PDA

View Full Version : Players Boycott working: Golden Gate handle/race down 20% compared to last year

The_Knight_Sky
02-16-2011, 01:21 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_YdXIAU4LXk/TVwPUYWRHbI/AAAAAAAAAZw/sWhZ60XcdgY/s1600/ggx.PNG (http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/2011/02/handle-numbers-are-mixed.html)

read full HANA post here (http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/2011/02/handle-numbers-are-mixed.html)

Dave Schwartz
02-16-2011, 01:35 PM
I am not aware that a boycott was called against Golden Gate.

This seems to me to be the handle dropping "naturally," as a consequence of race, economy and social conditions.

If I am mistaken, please show me.

Stillriledup
02-16-2011, 01:36 PM
I think Dave is right, GG's handle dropping is just a product of them being overpriced. When you charge too much for something, less people buy it.

The_Knight_Sky
02-16-2011, 02:04 PM
I am not aware that a boycott was called against Golden Gate.

This seems to me to be the handle dropping "naturally," as a consequence of race, economy and social conditions.

If I am mistaken, please show me.

Hi Dave - :)

The entire state of California falls under the boycott called for by Players Boycott org on their homepage: http://www.playersboycott.org/

Note: We are not calling for a players' boycott of Cal Expo. Cal Expo recently said "no" to increased harness takeout and recently reduced their takeout on selected wagers.

The double digit reduction at Golden Gate is what would have happened if Santa Anita had stayed with Pro-Ride. The positive waves from the reintroduction to dirt racing was negated by the national boycott.

DeanT
02-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Just a note, the full article at the website makes no claims about anything. It is simply relaying the data as compiled by a HANA member (obviously a studious one) on pool sizes this season at Tampa, SA and GG, when compared to last season.

toussaud
02-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Boycott aside, give me 1 reason to play Golden Gate (outside of Micheal Wrona)

The_Knight_Sky
02-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Claim1's by Lloyd Mason :ThmbUp: ;)

Stillriledup
02-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Its easy to pick a winner because of the short fields?

Southieboy
02-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Now, give me 1 reason to play Santa Anita and it's sand. :rolleyes:

toussaud
02-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Its easy to pick a winner because of the short fields?
But that surface, at least to me is just too darn unpredictable. I don't mind synthetics actually, but Presque isle and Golden Gate fields are two tracks that just give me fits, I don't like tapeta. so even with the short fields I end up losing more. My ROI at golden gate is probably lower than any track in the country. I can count on one hand the amount of races I've hit there the last year.

Dave Schwartz
02-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks, Knight Sky. I get it now.

appistappis
02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
are the cal expo numbers over the same period up or down??????

Charli125
02-16-2011, 06:04 PM
are the cal expo numbers over the same period up or down??????

Good question. Any idea where to get Cal Expo handle numbers? I can't even find their race dates.

Stillriledup
02-16-2011, 06:49 PM
But that surface, at least to me is just too darn unpredictable. I don't mind synthetics actually, but Presque isle and Golden Gate fields are two tracks that just give me fits, I don't like tapeta. so even with the short fields I end up losing more. My ROI at golden gate is probably lower than any track in the country. I can count on one hand the amount of races I've hit there the last year.

Its tremendously tricky no doubt. The biggest mistake you can make at that place is bet on 'lone speed'. There is no track in the country where lone speed loses more than this place. You can literally go 24 to the first quarter in a 6 furlong race and not even be competitive in midstretch. Speed horses have a better chance to win if they open up a huge lead and try to hang on...if they go extremely slow and try and sprint, they'll get beat by a closer anyway.

The_Knight_Sky
02-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Its tremendously tricky no doubt. The biggest mistake you can make at that place is bet on 'lone speed'. There is no track in the country where lone speed loses more than this place.

You can literally go 24 to the first quarter in a 6 furlong race and not even be competitive in midstretch. Speed horses have a better chance to win if they open up a huge lead and try to hang on...if they go extremely slow and try and sprint, they'll get beat by a closer anyway.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
It's become more of an intelligent "riders race" rather than a horse race.
The successful jockey knows the way his horse likes to run before he gets into the saddle.

And on many occasions the instructions given to riders by the connections may often be erroneous because not many have figured out the way Tapeta plays.

That said...
Man that Russell Baze still amazes!

Stillriledup
02-18-2011, 01:35 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself.
It's become more of an intelligent "riders race" rather than a horse race.
The successful jockey knows the way his horse likes to run before he gets into the saddle.

And on many occasions the instructions given to riders by the connections may often be erroneous because not many have figured out the way Tapeta plays.

That said...
Man that Russell Baze still amazes!
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77528&highlight=russel+baze

toussaud
02-18-2011, 05:54 PM
russell baze just eased a 3/5 shot before they even hit the damn turn. I didn't have any money on the race but I mean come on. horse opened up at 1/9.

Stillriledup
02-18-2011, 06:26 PM
russell baze just eased a 3/5 shot before they even hit the damn turn. I didn't have any money on the race but I mean come on. horse opened up at 1/9.

Someone made a bad bet.