PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Betting California Races

Tuffmug
02-16-2011, 04:02 AM
Time to see how PaceAdvantage members are acting with regard to the boycott over takeout increases in California. Please take the poll and comment below.

horses4courses
02-16-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm a small player, but still value-conscious.
So Cal offers value on WPS wagering.
If I like something there, I'm playing it.
Not doing much in the way of exotics, though.

Fingal
02-16-2011, 11:39 AM
As I specialize in the S Cal circuit, I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. And it's where I live, so the only way I'm going to stop betting S Cal is if I'm in a losing streak. But then I'm a win bettor, & exotics that experienced the takeout increase have little to no part in what I do.

Robert Goren
02-16-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm a small player, but still value-conscious.
So Cal offers value on WPS wagering.
If I like something there, I'm playing it.
Not doing much in the way of exotics, though.Ditto

JohnGalt1
02-16-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't blame anyone living in California for not boycotting their track(s).

I don't blame anyone for not boycotting California tracks if they have a consistant positive roi.

I am waiting, and playing other tracks, until they rescind the increases.

I am also naive.

GameTheory
02-16-2011, 04:40 PM
I don't blame anyone living in California for not boycotting their track(s).

I don't blame anyone for not boycotting California tracks if they have a consistant positive roi.

I am waiting, and playing other tracks, until they rescind the increases.

I am also naive.With a name like JohnGalt, you've got to go on strike at least once in a while...

fast4522
02-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Cali is hit or miss for me and it depends on the card (offerings), in general my software performs quite well on the new Santa Anita surface. I have nothing bad to say about those who boycott or those who do not. The game is not easy and sure less takeout should mean somewhat less of a tide to shovel against but do not be foolish to always bet that that is in fact the case.

trying2win
02-16-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm continuing to bet the major Southern California races since Hollywood Park finished, i.e. the Santa Anita races. And...since the CHRB, militant California horsemen, and politicians, insisted on the takeout increase for
some gimmicks due to their greed, arrogance and stupidity...my reward for them....I refuse to support them through the parimutuel system until they rescind those takeout increases.

Even though I only make win or place bets on the Santa Anita races, I am now making my bets on their races through an offshore racebook...(just like I said I would in previous posts). Hopefully, many other handicappers are taking a similar stand. In my opinion, if you don't take a stance you're just making a silent statement through apathy that you don't care, or it doesn't matter. Horsemen at other tracks are probably watching the parimutuel handles at Santa Anita very closely, and are planning some of their next negotiating moves on their racing circuits.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
~"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

--Edmund Burke

Zman179
02-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Too many tracks out there to waste my time with such a putrid product filled with short fields. Thursday's card has five races with 7 or fewer runners and Friday's card doesn't offer a single race with at least 10 horses in it...and that's before scratches.

Pass.

Stillriledup
02-16-2011, 11:06 PM
As I specialize in the S Cal circuit, I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. And it's where I live, so the only way I'm going to stop betting S Cal is if I'm in a losing streak. But then I'm a win bettor, & exotics that experienced the takeout increase have little to no part in what I do.

This is where you are wrong. The takeout increase in exotics COULD eventually hurt you as a WPS bettor because if you don't stop betting and the higher ups see you haven't stopped, the next thing might be to raise the WPS pools. Also, other tracks are watching like hawks, if they see people don't care and will continue to patronize So Cal, they too might say "hey, people didnt stop betting So Cal, why don't WE raise takeout"

So, if you bet other tracks, those too, could be raised eventually.

Hanover1
02-16-2011, 11:20 PM
This is where you are wrong. The takeout increase in exotics COULD eventually hurt you as a WPS bettor because if you don't stop betting and the higher ups see you haven't stopped, the next thing might be to raise the WPS pools. Also, other tracks are watching like hawks, if they see people don't care and will continue to patronize So Cal, they too might say "hey, people didnt stop betting So Cal, why don't WE raise takeout"

So, if you bet other tracks, those too, could be raised eventually.

Wouldn't we be wrong by speculating about what "they" "might" do? Just sayin....

Hanover1
02-16-2011, 11:22 PM
Judging by the responses thus far, the boycott is a smash hit.... :rolleyes:
Seems folks would rather ignore the economic situation in general, and take credit themselves for a decrease in handle. Power to the people........

Tuffmug
02-17-2011, 01:43 AM
Judging by the responses thus far, the boycott is a smash hit.... :rolleyes:
Seems folks would rather ignore the economic situation in general, and take credit themselves for a decrease in handle. Power to the people........

It's the Horsemen of California who SHOULD (but won't) credit themselves with the decrease in handle. They have produced and overpriced a crappy product and are bleeding out from that self inflicted wound!

Stillriledup
02-17-2011, 02:53 AM
Wouldn't we be wrong by speculating about what "they" "might" do? Just sayin....

Bettors should be concerned to put themselves in the best position to NOT have to deal with takeout raises in the future from any tracks. If they stomp on So Cal's neck, its unlikely any other track will follow suit and raise rake.

acorn54
02-18-2011, 02:04 AM
california racing authorities are banking on the apathy of the horse bettor.
it is indeed a proud achievement to have as large a percentage of horse bettors boycotting as we presently do.
it is an investment in the future to boycott california racetracks.
it is naive to think other cash strapped states are not watching the reaction of the horsebettors on california tracks. civil servants in the tax departments get paid to look for any possible new or increase streams of tax revenue. take my word for it, i had an adjunct professor in my corporate tax class who worked full time as an irs revenue agent.

Stillriledup
02-18-2011, 02:27 AM
I want to talk about the words PROUD ACHIEVEMENT. (compliments of Acorn54)

We have a segment of players who are trying to convince everyone else that they'll conduct their business as usual, and they'll continue to wager on California races, and it doesnt matter because they're betting WPS, and it doesnt matter because their 'big edge' is in California and so on and so forth.

But when you mention proud achievement, it gets me thinking about this. Most players are not winners. Most players lose in the long run, this is a fact. For those of you who are not lifetime winners, wouldnt it feel good to have done something that actually stuck it to the man for ONCE? Just one time, we're not asking you to stop wagering forever and we're not asking you to stop wagering on all tracks. There are people out there who are not only betting more than you, but they're better players than you and have a bigger edge than you and THEY are stopping cold turkey.

If they can stop, why can't you?

Just stop for a little while.....horseplayers (yes, you) have been called out by California 'higher ups' as idiots, addicts, old, stupid, and morons. People in the higher echelon of So Cal racing have also told you to your face that your boycott is nonsense. Doesn't that fire you up to stick it to them?

They're calling you out.

Make it personal and stop betting Santa Anita.

GaryG
02-18-2011, 09:47 AM

We have a segment of players who are trying to convince everyone else that they'll conduct their business as usual, and they'll continue to wager on California races, and it doesnt matter because they're betting WPS, and it doesnt matter because their 'big edge' is in California and so on and so forth.

But when you mention proud achievement, it gets me thinking about this. Most players are not winners. Most players lose in the long run, this is a fact. For those of you who are not lifetime winners, wouldnt it feel good to have done something that actually stuck it to the man for ONCE? Just one time, we're not asking you to stop wagering forever and we're not asking you to stop wagering on all tracks. There are people out there who are not only betting more than you, but they're better players than you and have a bigger edge than you and THEY are stopping cold turkey.

If they can stop, why can't you?

Just stop for a little while.....horseplayers (yes, you) have been called out by California 'higher ups' as idiots, addicts, old, stupid, and morons. People in the higher echelon of So Cal racing have also told you to your face that your boycott is nonsense. Doesn't that fire you up to stick it to them?

They're calling you out.

Make it personal and stop betting Santa Anita.Someone, maybe Dean T, said that HANA was not trying to tell anyone what they should or should not do. I, for one, will not be told where to bet my money. I am not a losing player and I have done well at the current SA meet. I bet to win but also in the P3 and P4 pools. The take is less than either GP or FG as I am sure that you know. So, just relax and stop trying to dictate policy to other playere. Have a nice day.

statepierback
03-02-2011, 02:35 AM
I've changed my betting structure due to the increased takeout. Basically all I play is win bets. My personal handle for the meet is down at least 50 percent if not more. On the days I play the racing card as in the past Gulfstream gets my action. I like the pick 4 and pick 5's there especially on the weekends.

takeout
03-02-2011, 04:24 AM
I was thinking about giving California a spin quite awhile back but it sure as hell ain’t gonna happen now. That exacta rake is insulting on top of ridiculous. It’s the principle now. I wouldn’t bet SA if you gave me the money.

Matter of fact, as I peruse the HANA takeout chart I’m amazed at how many venues have too-high takeouts in many of their pools. So-called major venues too. Looks to me like many whole states ought to be boycotted.

fmolf
03-02-2011, 09:04 PM
when cal.tracks went to synthetics i stoppedbetting any money their....then they went to dirt and on successful days at nyra tracks i played cal. a bit,then came the takeout increase so i began another boycott thisone hopefully will be heard loud and clear by the board and the horseman and the owners!How long will the owners race their horses if purses go down and horses continue to breakdown at an alarming rate!...cal racing seems to be in dire straits!

Eddie W
03-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Calif tracks are my tracks, this is where i i'am from..I saw seattle slew
got beat at hollywood park...There was over 60,000 people that day
i will never forget it....I saw the great cystal water run ack ack
I have won with sa and hol....Iam from southern calif and , I will never forget
those days...

pondman
03-23-2011, 02:09 PM

I take wheelbarrows full of money from California on nose bets. I'm not a huge better (usually $100- $300 to win on spot plays.) It's got big enough pools to be consistent. If you think the take is killing your advantage, then stop. It hasn't hurt mine.

Why should I stop?