PDA

View Full Version : Is Ray Paulick "losing it"? You make the call!

andymays
02-14-2011, 08:48 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/chrb-needs-to-lol/

Excerpt:

So here’s the point, Chairman Brackpool. The misery is palpable, even to someone 2,000 miles away in Kentucky. No single decision you or your fellow board members agree to is going to make everyone happy – at least as long as Jerry Jamgotchian is around. Everyone is stressed out – including you, sir.

To lessen the misery, I offer a sincere suggestion, one I discovered Sunday night on the NBC Nightly News. Come to think of it, in the land of fruits and nuts that is California, this idea makes a lot of sense now that Jerry Brown, dubbed Gov. Moonbeam many years ago by the great Mike Royko, is back in the state house.

Please, do horse racing a favor, and begin each CHRB meeting with some levity. Go deep into the CHRB’s budget, and bring in the “giggling guru,” Dr. Madan Kataria, from Bangalore, India, to help set the tone for each meeting. For the first 10 minutes, everyone laughs and does nothing else.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/chrb-needs-to-lol/

johnhannibalsmith
02-14-2011, 09:11 PM
In my opinion, this piece reads like an answer to claims that Paulick is in the bag for the various California acronyms.

A little bark, but no bite, and just enough of a satircal undertone that he can both try to appear concerned about the "state" of California and remain less-than-pointed with his grievances.

Granted, most people read into things what we/they want to or with a perspective that can be tough to shake, but this seems like a clever (well...) method of addressing what he seems less-than-inclined to address and keeping the water ripple-free.

thaskalos
02-14-2011, 09:27 PM
The CHRB doesn't need the "Giggling Guru" to help make them laugh; they have been laughing at our expense for years now, without any trouble...

Hanover1
02-14-2011, 09:35 PM
As the thread title indicates, Paulick keeps his friends close......

Southieboy
02-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Maybe he can stand out in the rain. :p

Ray Paulick
02-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the concern.

jelly
02-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Ray will do anything to get someone to visit his site.

Horseplayersbet.com
02-14-2011, 11:07 PM
I liked Shutter Island, but this was more Monty Python like stuff. The song Always Look On The Bright Side of Life is probably most appropriate.

Dave Schwartz
02-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Special Note to PA:

This poll shows me the poll choices, yet when I try to vote insists I have already voted. I assure you I have not.

Dave

Greyfox
02-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Special Note to PA:

This poll shows me the poll choices, yet when I try to vote insists I have already voted. I assure you I have not.

Dave

The poll results were set up by an advisor to the Afghanistan government. ;)

Kelso
02-14-2011, 11:43 PM
I think Paulick had nothing good he could spin for his California masters today ... and of course he can't afford to say anything bad about them ... so he just phoned this one in.

Dave Schwartz
02-15-2011, 01:06 AM
How did I vote, I wonder?

PaceAdvantage
02-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Special Note to PA:

DaveMust have been some sort of fluke confluence of mouse and keyboard...we don't make these kinds of mistakes on our end. :lol:

JustRalph
02-15-2011, 01:45 AM

can you feel the Piranha circling you.........stick around...... I dare you .

PaceAdvantage
02-15-2011, 01:58 AM
can you feel the Piranha circling you.........stick around...... I dare you .We have enough dramatics around here without you piling on... :lol:

These waters are carnivore free...I guarantee it!

appistappis
02-15-2011, 02:33 AM
"I played a great horse yesterday...it took seven others to beat him."
"The horse was so slow the jockey kept a diary of the trip."
"The horse was so late getting home, he tiptoed into the stable."
"My horse was at the $2 window betting another horse."

henny youngman

andymays
02-15-2011, 09:33 AM

C'mon Ray. You can give us a little more play than that. I posted twice on your site. Share the hits and the love. ;)

The_Knight_Sky
02-15-2011, 10:10 AM
can you feel the Piranha circling you. http://i54.tinypic.com/2zh386b.gif
........stick around...... I dare you .

Many moons ago I remember Mr. Paulick taking the CHRB to task (and rightfully so) but there has been a complete 180 degree turnaround in the way the California racing news has been presented at PR.

In the name of objectivity and fairness, I wish PR can return to its roots and make ultimately make a difference. California racing is too important to the racing industry to be allowed to languish. Too important to be sugarcoated.

While it looks like Ray Paulick has stepped up to the windows, clearly he's backing the wrong horse in this race. But that does not mean he cannot cancel the wager. :ThmbUp:

andicap
02-15-2011, 10:42 AM
My hunch is that Ray was trying to do a little tongue-in-cheek column that didn't quite translate well to print.

That has happened to all of us writers at one time or another.

Stillriledup
02-15-2011, 11:46 PM
My hunch is that Ray was trying to do a little tongue-in-cheek column that didn't quite translate well to print.

That has happened to all of us writers at one time or another.

This makes some sense. I don't want to stick up for Him, but he might have thought 'hey, this is a funny idea" and then when it came out, it wasnt as funny as he thought it might be.

I think he meant well, its just that this situation is no laughing matter and a lot of people dont want to hear that someone is suggesting that the CHRB 'laugh' about anything.

thaskalos
02-16-2011, 12:23 AM
I think he meant well, its just that this situation is no laughing matter and a lot of people dont want to hear that someone is suggesting that the CHRB 'laugh' about anything.I agree...

What is especially troubling is the thought of the CHRB laughing...while we horseplayers cry, as we remember what California racing was...and what it has now become.

Bruddah
02-16-2011, 01:11 AM
In my humble opinion, Paulick deserves no pity or sympathy. He made his bed and he should be forced to to lay on it. :ThmbDown: May his readership shrivel up.

I am very ticked off about his article and wish a pox on him.

Ray Paulick
02-16-2011, 08:49 AM
I am very ticked off about his article and wish a pox on him.

May I suggest a group laughter session here on Pace Advantage, led by this gentleman, known as Bruddah? It might do wonders for bringing clarity to your handicapping and wagering decisions. Seems to be a lot of stress and angst around here. Can't hurt.

Cardus
02-16-2011, 09:38 AM
May I suggest a group laughter session here on Pace Advantage, led by this gentleman, known as Bruddah? It might do wonders for bringing clarity to your handicapping and wagering decisions. Seems to be a lot of stress and angst around here. Can't hurt.

This gets a coveted "Amen Ray"!

johnhannibalsmith
02-16-2011, 09:43 AM
... Seems to be a lot of stress and angst around here. Can't hurt.

We'ed appeciate you stopping by more often. Doobie a regular.

If you had as many readers as this site does, the stress level at your joint, would be about the same, maybe higher.

Well, maybe not. What's left of your readership probably constitutes a decent segment of the medical cannabanoid smoking population.

It's too late to make a gratuitous "gone to pot" reference.

Light enough? Or wrong implied subject? :cool:

OTM Al
02-16-2011, 10:09 AM
I love how going against the grain is cheered until one's own position is questioned. I got an Amen Cardus (and Ray by proxie)!

Bruddah
02-16-2011, 11:12 AM

No matter how much "kissing up" you do to Horse Players, some of us won't kiss and make up. If there is any angst on my part, it's because you are still in business. When you shutter your windows, I hope our message to the Industry will finally be delivered.

Don't stab me and my friends in the back and then say it helps our handicapping and wagering decisions to laugh it off. Your arrogance is only superceded by your ignorance. Can you say goodnite Ray? It may be a slow death, but a certain one.

andymays
02-16-2011, 11:17 AM

Ray, maybe if you stick around it might do wonders for bringing clarity to your editorial decisions. Just sayin. ;)

Cardus
02-16-2011, 12:34 PM

If you had as many readers as this site does, the stress level at your joint, would be about the same, maybe higher.

Well, maybe not. What's left of your readership probably constitutes a decent segment of the medical cannabanoid smoking population.

His readership is probably bigger than Pricci's, for what it's worth.

johnhannibalsmith
02-16-2011, 01:01 PM
His readership is probably bigger than Pricci's, for what it's worth.

I can honestly admit that I don't recall ever being at Pricci's site. In fact, the whole big episode over comments or whatever happened was when I first became consciously aware of its existence.

Iza just trying to take Mr. Paulick's advice, using one of his styles blended with my own brand of insanity.

Like Amen Bruddah, I feel a level of betrayal, so to speak. Not on a personal level, but that much like this place, Mr. Paulick's site was a place to attract all the warring entities in one place to hash out differences.

I know he is a writer first and a critical thinker fourth. But, I'm afraid that when he relied on his critical thinking to write on a particular subject (more accurately several specific subjects that are intertwined), he lost many of those that are critical thinkers first, namely handicappers, bettors, and racing's customers.

This isn't fact, it is opinion.

To get to the heart of why he feels as though Pace Advantage is full of misery is to get to the heart of both why the majority consituency here have felt "betrayed" and also why racing continues to decline.

Again, just opinion.

Paulick has served a very functional, important role in the past and for some time appeared to only be enhancing his role in that capacity. The wheels seem to have come off in that regard. Now it seems at times, in certain contexts, that he's decided to just allow friends push the car safely to the side of the road and skip the trip to the shop for repairs.

But that's just my opinion, I'm probably wrong. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be said.

Ray Paulick
02-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Tough, brilliant crowd. I'll go back under my rock now.

Dahoss9698
02-16-2011, 03:57 PM

You shouldn't. I've noticed being on the opposite side of the majority here usually means you are right, or at the very least speaking the truth, which is hard for some people.

johnhannibalsmith
02-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Well said. :ThmbUp:

Bruddah
02-16-2011, 04:18 PM

Best place for back stabbing subterranian life forms. :ThmbUp:

Cardus
02-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Best place for back stabbing subterranian life forms. :ThmbUp:

You're on a roll.

I could have quoted any post of yours in this thread and recommended that you read Mountainman's "Handicappers Behaving Badly" thread from January 11 asking for civility on this board.

You're petulant, and isn't it just a little unbecoming?

OOH-RAH!!

andymays
02-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Ray, forget the thread title and let's get the heart of the matter.

How can you defend the way Horseplayers are treated at the CHRB meetings? You know what I'm reffering to because you were there that day.

I've asked you on several occasions to do an article on the retention cap sponsored by the TOC but you've evaded that issue.

A few months ago you were being pretty even handed when it came to the content on your website. As you well know the day you decided to imply something that wasn't true and then write an article about it later in the day was a low point for your site. Then the infamous "hit piece" took the cake. Especially when it seemed coordinated with the TOC spokesman at the Santa Anita meeting I attended.

As I said on your site more than once I have been one of HANA's harshest critics at times but some of the stuff you've written is beyond bad. For the millionth time HANA is not causing the drop in handle. It's the bad publicity coming from California Leadership over the last couple of years. It's the short fields. Wasn't the takeout increase supposed to cure all that short field stuff?

Cardus
02-16-2011, 04:40 PM

Yesterday, it was me, today, Wes Welker.

Bruddah
02-16-2011, 05:14 PM
You're on a roll.

I could have quoted any post of yours in this thread and recommended that you read Mountainman's "Handicappers Behaving Badly" thread from January 11 asking for civility on this board.

You're petulant, and isn't it just a little unbecoming?

OOH-RAH!!

Three facts Cardus my boy.

1. He has stabbed Horse Players in the back. Especially California Horse Players.

2. He was the one that said he lived under a rock.

3. He is a life form.

Unbecoming and petulant? Not in the least! Stating facts with the minimum use of foul abusive language. OOH-RAH!! :ThmbUp:

Cardus
02-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Three facts Cardus my boy.

1. He has stabbed Horse Players in the back. Especially California Horse Players.

2. He was the one that said he lived under a rock.

3. He is a life form.

Unbecoming and petulant? Not in the least! Stating facts with the minimum use of foul abusive language. OOH-RAH!! :ThmbUp:

Your posts are petulant.

I don't know if you are a HANA member or not, but if you feel that this is an effective way to show what HANA is about, have at it.

A few weeks ago, you were a 60s campus radical: "Vive La Revolution". C'mon, bro.

Today, a petulant poster.

DeanT
02-16-2011, 06:02 PM
I don't know if you are a HANA member or not, but if you feel that this is an effective way to show what HANA is about, have at it.

I don't know either, but please.

He is from Mississippi according to his sign-on.

Would you write "I don't know if you are from Mississippi or not, but if you feel that this is an effective way to show what people from Mississippi are about, have at it."

Dahoss9698
02-16-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't know either, but please.

He is from Mississippi according to his sign-on.

Would you write "I don't know if you are from Mississippi or not, but if you feel that this is an effective way to show what people from Mississippi are about, have at it."

Quite a comparison. :lol:

jelly
02-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Advertise with Ray Paulick and he'll be on your side.

Right now he's on the side of Cal Racing,Twinspires and Expess bet.

Stillriledup
02-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Ray, forget the thread title and let's get the heart of the matter.

How can you defend the way Horseplayers are treated at the CHRB meetings? You know what I'm reffering to because you were there that day.

I've asked you on several occasions to do an article on the retention cap sponsored by the TOC but you've evaded that issue.

A few months ago you were being pretty even handed when it came to the content on your website. As you well know the day you decided to imply something that wasn't true and then write an article about it later in the day was a low point for your site. Then the infamous "hit piece" took the cake. Especially when it seemed coordinated with the TOC spokesman at the Santa Anita meeting I attended.

As I said on your site more than once I have been one of HANA's harshest critics at times but some of the stuff you've written is beyond bad. For the millionth time HANA is not causing the drop in handle. It's the bad publicity coming from California Leadership over the last couple of years. It's the short fields. Wasn't the takeout increase supposed to cure all that short field stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6VtI1i89yk

Hanover1
02-16-2011, 08:25 PM
You shouldn't. I've noticed being on the opposite side of the majority here usually means you are right, or at the very least speaking the truth, which is hard for some people.

And how..... :lol:

Bruddah
02-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Your posts are petulant.

A few weeks ago, you were a 60s campus radical: "Vive La Revolution". C'mon, bro.

Today, a petulant poster.

Hate to burst your anti HANA bubble, but I am not a member. My anti Paulick rhetorick is that of a 60+ yr old Horse Player, who has been betrayed and stabbed in the back, by someone I thought was a friend of the average Horse Player. (my bad for getting that wrong)

I don't get extremely angry about much in life. But, I am extremely angry at Paulick. (Here's where I get petulant.) The thing is, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, well, in this instance that's not going to happen.

If you want to get kissy kissy with him, well that's your CIVIL choice. I will say sometimes there is a little too much ass kissing of Industry personalities on this forum. Sometimes they need to get their arrogant asses kicked and straightened out.

Sooo, it comes down to this. He made his bed and needs to lay in it. And, some of us will never go kissy kissy, all is forgiven.

Sooo this is how Petulance feels. Gawd, I luv it. :lol:

JustRalph
02-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Horse racing media is ripe for "disruption" at the same level some tech companies get done in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptive_technology

The problem is, disruption can only occur in a market or business field that is ripe for profit. The Horse racing game is losing fans, users etc. This speaks to the flailing and the gawkerization of places like the "paulick report"

This may insulate the Standard Horse racing media from someone coming in and changing the way the game is received by the players. But there are new tech horizons that are coming............

Bruddah
02-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Horse racing media is ripe for "disruption" at the same level some tech companies get done in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disruptive_technology

The problem is, disruption can only occur in a market or business field that is ripe for profit. The Horse racing game is losing fans, users etc. This speaks to the flailing and the gawkerization of places like the "paulick report"

This may insulate the Standard Horse racing media from someone coming in and changing the way the game is received by the players. But there are new tech horizons that are coming............

Ralphie boy, you are a deep thinker. But, your analysis and example or right on target. :ThmbUp:

Cardus
02-17-2011, 04:39 PM
1) Hate to burst your anti HANA bubble, but I am not a member. My anti Paulick rhetorick is that of a 60+ yr old Horse Player, who has been betrayed and stabbed in the back, by someone I thought was a friend of the average Horse Player. (my bad for getting that wrong)

I don't get extremely angry about much in life. But, I am extremely angry at Paulick. (Here's where I get petulant.) The thing is, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, well, in this instance that's not going to happen.

2) If you want to get kissy kissy with him, well that's your CIVIL choice. I will say sometimes there is a little too much ass kissing of Industry personalities on this forum. Sometimes they need to get their arrogant asses kicked and straightened out.

Sooo, it comes down to this. He made his bed and needs to lay in it. And, some of us will never go kissy kissy, all is forgiven.

Sooo this is how Petulance feels. Gawd, I luv it. :lol:

1) I don't have an "anti-HANA" bubble to burst, my boy.

2) You're telling me that "industry personalities'" asses are kissed here? I am way ahead of you on recgonizing that.

Aren't you the bad ass straightening out people. You go! OOH-RAH!

Bruddah
02-17-2011, 07:09 PM
1) I don't have an "anti-HANA" bubble to burst, my boy.

2) You're telling me that "industry personalities'" asses are kissed here? I am way ahead of you on recgonizing that.

Aren't you the bad ass straightening out people. You go! OOH-RAH!

If need be.

JustRalph
03-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Ralphie boy, you are a deep thinker. But, your analysis and example or right on target. :ThmbUp:

Thanks..... I missed this post somehow for a couple of weeks. Tell this guy

http://paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1059928&postcount=22
:lol:

riskman
03-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Anyone who admires a wise guy deserves "respect".
Better watch your step or someone will come looking for you some dark night. :D :D