PDA

View Full Version : Compurace

4thandlong
09-17-2001, 05:02 PM
Anyone know what happened to Compurace? I went to renew my membership and they're web site is gone.

Are there any other services for downloading race videos?

4thandlong
09-26-2001, 07:18 PM
Well, they finally put a page back up (of sorts) with their phone number; I called, no answer. Then they change their page to give their email address and I've sent 3 messages with no reply.

Just wondering - is everybody so into db handicapping these days that no one watches replays anymore?

smf
09-26-2001, 07:52 PM
Punter,

You might want to try DirectTV. A friend of mine who used to play the races said he can "find" race replay shows across the country. He gets the NYRA and So Fla replays, he says. Not sure what else he gets/ can get and apparently this isn't possible on dishtv (home of the uncoordinated tvg) .

He said he simply inputs (from remote) "horse racing" on some menu, then follows some prompts & options.

Also, it appears that TRN (or something like it) may come back soon. That was a great service, and it beat the heck out of watching races on a computer.

Good luck.

BillW
09-26-2001, 10:07 PM
Dish network carries all of the regional Fox sports channels, and therefore all of the replay shows that are carried by Fox (Meadowlands, Ohio to mention a few). TVG also carries a few (Calder, Turfway, Delmar, Santa Anita).
I Don't watch them religiously and therefore can't supply a complete list off the top of my head, but would be glad to check further if you need info on a specific track.

Bill

4thandlong
09-26-2001, 10:12 PM
Thanks smf, actually I can still get TRN in these neck o' the woods, but I can't put up a dish (in the correct line of sight) where I live.

However, you got me thinking and I visited the TRN site to double check and lo and behold my cable company is now carrying TRN on their Digital service! So tomorrow I'll look into subscribing.

Glad you brought that up or I would never have known! Thanks!

4thandlong
09-26-2001, 10:14 PM
Hi Bill, thanks for your reply but I think I might be able to get it on cable. Just have to make sure it's in my area.

bedford35
09-28-2001, 07:39 PM
Are you sure you are getting TRN(The Racing Network) on you cable system? That just doesn't seem possible. I mean I would love for it to happen but I called them several months back about doing that and they said there were no plans to.

To SMF,

Can you tell me how and why you think TRN may be coming back in some form. Not that I'm doubting you its just that I can't find any info on it and there website doesn't give out any information. Thanks.

Lastly, I just tried the compurace site and the old site comes back up. The replays don't go much past Sept 15 however so I don't know what this means. I notice that Santa Anita's website has replays now available but they don't seem to be downloadable, you can only view them streaming on the web. I sent them an email asking if they were going to make them downloadable so you get good picture quality but no reply from them so far.

bedford35

smf
09-28-2001, 08:08 PM
Bedford,

I pasted this from the FG BBS (nola.com). It's a part of a post dated 8/2/01 from Bryan Krantz, owner of the Fairgounds. He's answering ?'s about TRN and the FG Net Bet program.

I figure if anyone would know about these issues, it's him.------

We are very close to deals with UK and Austrailian interest to add product to our system in La. and add FG races to much broader distribution. The TVG situation will be much clearer this coming year. Watch what happens in California with great interest. It's TVG's last hope of survival. Watch for TRN to be reformed into a new entity. The Magna group may now be coming to life and be as ugly as TVG in its own way after the NY City OTB contract going to them. My thought is there are big international players who are just getting started in this game. Churchill and Magna could be swallowed by larger fish in the not to distant future.

This next 10 years are going to be constant change. A track like FG is somewhat insulated because of the diversity we have been able to establish. Jazz Fest, Video Poker, OTB, Account wagering but we need slots to insure the true independence necessary for the future. With the purse $ and bottom line revenue from slots neither Magna or CD could freeze us out of markets. This will also insure for racing fans a broad base offering of all tracks/product in all otb's and account betting. Our presentation has always been to give as much choice and information to our customers as possible. Please compare what we do to what is done in other regions of this country (especially pricing). We want to take the FG brand of this type of response to our customers and create a national account wagering business with the same reputation. The other guys want to package and upsell. Raise prices where ever possible to enhance bottom line revenue so they can cover their debt service. It started last year when CD raised their rates on host track fee charges to the tracks/otb's showing their races. TVG is all about the larger tracks attempting to monopolize account wagering and what tracks get bet on through their tellevision presentation. It's a bad deal for the non "founder" TVG tracks and the customers who bet on all races. If they are successful regional tracks will lose market power in their own home markets.

Enough of this for now. Passion is what makes racing a great sport. There are lots here who show their passion in their comments.

Good luck to you all!

Bryan

smf
09-28-2001, 08:10 PM
Also, remember that '4th andlong' lives in Canada. The CDN TRN is still in business. The TRN signals haven't died yet, Bedford.

4thandlong
09-30-2001, 12:44 PM
Don't need to worry about CompuRace anymore...TRN is alive and kicking in my living room! Woohoo!

Dave Schwartz
09-30-2001, 01:15 PM
I envy all of you guys... It is ironic that the one place in the world where there is the absolute most gambling (Nevada) is the one place where you cannot:

1. get a satallite feed of races
2. bet by telephone

Crazy, huh?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz