PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream writing a race specifically for Uncle Mo

The_Knight_Sky
02-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Pletcher considering new Gulfstream race for Uncle Mo debut (http://www.drf.com/news/pletcher-considering-new-gulfstream-race-uncle-mo-debut)- By Mike Welsch

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. – Gulfstream Park racing secretary Dan Bork has written a one-mile overnight handicap for 3-year-olds to be run here March 12. The race, called the Timely Writer, will offer a $100,000 purse and will carry no conditions, which makes it open to all 3-year-olds, including reigning division leader and Eclipse Award champion Uncle Mo.

The Grade 2 Fountain of Youth will be run Feb. 26, with the Grade 1 Florida Derby on April 3, 22 days after the Timely Writer.

toussaud
02-16-2011, 05:02 PM
I think that is what a good racing secretary does. So is mo now a no go for the Tampa bay derby?

lamboguy
02-16-2011, 05:30 PM
the only thing i can say is that i love the horse they named the race after. as far as i know frannie martin is alive but sick and for gulfstream to come up with this name is pretty cool in my book. frannie was the owner of the horse, while dominic imprescia was the trainer, his wife ethel is still alive.

Chris G
02-16-2011, 05:37 PM
the only thing i can say is that i love the horse they named the race after. as far as i know frannie martin is alive but sick and for gulfstream to come up with this name is pretty cool in my book. frannie was the owner of the horse, while dominic imprescia was the trainer, his wife ethel is still alive.

If you hadn't said this, I would have thought he came up with the name because he wrote the race for a time they needed one. I like your version better :)

I think I"m in favor of the race.

mannyberrios
02-16-2011, 06:17 PM
They would be stupid not to. Good move

Pell Mell
02-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Sorry, I didn't see this thread before i started the other one.:blush:

Pell Mell
02-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Sorry, I didn't see this thread before i started the other one.:blush:

But I still believe what I said in the other thread.

onefast99
02-16-2011, 07:44 PM
I thought the name should be the "Pirates Booty" it covers all the bases!

dylbert
02-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Home cooking tastes best! Looks like an excellent strategic move by GP racing secretary. Keep the Derby Trail "it" horse in Miami and away from cross-state rival.

Tom
02-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Duck all legitimate competition and avoid racing whenever possible.
Take the easy road to your target race.

Is this Uncle Zenyatta or what?
How can anyone respect this horse now?

:rolleyes:

sandpit
02-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Duck all legitimate competition and avoid racing whenever possible.
Take the easy road to your target race.

Is this Uncle Zenyatta or what?
How can anyone respect this horse now?

:rolleyes:

Zenyatta ran in graded stakes, albeit some lame ones, for nearly her entire career...this is the Monmouth Stakes for Big Brown, the Citation Challenge for Cigar, or whatever it was that Fair Grounds wrote for Rachel Alexandra.

Nobody looking for graded money to get in the Derby will waste their time with this race, but anybody else without Derby aspirations, or, like Uncle Mo, doesn't need any more added money $$$, is a candidate to run.

Robert Goren
02-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Has Moss bought this horse? This whole thing got start last year when they started moving stakes around for a horse. Now they are making up stakes for different horse. East coast racing as usual. What a joke! The really sad part is that over half the voters in the poll thought it was ok.

Chris G
02-16-2011, 10:38 PM
It's his job to write races that fill. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that they'll get a good sized field.

I don't like when a track offers a million dollars for example (or whatever ridiculous amount like Monmouth is known for doing) to bring in one particular horse.

If Uncle Mo does run in this, it's really a loss for the owners because they ducked competition. I don't care who he ducks. Doesn't impress me any. It makes me think less of him.

I am in favor of big fields though; and that's what I'm hoping for. They got plenty of three year olds there.

Stillriledup
02-17-2011, 03:04 AM
Is Uncle Mo not eligible to the FOY or the Fla Derby? :eek:

What am i missing, why not just run in those races, arent the purses bigger?

Pell Mell
02-17-2011, 06:27 AM
It's not a graded race so any horse with an eye on the derby is not going to enter, so who will show up. They just want a tune-up race for Mo and take as little chance on losing as possible.

Pletcher is trying to avoid having his contenders meet each other. They had thought about the Tampa Derby but they have written in Brethren for that one.

I would think that Pletcher and Repole discussed this with GP and probably agreed to keep Mo there if they would write a race for him since he doesn't need any earnings. He has a guaranteed spot in the Derby so all they want to do is get him there in one piece.

I don't think there will be more than a couple entries for this race. For anyone but Mo, what's the point?

MickJ26
02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Didn't they also do that a few years ago for Zito for War Pass?

cj
02-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Didn't they also do that a few years ago for Zito for War Pass?

I think War Pass stuck to Tampa.

EDIT:

I see he did run in an open allowance first, so I guess they did.

Marlin
02-17-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm not so sure this race was written for Uncle Mo. I know Zito has reservations about racing Dialed In in the FOY. Don't be surprised if Dialed In finds himself in this spot. However, with the Uncle Mo rumblings, I'm thinking Zito's opinion of the FOY might be getting better.

Marlin
02-17-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm not so sure this race was written for Uncle Mo. I know Zito has reservations about racing Dialed In in the FOY. Don't be surprised if Dialed In finds himself in this spot. However, with the Uncle Mo rumblings, I'm thinking Zito's opinion of the FOY might be getting better.After reading the whole article I guess Zito is out. GP obviously wanted both as Zito said he is looking for another option other than F.O.Y. How many chips will GP have to call in to fill this race? Why is Uncle Mo starting so late? A ton of questions in Florida right now.

Sugar Ron
02-18-2011, 10:13 AM
Too funny

Would love to see this colt (UM) get buried in the Derby...

FenceBored
02-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Too funny

Would love to see this colt (UM) get buried in the Derby...

Too funny.

My ironymeter just broke again. Damn things don't last like they used to.

Sugar Ron
02-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Ironymeter, eh

Haven't had any problems with my truthmeter ... and I bought it back in '89.

FenceBored
02-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Ironymeter, eh

Haven't had any problems with my truthmeter ... and I bought it back in '89.

You're supposed to plug it in.

Sugar Ron
02-18-2011, 03:31 PM
You're supposed to plug it in.

Solar-powered

Comes in handy when I run into misguided Blame and RA fans at the beach.

FenceBored
02-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Solar-powered

Comes in handy when I run into misguided Blame and RA fans at the beach.

I see. You were running into Blame fans at the beach in 1989. :rolleyes:

joanied
02-19-2011, 01:01 PM
This race just makes me mad...another example of trainers wanting to avoid the tougher competition before the Derby...it's BS, IMO... if they want to keep UM away from Brethren, let them find a race for him, not have one written for him...if Uncle Mo is all they beleive he is, then run him in the TBD...I actually like Brethren better for the Kentucky Derby anyway (at least right now).

Sugar Ron
02-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Surprisingly little chatter so far about the so-called "brilliant champion of his generation"

Interesting

Perhaps things will pick up after his paid workout in this fake stake...

FenceBored
02-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Surprisingly little chatter so far about the so-called "brilliant champion of his generation"

Interesting

Perhaps things will pick up after his paid workout in this fake stake...

Don't hate him 'cause he's undefeated.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/images/content/UncleMoBCJuvenile2010_14RS298.jpg

Tom
02-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Hate him for ducking?

Sugar Ron
02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Yeah, that's some win streak.

Won't be rooting for the sheltered colt this spring, but i don't "hate him".

Would be pretty funny, tho, if he gets stuffed in the Derby after only one real prep race...

FenceBored
02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Hate him for ducking?

Just picking his spots.

FenceBored
02-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah, that's some win streak.

Won't be rooting for the sheltered colt this spring, but i don't "hate him".

Would be pretty funny, tho, if he gets stuffed in the Derby after only one real prep race...

Oh, come on, your jealousy is clear. Just because he can win his first 3 starts on dirt and win a BC race at Churchill in the process (unlike some others) is no reason to hate on him.

Pletcher wants a softer season opener than throwing him in a serious Derby Prep like the TBD. He doesn't have to go cut-throat for the cash, so why not build toward May 7? Others have used allowance races, he's using an ungraded stake. BFD.

Chris G
02-22-2011, 01:57 PM
On one hand it seems odd that he's taking such a light approach to the Derby. A one turn mile at this point seems odd to me.

But on the other hand, BC Juvenile winners really haven't had an impact on the Derby. Maybe he will even with his different approach to it.

...I still enjoyed Tom's Uncle Duck photo.

Chris G
02-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Btw, anyone know Nick Zito? Is he pissed they didn't give Dialed In a special race at Gulfstream?http://www.drf.com/news/dialed-will-skip-fountain-youth-stakes

redshift1
02-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Zito may get the last laugh in the Kentucky Derby.

socantra
02-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Classy! Will the Clydesdales be there? I love the Clydesdales. Maybe they could have one of those fun jockey dashes on the card. Or maybe a greased pig race.

Seriously, who cares. If they want to stage a paid workout, maybe it will draw a crowd. Derby Prep? Not so much.

Tom
02-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Maybe they can get Taz to race him. :lol:

joanied
02-23-2011, 11:14 AM
I was kinda mad when they wrote this race for UM...most likely he'll be a lock in this race because I can't see many top horses opting for it...IMO, they need to do a little more with him, but maybe that'll come when they get to NY...I just can't see a Derrby horse prepping in a mile race, then going to NY for a race just 1/8th longer in distance...but, other than the fact I really like Repole, I won't be picking Mo to win the Derby anyway...have a few others I like better...and I hope Brethren wins the TBD...or at least runs extremely well...I'll be looking to see what Zito does with Dialed In too.