially in Arkansas, entitles him to a tactful critique by his detractors. Unfortunately, this thread seems to indicate that either some do not have the intellect to do as such, or lack the integrity to.

Track Phantom
02-22-2011, 12:31 AM
There is a huge a difference between constructive criticism and insults. Those that cannot discern their difference call into question their intelligence. Those that can discern the difference yet willfully ignore it, call into question their character.

I think Terry's contributions to racing especially in Arkansas, entitles him to a tactful critique by his detractors. Unfortunately, this thread seems to indicate that either some do not have the intellect to do as such, or lack the integrity to.

I agree with some of the critque being a little harsh. Wallace seems like a good guy and it could be health issues causing the problems and, if so, that would be pretty sad.

However, to try to install moral character into people posting on a message board is beyond a waste of time.

RXB
02-22-2011, 03:57 AM

Tactful critique: I don't pretend to know what he does in his other duties at Oaklawn, and perhaps he carries them out with great distinction.

His racecalling skills, which I personally would've rated as merely competent in his best years, have diminished very considerably over the past decade.

Learned Hand35
02-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Tactful critique: I don't pretend to know what he does in his other duties at Oaklawn, and perhaps he carries them out with great distinction.

His racecalling skills, which I personally would've rated as merely competent in his best years, have diminished very considerably over the past decade.

I wholeheartedly agree. He needs to step down as the race caller, but continue in his other role as the unofficial "Mr. Oaklawn."

Learned Hand35
02-22-2011, 09:14 AM
However, to try to install moral character into people posting on a message board is beyond a waste of time.

I am not trying to "instill" moral character, as I agree in the futility of such. I am noting the effect of, and responding to, the use of cheap insults.

craigbraddick
02-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Personally, I welcome more frequent criticism of Announcers, even if it means people may highlight me out at times for a poor call. People are right to demand better service from their racecallers. We are there to serve the fan who pays our wages. And that means delivering accurate calls. Race calling is evolving in the USA to become more descriptive as people demand to know more about the position of their horse and how it is running. The best racecallers already do this. Some that were the best have not adapted (which of course is their decision) and those looking to climb further (like myself) better make sure we are first class in all areas.

Please understand what I say below is not highlighted specifically at any one person mentioned in this thread. These are just my observations having spent many of my teenage years around racecallers and returning to it in my mid 30's.

1. I think most racecallers probably hit their prime for around a dozen years somewhere between the age of 40-55. I do not know why this is, but I think it is true based on knowing so many over the years.

2. After 55, there is a drop off, for some it may be barely noticable (but they know it) and for others, especially as they move towards 60 it becomes more apparent.

3. After 60, the drop off gets steeper for everyone. The greatest (and I am talking maybe 3-4 people worldwide in the history of racecalling) might hold off the steepest part of that drop off by changing their style to accommodate
the advancing years. But by the age of 65, it is always apparent they are not the same caller they were even 7 or 8 years earlier. Internationally, nearly every English speaking country where racecalling is seen as a serious craft, (Aus, NA, RSA, UK, HK) makes or encourages their racecallers to quit between 60-65, more often than not towards the 60 end of that scale.

But there is another side to this. For racecalling in America to become in its OVERALL standard as good as the rest of the world (And I think the best Announcers in America would fit in anywhere, I though an talking about the OVERALL standard) younger callers need mentors and to plug into the experience of many of the senior racecallers who of course have a great body of racing knowledge and a legacy that needs passing on. The chance to "apprentice" with one of these guys when us younger folk are not working at a track is something that could greatly benefit the cause of racecalling in this country.

Craig.

Zman179
02-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Honestly, I will have a two-month break between the end of Lincoln Race Course this summer and Turf Paradise starting up again...

Now that is one very, very interesting circuit. Nebraska and Arizona. Don't hear that one every day.

PhantomOnTour
02-22-2011, 04:19 PM
I am not trying to "instill" moral character, as I agree in the futility of such. I am noting the effect of, and responding to, the use of cheap insults.
I presume you are referring to my post. It was quoted by you in your previous post.
Where is the cheap insult? I said he has become a joke...is that cheap? a low blow? The only thing about Wallace I criticized is the only thing about Wallace that I know; how he calls races. I believe a cheap insult would be something of a personal or childish nature, neither of which am I guilty of.
I respect Wallace's stature and his place in OP history but, like Harry Caray, there comes a time.

Learned Hand35
02-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I presume you are referring to my post. It was quoted by you in your previous post.
Where is the cheap insult? I said he has become a joke...is that cheap? a low blow? The only thing about Wallace I criticized is the only thing about Wallace that I know; how he calls races. I believe a cheap insult would be something of a personal or childish nature, neither of which am I guilty of.
I respect Wallace's stature and his place in OP history but, like Harry Caray, there comes a time.

My apologies if you took my post to be directed at you, POT. My intent was to piggy-back off your comments regarding posters that are defending Terry, or perhaps more accurately, perceived as defending his race calls. My wife was "encouraging" me regarding another one of the tasks on her "honey do list" and I was careless in not clearly making my point about the distinction.

My reference to insults was regarding the post right after yours by exiles, and posts of its ilk. The post was an absurdly transparent attempt to bait. I can only assume he/she received the juvenile thrill he/she was seeking.

Cardus
02-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Forgetting horses names routinely and allowing for two or three seconds of dead air during a race call accurately describes his performance.

It's embarrassing, really.

andicap
02-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I have a great deal of respect, admiration and appreciation for race-callers and have never on this board criticized any of their calls. Everyone makes mistakes--- its just tough when yours is heard by thousands of people across the country all at once.
(I love the famous Clem McCarthy line to Bill Stern after McCarthy famously blew a Derby call. "You can't lateral a horse, Bill." In reference to Stern's many blown radio calls where if he discovered he had misidentified a ball carrier, he would make up a lateral pass.)

Sports announcers have the chance to correct errors later in the telecast. Race callers don't.

Sports announcers have producers and researchers helping them out.
Race callers are alone.

Having said all that, the Terry Wallace call of the Southwest Stakes was clearly an embarrassment to himself and Oaklawn. I don't listen to many OP races so i wasn't familiar with Wallace's calls, but if that was an indication of his current capabilities he needs to retire from race-calling at the end of the meet.

He was fine until the top of the stretch but seemed to get confused when five or six horses fanned out together -- he couldn't tell them apart -- and he didn't really call the remainder of the race.

I understand why his fellow callers would remain silent on this topic -- I would too. Publicly, you have to hang together. I mean it's not as if the man committed a crime or anything and his long career is worthy of respect. In any endeavor, however, it's a shame when someone hangs around too long. Like Willie Mays' last year with Mets.

If Wallace had any close friends or family he could trust, they should do him a favor and urge him to bow out gracefully. The track could hold a "Terry Wallace Day" in April to honor him and OP could get some decent local publicity out of it.

ronsmac
02-24-2011, 11:47 AM
I've been following Oaklawn exclusively for the first time this year, and I'd say he's the worst I've ever heard. He mixes horses up at least twice a day.

billyball
02-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Maybe the Beulah Twins bobblehead has something to with it---

netbet
02-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Has anyone ever seen the "Oaklawn Report"?

This is the replay show for the Oaklawn races....worst replay show I have ever seen.

ronsmac
02-24-2011, 05:36 PM

This is the replay show for the Oaklawn races....worst replay show I have ever seen.
I agree 100%. It's really just a show for the host to promote himself.

Peter Berry
02-24-2011, 09:54 PM

Huge statement. There are some horrid replay shows out there featuring so-called local personalties.

Peter Berry
02-24-2011, 10:46 PM
And personalities.

NJ Stinks
02-24-2011, 10:59 PM
I haven't seen the Oakawn Report this year but if you guys are referring to Gary Weir, I disagree completely. I like the show because of Gary.

JustRalph
02-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Do they still run that advertisement for the steak house in the Oaklawn report ? It used to look like it was put together by the AV Club at the local high school............. :lol:

BlueShoe
02-25-2011, 11:16 AM
That's the trifecta of bad callers.
Really do think that we all should be kinder to race callers. Have always liked RG, and unlike many others, MB and TW do not irritate me. I take a pragmatic viewpoint; if my horse crosses the wire first the track announcer that calls it sounds fine, if not, what difference does it make? For a very recent example, in Thursdays 10th at Oaklawn caught the super to bail out of a deep hole for the day, and Terrys call never sounded sweeter! :D

Fingal
02-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Forgetting horses names routinely and allowing for two or three seconds of dead air during a race call accurately describes his performance.

It's embarrassing, really.

I caught a couple of OP races yesterday, & I swear in one race he called the same horse in 2nd & then 5th. :eek:
And then I too felt :blush: for him.

For all of them, there comes a time to walk away. Frank Mirahmadi came in to call that race for a reason, it was an audition for that day that will come sooner than later.

netbet
02-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Speaking of Frank Mirahmadi, is he still on TVG? Is he announcing anywhere?

There was a time where I didn't care what track it was....if Mr. Mirahmadi was announcing...I was following that track. Think he is 1 of the top 3 in the business and can't understand why he is not a regular. Guess he is making more $ at TVG and betting.

strapper
02-25-2011, 11:28 PM
With all the fuss about Terry's calling I thought I'd tune in tonight for Gary Weir's replay show and check him out. He might not be as sharp as he once was (fact of life, unfortunately as we age) and his calls varied in sharpness as he seemed to hesitate around 1/16th out once or twice. He called Sir Mott "Mr Mott" - one rather glaring mistake. I still don't think he deserves such a harsh critique after calling how many thousands of races in a row...

NJ Stinks
02-26-2011, 12:31 AM
With all the fuss about Terry's calling I thought I'd tune in tonight for Gary Weir's replay show and check him out. He might not be as sharp as he once was (fact of life, unfortunately as we age) and his calls varied in sharpness as he seemed to hesitate around 1/16th out once or twice. He called Sir Mott "Mr Mott" - one rather glaring mistake. I still don't think he deserves such a harsh critique after calling how many thousands of races in a row...

Totally agree.

ronsmac
02-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Unfortunately I hear him every day. Yesterday would be considered a really good day for him.

ronsmac
03-12-2011, 02:11 PM
God, Terry wallace really is awful. I've watched every single race at Oaklawn this meet and he gets confused at least 3 times a day. Please retire yesterday.

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure, but I think we've gotten the point of this thread...why pile on?