PDA

View Full Version : Tampa raises purses

JustRalph
02-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Santa Anita eat it!

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/61393/tampa-bay-downs-announces-purse-increase

mannyberrios
02-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Tampa Bay Downs is a cool track

johnhannibalsmith
02-16-2011, 08:53 PM
The recession must be over! :jump:

Congratulations to Tampa Bay.

I give it an Amen Berube!

Zman179
02-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Go figure, a purse increase without a takeout increase! Those innovative Tampons (or whatever you call Tampa residents). :lol:

Horseplayersbet.com
02-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Go figure, a purse increase without a takeout increase! Those innovative Tampons (or whatever you call Tampa residents). :lol:
They actually dropped some takeouts this year, same with last year. Go figure.

gemcity39
02-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Way to go Tampa Bay downs!!!!!!!!!!:)

beertapper
02-16-2011, 11:51 PM
i guess that means santa anita has to raise takeout to counter that...

Twenty Seven
02-17-2011, 05:40 AM
Congrats, Tampa!

Good to see them concentrate the increase on their bread-n-butter platers, too.

Robert Goren
02-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Their poker room must be doing really well.

lamboguy
02-17-2011, 07:36 AM
stella must be real happy. she runs a few horses there too!

Charlie D
02-17-2011, 07:56 AM
I suppose a raise in purses is needed to help pay for all these chemicals they are sticking in these fantastic warriors

Robert Goren
02-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Too bad when these tracks see increases in handle, they don't kick a little of back to the customer. I would have been more impressed if they had cut the takeout rate a half of percent on win wagers instead of increasing purses.

Horseplayersbet.com
02-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Too bad when these tracks see increases in handle, they don't kick a little of back to the customer. I would have been more impressed if they had cut the takeout rate a half of percent on win wagers instead of increasing purses.
They've been cutting takeout bit by bit. Almost every year they do something.
Sure, their supers and tris are too high right now, and hopefully they will be dealt with.
Close to half the extra monies derived from net revenue from handle increases though deservedly should go to the horsemen. And that would include monies that comes from handle increases.
The track can choose to pay higher salaries for example, with their increase.
If they feel they can gain even more net revenue bottom line from takeout decreases, they will decrease takeout further, but that is a separate issue.
I like the fact they are taking care of the bottom level horses. It costs as much to train them as it does the allowance horses. It is good for the racetrack economy.

Charlie D
02-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Sure, their supers and tris are too high right now, and hopefully they will be dealt with.
Close to half the extra monies derived from net revenue from handle increases though deservedly should go to the horsemen. And that would include monies that comes from handle increases.
If they feel they can gain even more net revenue bottom line from takeout decreases, they will decrease takeout further, but that is a separate issue.
I like the fact they are taking care of the bottom level horses. It costs as much to train them as it does the allowance horses. It is good for the racetrack economy.

TB is helping to keep the horses on chemicals HPB and the horsemen (:lol: ) appreciate this i'm sure.

Tom
02-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Hope SA dosen't read this thread.
They might just assume horse players will never be happy and raise TO even more.

Charlie D
02-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Hope SA dosen't read this thread.
They might just assume horse players will never be happy and raise TO even more.

you could pay for better pre race inspections, better security, or numerous other things with this money, but lets not try to improve integrity of the game eh!! Instead lets keep feeding the wild animal that seems to be out of control.

Charlie D
02-17-2011, 09:28 AM
The RMTC needs money i believe, to continue the work it does, why not give them a nice slice??

I sooner see our money go to them than to people who really don't deserve it like that great horseman:lol: R Dutrow

Robert Goren
02-17-2011, 09:52 AM
I like the fact they are taking care of the bottom level horses. It costs as much to train them as it does the allowance horses. It is good for the racetrack economy.We do not need to encourage people like Jamie Ness to claim a horse and then drop it 2 levels in its next race despite running 3rd in it last race by increasing purses in low level claiming races. How is 2/5 shots in bottom claimers good for racing? Its takeout on W-P-S is 17.5% . 38th among race tracks. By comparison, the much maligned S.Cal is 15.43%. NYRA, CD and Kee are 16%.

Charlie D
02-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Encourage is a great word to use Robert imho.

For gawd sake TB and other racetracks should be using this money to discouraging the use of chemicals and people who use them, not friggin reward them.

ronsmac
02-17-2011, 07:57 PM
We do not need to encourage people like Jamie Ness to claim a horse and then drop it 2 levels in its next race despite running 3rd in it last race by increasing purses in low level claiming races. How is 2/5 shots in bottom claimers good for racing? Its takeout on W-P-S is 17.5% . 38th among race tracks. By comparison, the much maligned S.Cal is 15.43%. NYRA, CD and Kee are 16%.
Churchill downs and So.cals win takeout adjust higher than Tampa's because of the Computer Batch boys.