PDA

View Full Version : Automated Betting

tanda
10-13-2003, 10:20 PM
What value would you attach to an automated betting feature at your current on-line betting web site?

For example, the night before a race, you order a bet if your horse goes off within your defined odds parameters.

cj
10-13-2003, 10:30 PM
What would the time parameter be? Hard to really get it to work with today's tote technology.

For example, I bet a horse today, was 7-1 with 1 MTP, 10-1 as they circled the track, and paid $25.60 (nearly 12-1). More drastic with favorites in the other direction. Saw another one today was 2-1 at 1 MTP, 3-2 as they were on the backstretch, and went off at 6-5 (lost). This was at Belmont, not some bush track with small pools. So, I guess I'm saying in theory its great, but in reality, I doubt it would accomplish what you wanted without allowing for big overlay margins.

tanda
10-13-2003, 11:07 PM
Without explaining how or why, imagine that late odds changes were reduced to a significant degree.

What are your thoughts?

pmd62ndst
10-13-2003, 11:40 PM
I agree that if I can have parameters of odds up to at least one minute before post time, I would love to use a tool like that.

But even at this point, I would find value in being able to place bets the day before the race. There have been countless times I would have loved to place a wager on a Saturday but was unable to do so because I had to be in a place with no computer or phone.

Youbet has VoiceBet where you can call and place a bet using your touchtone phone. I was working on an application that would read a tote board online and then call VoiceBet if odds within the parameters would match.

Unfortunately, it's fairly unreliable and going through Youbet's Voicebet menu takes about a minute to go through so forget about any last minute wagers.

PMD

GameTheory
10-14-2003, 09:39 AM
That would be a nice feature, but I'd place a higher premium on having a communication protocol/API provided by the wagering service so I can automate it myself easily. In other words, a way to have my software place bets for me any time up to post without dealing with a HTML/Java/Browser interface. XML tote board feed, etc....

betovernetcapper
10-14-2003, 10:24 AM
For me such a feature would be a godsend. I use an oddline, and tend to bet only if one of my top 3 is an overlay. I want it NOW.:)

Larry Hamilton
10-14-2003, 10:50 AM
such a feature would end this crap of betting a 5/2 and the odds drop to 1:5 at the top of the stretch...Frankly, this angle alone should mean a huge headache for all his competition I, too, am interested

GameTheory
10-14-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Larry Hamilton
such a feature would end this crap of betting a 5/2 and the odds drop to 1:5 at the top of the stretch...Frankly, this angle alone should mean a huge headache for all his competition I, too, am interested

No it wouldn't. Probably make it worse, actually. With pari-mutuel betting, you will ALWAYS be betting without knowledge of what the final odds will be. No way around it.

Larry Hamilton
10-14-2003, 12:28 PM
I misunderstood. I thought he said I could give an "accept odds"

GameTheory
10-14-2003, 02:07 PM
No system is going to let you, Larry, or me, Andy, be the LAST bettor. Therefore, you can only choose "acceptable odds" at X minutes to post. Which is why I say it will make the problem worse because more and more people will then use the system and everyone will be betting immediately before closing and no one will know what the final odds are going to be.

Of course, with the exchanges, you can now choose your odds beforehand, but there has to be someone else out there willing to match it on the other side.

betovernetcapper
10-14-2003, 02:58 PM
There is/was a program called Cherry Picker (reveiwed on this site), which preported to do just that-place your wagers at X time if X odds. Would buy in a heartbeat if convinced it would work.

tanda
10-14-2003, 03:50 PM
I have used CherryPickr. It is a compilations of macros that use Automate and Visual Scripting to place wagers. Essentially, it is a guide to a homemade automation system. It has limitations on the number of tracks that can be followed at once due to its speed.

My proposal is one seamlessly integrated with the interface of your on-line service. In addition to odds parameters, other parameters could be used as well. One example is to place a bet if another horse goes off as the favorite (bet against a false favorite).

Please continue your comments. They are helpful.